Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BRULEWADER

Quarry trout

13 posts in this topic

the dnr has stocked trout in many of the quarrys in the st. cloud area. I was wondering if anyone has ice fished for them with any success.

Benzy Quarry - 73071900

Rainbow Trout - 96 yearlings weighing 33.2 lbs.

Eleven Quarry - 73070300

Rainbow Trout - 69 yearlings weighing 23.9 lbs.

Horseshoe Quarry - 73071400

Rainbow Trout - 55 yearlings weighing 19.1 lbs.

Melrose Deep Quarry - 73070100

Rainbow Trout - 83 yearlings weighing 28.8 lbs.

Melrose Red Quarry - 73070400

Rainbow Trout - 201 yearlings weighing 69.8 lbs.

Nine Quarry - 73071100

Rainbow Trout - 110 yearlings weighing 38.1 lbs.

Oberg Quarry - 73070600

Stony Creek

Brook Trout - 999 fingerlings weighing 10.4 lbs.

Thielman Quarry - 73070900

Trabetusky Quarry - 73071000

Rainbow Trout - 110 yearlings weighing 38.1 lbs.

Watab, Big - 73010200

Brown Trout - 2,000 yearlings weighing 274.7 lbs.

Rainbow Trout - 10,866 yearlings weighing 4,277.3 lbs.

Willow Creek

Brown Trout - 600 yearlings weighing 82.4 lbs.

Not to steal your post but does anyone know the name of the quarries at the end of University Drive near the prison?

You cant go there, if you do the prison people will chase you off or could arrest you. I use to live down there and my roomate went in there and got chased out by guards.

I was just wondering if it has a name though. Nice bike trails back there.

I get out there in the summer all the time and do well on 12-14 inch rainbows. Nearly all the pits are good fishing. I've never been out there in the winter. I chase the toothy ones through the ice.

If you go and have any luck let us know.

Never knew they stocked them particular quarries. As for going back to them, I've been out there quite a bit shed racking. Never had any guards from the prison ever bother me. Actually have walked pretty close to the granite prison walls, was waived at by a guard in one of the guard towers. I also lived in cloudy for 35 yrs. 8 city blocks from these quarries. The property is owned by St.Cloud State University and it is posted at certain places. This posting brings back some very interesting memories, we use to have large keg parties back there. Thanks for the info about the trout, have done well at the Waite Park quarries 10- 15 inchers in the summer.

Always wanted to try for some Trout in the winter, probably changes their patterns alot but who knows. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried any of those quarries in the winter and had much success.

Great memories for me too. I fished trout by the prison around 1970. We used corn for bait. Great fishing.

Good Swimming, tanning and drinking area.

We even tossed a few Fox Deluxe brews over the grey granite walls.

tweed

Yeah, it's campus security that kicks you out of there. Liability issues I suppose, but it is fun out there in the summer. On hot days there can be over a hundred people out there.

I talked to a guy down by the campus dam last year and he told me to go out there with corn for bait to catch them trout. You ever fish down by campus Tweedlap, or is that common way to fish trout?

Back to my question does anyone know the name of the actual quarry??

Gopher,

Corn is all we used out there. Over the years I have used a mini marshmallow with a piece of corn. They seem to like that, too.

I used to fish below the dam. Sometimes we fished walleyes and caught quite a few. I remember catching a lot of crappies about a block below the dam; on the east side.

tweed

Dod#1,Dod#2, and horseshoe. And i do believe there are a couple more small ones. This is what we called them in the 1980's. I am very disturbed that I never tried fishing those trout. When we swam in the dods there were alot of small sunnies. I fished below the dam alot, lots of eyes on the university side. Fishing was much better before the hydro dam was built. Twister tails on the edge of eddys. Man I miss the days of laying in the sun smokin' and sucking beer checking out all the ladies, them quarries are the best memories for me. Still can't imagine I was swimming with trout and never had a clue. Nobody fished the quarries in my generation.

I know that its been hashed out before under the subject of Watab, but how does one target trout through the ice? is it similar to the summer where corn or waxies work? what depth do you want to look for? I've heard shallower, but i have never ice fished trout.

check out the trout section. alot of good info there.