• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oak Island Reports?

Headed up to Angle Inn Lodge in a few days - hopefully it's as successful of a trip as the past 2 have been. Any reports?

Spent last Friday-Sunday up in the Angle area. The fishing up there continues to be steady with nice limits being taken each day! Has been alot of nicer fish being caught in the Oak Island area as well. The fishing will only continue to get better up there from now till spring so you should be in for a great trip.

Hey Deadstick I am heading up there as well in a couple of weeks if you could report back with what you find it would be greatly appreciated.

Never had a bad trip up there yet and this year should be no different. Headed up Sat - Tue . so I will let you know how we did and what seems to be working. When we went up last year it seemed that the deadsticks worked best but most times jigging spoons is the most productive. Hopefully some pics of some HOGS grin.gif

Thanks NAMA, we're leaving early tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it went, we'll be fishing around Oak Island Friday - Sunday.

i was up their last weekend and managed over 80 fish with my two brothers their! it was a blast! we caught most of out fish wiht a rattlin buck shot. red the preferd color or else shiners and a plain orange hook.

Hey Honker Down, I'll be heading up there on March 2nd, Sunday for a few days with four other guys. When you heading up there? Also I'll be looking for reports from Deadstick as well. Staying at Angle Inn and using portables around the area. Can't wait!

Got back about 8pm last night. 10 of us fished 3 days out of Angle Inn Lodge - fishing was slower than we're used to up there, but still good. All 10 of us easily came home with limits of walleye and sauger, along with some perch. We also had 2 all-you-can eat fish dinners, so we caught plenty of fish - but it wasn't the type of bite where you can't keep 2 lines down. Weather could have easily been the culprit (it was nasty out there on Saturday, obviously). We got some nice fish (6-7 in the slot), the nicest being 27". We also got very nice saugers (a number of 16") and overall, actually caught more saugers than walleye (on Saturday, one house caught over a dozen keeper saugers and only one walleye). We only kept walleye over 14" and sauger over 13" (threw back a lot of 12"). We were fishing in 23-28' of water, south of Oak Island.

As far as lures, I did best on pink jigs (I was using a pink demon and a pink doodlebug), and also caught a fair amount on a small blue rapala (I put a dropper hook on the bottom with a larger treble hook), and on a white ratso jig (with the built-in plastic worm cut off). Guys in some of the other houses had their best luck on red buckshots (I was scaring them away with rattles) with a trailer hook off the bottom, or on gold forage minnow droppers (basically a gold gemineye). The bite was usually pretty light, on my deadsticks I was letting them take it way under, and then gradually lifting up until I felt a long tug, as opposed to just taps (some of the guys missed a ton of fish due to the light bite). On the ones I got with the rapala, I was shaking it just off the bottom - they'd then come up and stare at it, not taking it until I rose it up off the bottom sometimes up to 5-6' off the bottom.

We also had a fair amount of tulibee (which we didn't keep) and only 3 burbout.

Good luck, hope it helps - I'd start off with a buckshot on one rod (tipped with a minnow head) and a small pink jig (full minnow) on your deadstick, then experiment from there. If you don't have a flasher, I'd just use small jigs under bobbers - without my Vexilar, the rapala wouldn't have worked for me (the guys having luck on the buckshots were doing something similar, rattling and then raising it up off the bottom to trigger the strike).

WPH,

I was up there the same time as you last year. The rest of our group are up there right now. I did not go because of family things but they called me this morning and they just smoked them yesterday. They had 3 in the slot with the biggest being 25 1/2. Lots of fish to be caught. One thing they did say it was COLD!! Later.

Froggy