• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tip Up Fishing Problem

Hey everyone. We have a little private type lake up at our cabin that we have been Tip-up fishing for northerns the last few weekends. This is my first time really tip-up fishing for northerns. The lake is loaded with them and we have been getting alot of flags to go. The problem is that it seems we are not using the right hooks. The majority of the fish get off due to the hook bending out the mouth. We have been losing alot more then catching. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best lures or hooks to use to fix this problem.

Thanks, Bus

We were just using lead head jigs. But obviously they were very week hooks. Or maybe we are just using too small of ones.

I've had good luck with these types of jigs on tip ups, seems to hook them in the corner of the mouth too, meaning less breakoffs. You can find them at most bait stores:

jb.gif

If you are going to keep using a plain hook setup,maybe you should consider using Kahle hooks.Have you considered using quick strike rigs instead of a plain hook? These rigs are available from all kinds of retailers,or you can tie your own.There is a good thread over at the Muskie-Northern Pike forum on how to tie quick strikes from about mid January, or so.

Here's a link to the quick strike thread:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1219235#Post1219235

I usually use a plain hook rig and sometimes add a colored blade to it too. I always use circle style hooks and we don't miss too many strikes. When they do hook, it's always in the corner of the mouth. If you are using decent sized minnows, take a look at them if you miss a hook set. You should see teeth marks. Sometimes the northern doesn't always have the hook in their mouth yet and they are holding on by the head. Northerns usually strike first and make a run, then they stop and turn the minnow around and swallow.

If the fish is continuously bending the hook strait, start looking for hooks that use heaveir gauge hooks. Also, the type of metal used in the hook may also allow it to bend easier. Stay away from fishing stuff made in China to get the best product.

Sounds good, thanks guys. Like I said, im pretty new to tipup fishing, actually, didnt catch my first fish on one until 2 weeekends ago.

Bus

Sounds like you just need more time on the ice!! grin.gif Tip-up fishing is fun, there's no doubt about it! Nothin like seeing that flag go up and watching the spool spin like a top!

Trebble hooks are a must! I make a northern tipup trip every year in march to northdakota. Have caught some really Big Fish im looking for a 30lber this year.have a 25 and 28 on the wall already.Use steel leaders as well. Braided line of course I use about the 40-50lb test. Red hooks if possible otherwise the normal works well. Id look for a 1 or 2 size 4x or 6x strong made from nickle!These hooks definately work I use them in alaska King Salmon fishing as well. Good luck!

Quikstrike rigs work very well, Circle hooks good as long as you don't try to set the hook as you would with plain hooks. Circle hooks you just hold the line tight the hook should stick in the corner of the fishes mouth.

A word of caution on treble hooks in MN. You can not simply fish with just a plain treble hook. Per the regs, that is considered 3 hooks, which is illegal. A treble hook is considered 1 hook if it is a part of an artificial lure, therefore legal.

Originally Posted By: Snootaloofagis
A word of caution on treble hooks in MN. You can not simply fish with just a plain treble hook. Per the regs, that is considered 3 hooks, which is illegal. A treble hook is considered 1 hook if it is a part of an artificial lure, therefore legal.

I believe that you can use a treble hook in MN as long as it has a little spoon (spinner) attached. Correct?

I just checked the regulations and like mentioned above it references the use of an artificial lure with a treble hook. I may need to check with the DNR on that one to be sure.

I agree that it may be best to consult the DNR as to the definition of an "artificial lure". I've always just played it safe and used kahle hooks, sometimes with a heavy mono leader that has some glow beads and maybe a spinner blade attached. In my experience, the kahle's always provide a good hook set, and success is based more on the type of bait you're using versus what type of hook set-up you have.

About 5 yrs back I went up to LOTW for a late ice pike trip. I was told by my local DNR that if it is part of a lure it is ok. As in you put a spinner blad on it and a couple of beads and you are OK. Things may have changed but that was what it was then.

You may also want longer line. If they are bending the hook they are probably running out of line while still running. The guy at Cabelas tried to sell me 25yd line. If you are not watching it they will pull that in seconds. I like to have a minute or two to get there(not as young as I used to be). Worth a try though.

I always use about 50 yds. of line on a tip. Unless i'm standing within 50ft of it, and fishing real shallow water.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I was just using old hooks that ive had forever. I am not new to ice fishing at all, i just am new to using tip-ups. Also, I have plenty of line on them, the fish never run the line out. I will just get some new lures and hooks.

Bus