• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Read G----r M------n Small Print BEFORE buying electronics

barracuda

Question

OK - that's it for me!! Tonight was the last straw. I'm done with this outfit. Take heed of my lesson learned.....if you shop for electronics, better know exactly what you want and what you are getting BEFORE you purchase, or it's going to cost you.

I bought a Raymarine 101 VHS handheld last week. Took it home. Charger didn't work. Took it back next day. Cool...100% refund/exchanged for another. Took replacement home to charge, and then to fishhouse on FL. Tried firing up the weather channel, but nothing but static received...unless I walked outside. Then to compare, I fired up the old Hummingbird handheld right next to it, and out spews the weather clear as a bell. But not on the Raymarine.

So I sucked it up and drove 30 miles to C----- s and got another Hummingbird earlier today. Then went back to return the Raymarine. Being honest, I said it may work fine for someone, but not good enough reception for me. Well, since it wasn't "broken", it cost me 10% ($20) in restocking fee to return it. I was shown the small print on the return counter for electronics, but of course that wasn't mentioned when you're shopping and buying at the electronics counter. So cost me $20 to pay someone to walk that crappy, overpriced, but not broken, radio back to the electronics counter - all packed back up just like when I bought it. Nice little profit. And the last one they'll get from me. As so often we are all warned... beware....and read the small print.

22 answers to this question

I am sorry this happened to you, but unfortunately reading the sales receipt is a little too late, you already bought the item.

You have to ask about return policy before the purchase.

Many retailers have a restocking fee to protect themselves from some issues there have been with very few people. Too bad the rest of us have to pay for it.

There are a lot of places that will not allow return on eletronics at all. Some do...

policy or not, this isn't good practice for keeping customers. Cuda will obviously not be back to GM, and I can't say I blame him, in his situation, I'd likely have spoken to a mgr and not returned either. I've always been huge on customer service. If I go somewhere and I'm not treated right, I leave and never return. On the other hand, if I go somewhere and someone goes over and above what I'd expect, I will literally go out of my way to patronize them. I drive much farther than I should for alot of things, because my locals didn't treat me right, and someone else thought I was worth having as a customer. It's not like the item he bought worked to his expectation. it's not his fault, and the store should have taken it back, even for store credit. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP CUDA!!!

I always check the return policy on any major purchase I make. They all can vary and you won't know until you ask.

The Forest Lake store has a posting back by the electronics saying there is a 30 day money back on un opened items. And a 30 day money back -10% on opened items. It isn't a big sign but it is there.

WS

So Ryan, what happens if a guy buys a GPS. He gets it home and to his knowledge is working as he suspects it probably can. The next time he goes out his buddy shows up with a different brand GPS and our guy is suddenly enlightened to the fact that his GPS isn't as good as he thought it was. It takes much longer to connect to satellites and isn't nearly as accurate. Now, he's bummed because he discovered there are better units out there. Does he now have a right to return it for a full refund?

If I understand the original poster correctly, he purchased an electronic component and later discovered that it didn't perform nearly as well as a different unit/model he already has. Maybe the new one is performing as designed, maybe not. Don't know for sure but one thing is certain, when it comes to electronic/electrical equipment, whether auto parts or fishing components, there rarely is a return policy once the package seal has been broken.

Bob

I agree, in automotive, they will not take electronic parts back at all, at least most places. GM has a good cs, and Im sure they would do almost anything to keep a person happy, but some times rules are made for a reason, and they cant break them.

That's ridiculous I would had 100 percent of my money back before leaving the store.

Comparing automotive parts to this makes no sense at all.

I have had good/bad issues dealing with GM. On the other hand I have never had one bad issue dealing with Cabelas Customer Service. They get a grad A in my book and I go out of my way to make any major purchases there.

PB, I think I would have also, or atleast talked to the manager of the store. If they are selling a bad product then they should stand behind it. But I think I would have gone about it differently, I would have just stated that this is my second one I had a problem with in a week, I dont want to make it 3! Please give me my money back, Im sure I would have been happy with a full refund in an instore credit. Which Im sure they would have done.

In today's society it is the " It's not my fault" mentality.

While I don't care for GM for other reasons the CS has always been good. Lying about the product not working is just wrong.

Mike

Who said it would be lying? He said he tried the radio, it didnt work! He then went outside and said it seemed to work. There could have been another problem that caused this, such as an internal antenna! He compared it to a different model, wich had reception, so was there a problem with the second one? Or was it just cheap piece of junk that couldnt get good reception? So I wasnt saying to lie! I would assume that because it didnt have reception that there would have been something wrong with this one also.

GM customer service has improved alot in the last 1-2 years. It was poor before that, but they have changed that.

I worked in CC retails stores in the past...It's to deter people from using something just for competition/tournament and return it afterwards.

It's not going to prevent them from doing it...

Originally Posted By: barracuda
OK - that's it for me!! Tonight was the last straw. I'm done with this outfit. Take heed of my lesson learned.....if you shop for electronics, better know exactly what you want and what you are getting BEFORE you purchase, or it's going to cost you.

I bought a Raymarine 101 VHS handheld last week. Took it home. Charger didn't work. Took it back next day. Cool...100% refund/exchanged for another. Took replacement home to charge, and then to fishhouse on FL. Tried firing up the weather channel, but nothing but static received...unless I walked outside. Then to compare, I fired up the old Hummingbird handheld right next to it, and out spews the weather clear as a bell. But not on the Raymarine.

So I sucked it up and drove 30 miles to C----- s and got another Hummingbird earlier today. Then went back to return the Raymarine. Being honest, I said it may work fine for someone, but not good enough reception for me. Well, since it wasn't "broken", it cost me 10% ($20) in restocking fee to return it. I was shown the small print on the return counter for electronics, but of course that wasn't mentioned when you're shopping and buying at the electronics counter. So cost me $20 to pay someone to walk that crappy, overpriced, but not broken, radio back to the electronics counter - all packed back up just like when I bought it. Nice little profit. And the last one they'll get from me. As so often we are all warned... beware....and read the small print.

Did you put it on a credit card? If so, I would dispute the charge with your card issuer. I would consider that unit as defective or definitely of substandard quality. Refund policy or not if it is defective or of poor quality the card company won't even consider the merchants policy and even if they do have such a policy most cards would require them to display it on the sales receipt you sign for the charge and not a sign on a desk.

If it were me, and I put it on a card, I would dispute it.

I don't have a problem with Gander Mountain's return policy for a couple of different reasons.

Why not contact the manufacturer first. Maybe there is a quick fix that they know about or maybe they will send you a new radio.

It's printed right on your receipt what the return policy is. There are also signs up at the fishing and customer service counters.

A lot of electronics come in plastic packaging these days. If someone was to return a product (that still works) with the packaging all cut up there is no way they will be able to sell it again for full retail value.

I have had great luck with Gander's customer service on Guide series rods and reels. I brought a rod in with a broken tip and walked out the door with a brand new rod without a hassle at all.

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion, I understand that but I have no problems spending my money at their stores.

That sux that you lost 20 bucks, but they have policy for a reason.

Imagine this scenario. I am going to LOW in march with some friends and co-workers. Some of Ice ice fish regularly some do not. Some of us have Marcum's and cameras, but most do not. If they didn't have policies on expensive electronics, what would stop someone from purchasing a unit, using it for a weekend and then returning it. And, they could do this every year.

Any store that sells electronics has a similar policy, as once its open, I believe they can't legally sell it as new. BB does the same thing, as people would buy stuff for trips, or a big screen for the super bowl and then return then. So it basically would wipe out the profit margin on it. If its defective, then you should be able to exchange it no questions asked. If you just don't like it, then that's different.

It stinks but its not that retailer picking on you. I am definitely not a supporter of them, and have been critical of there service in the past, but to be fair I have returned a few items recently without any issues. There are alot of things that you can't return and get your money back at all, such as CD's, movies, software, etc...

Hopefully you found what works best for you, good luck!

hmmm Gm has always been good to me. My return Story involves a rifle my brother purchased. It wasnt a return but it was a credit refund....you know from their famous " well beat the other guys at the lowest price" up to some percent in the fine print it says...no problem we foud the same gun within the percent cheaper at scheels. Gander was very sticky about refunding him the percent even with a recipt. after a few mins of debate the manager caved and said all right well get it to you cuz im having a bad day.....This is the only time I questioned thier policies...It seemed like they didnt want to give it to us even after pointing out the ads and both recipts and showing him the evidence...maybe juts a mangement thing??

When I don't see a price tag on something, chances are I won't buy it. Many times there's a price label and you go to cash register and it rings up way more than it should be. They call for price verification and then somebody changes the price labels. I hate that. Happens everywhere, I've shopped at.

The beat the competition plus additional X percent sounds a lot like the CC stores thingy. Same with the 30 days guaranteed low price, but stupid thing is if you buy before the sale, they give you the run around about it. Then it's like, I'll return it and get it on sale day, what's the diff. Then sometimes, they say, come back and do it.

The longest line is not the sale counter line, it's the return service/exchange line. That's the line I personally don't like to wait in. Few stores have efficient check out lanes. Stores like Lunds and Byerly's have the most efficient check out lanes. Funny how food can be compared to electronics. LOL's

I have generally had good experiences at GM, and met some nice guys in the fishing and firearms departments. However, last month I went to one of their stores to exchange an Ice Armor suit I received for Christmas. The size I wanted was on the rack, but it had obviously been worn fishing. The tags were removed, there was dirt on the bibs, and the previous owner left some small fishing accessories on the bibs. Obviously their return policy on clothing isn't too strict. I took the money (no problem with the return) and went to another retailer for a new suit. Not mad or anything, but kind of an "are you kidding me" moment.

That is the famous "home depot rental" deal that some folks do or did. Buy the tool at Home Depot, use it for the project and then return it. I presume that sort of behavior is the reason for restricted return policies all over. Buy the video camera to use on vacation or for the wedding then return it etc.

Some people ruin it for everyone.

Like I told Cuda over the weekend, you expect this at Best Buy, Circut City etc. but not GM. I used to work for a retailer that was pretty strict on returning some things, mainly, to prevent people from using it, for say a weekend, then returning it. I agree some stink should have been made and the fee reversed. It was only one day, in the middle of the week no less. I returned an electronic item at Joe's and had no problem. I've been less impressed and less impressed with GM over the last year. I'll drive the half hour to patronize Thorne Brothers rather than ten minutes to GM. Worth it every time!