Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnhunter 3815

zipple bay report

20 posts in this topic

i was up there fron saturday mornin till today.fishing was awesome.14 to 17 inch walleyes and saugers from 14 to 16 inches.alot of little 1's to keep ya busy before the bigger 1's come in.we were in 30 ft the bite didnt start till about 8 am.then die off around 10 am.then the dinks would move in.then from 11 am to 1 pm game on all nice size fish.from 1 pm to 3:30 pm the bite slowed but we managed to get a few in that time frame.from 3:30 pm till dark was slow.we did manage to get a few jumbo perch. 1 small mouth bass which i have a pic of that.3 pout,1 white fish.

here is my smallie

fishhouselakeofthewoods2008005.jpg

fishhouselakeofthewoods2008006.jpg

mnhunter-how many eyes and saugers did you average a day?

between 3 of us we caught over 50 fish.

were you jigging with minnow heads or using whole minnows under the bobber?

jigging and dead sticking both worked good.some times i ould put on the whole minnow on my jigging rod.but most of the time i just used the head.

did any of those three pout have any size?

how long were the perch? ive been to zipple a couple of times and didn't catch any big perch.

2 of the 3 pouts were very small.the last pout we caught was around 8 pounds.that thing was a hog.the perch were 12 inchers but fat.

did you clean up the big pout? my buddy cleaned up the 2-5 lbers we caught a couple weeks ago and he had a whole zipploc bag full of meat. ive watched him run a 1/4 mile across lotw to retrieve a pout [8 to 10 lber]. i don't even know how he spotted it. he's into it.

yup we kept the big 1.we got a few in the freezer we r going to try them out.

how are you going to cook em? boil and eat w/butter or what? ive never cooked em up.

we have never tried to cook pout.we heard do not boil them,but are going to boil some and deep fry some.

i'll have to ask my buddy how he cooks em. then if i remember i'll post it. buy then there will probably be 10 recipies posted on here. let me know how the pout supper goes.

Drop chunks into boiling water with salt and a bay leaf. You need a good rolling boil and don't add too much fish so you kill the boiling action. Let them roll in the water for 1 minute. Take them out and dry them off. Put them on a cookie sheet under the broiler until they are flaking and done. Now give them a shot of lemon juice and dip it in butter. Thats how they taste like lobster without rinsing away the taste or making them too tough by boiling them.

sounds good, have you ever tried to deep fry em?

mnhunter,

Nice report. Appreciate it. Two of us are going up to Zipple on 24-26th, so I am very interested in all tips and reports from there. I can never figure out why a walleye bite STOPS so early in the day, though. Seems like it might go shallower, but some other reports I've read say shallow water was dead?

Puzzles me. I am anxious to get up there and give it a try. Thanks again.

yes the shallows r very slow right now.give it a couple more weeks for the shallows to turn on.for now that 30 ft seemed to be the key.my bubby was sitting in 18ft and only managed 3 keepers in the afternoon.

How is the snow cover out of Zipple? I fished off Pine and Morris Point three weeks ago and was able to drive around pretty much anywhere out of Morris with my full size GMC. Is a person able to get away from the crowds out of Zipple with a full size truck?

you can drive about anywhere just gotta watch out for the snow drifts.