Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harvey lee

40hp E-tec

7 posts in this topic

I have a buddy looking at a 40 hp E-tec. Whats the deal with this motor? Good ,bad or what.

My father-in-law has one as is very pleased with it. However, I don't think he put enough hours on it to really get a good guage of the performance of the motor over time. He did say it was surpisingly quick on for a 40 on a 16 foot boat.

My dad put on on his 16 foot to replace a old 40 that burnt up. he likes it, no oil to change and it puts his boat at about 26 mph. The prop is as big as my 115 hp. 3 years no maintenance can not go wrong.

My dad has one (40hp) and loves it. It's on a pontoon that saw plenty of use this year with no issues. As far as power....hard to tell but it moves the pontoon fairly well....it's quite and good on oil. Easy to winterize!!

Very few problems. One complaint is the need to use their oil and it is expensive to the tune of $40 per gal. But otherwise, nice motor. I am currently running 2 250 hp e-Tecs on the township's fire/rescue boat.

I thought they couldn't require you to use their oil or they had to provide it, at least during warrantee period. Some FTC regulation or something like that.

i bought a 50hp 2 years ago. its a 1994 model that i bought it used. i had a 60 evinrude on the boat before, and the 50 etec performance is about equal. it does not troll as slow 2.5 mph with 50 vs. 1.2 with 60. it runs rougher at idle and i was told this is due to the motor being a 2 cyl vs the 3 cyl i was used to. it uses alot less gas and the oil consumption is not bad. i do run their oil in it. i was told you do not have to run their oil, but then they to reprogram the motor. i would buy another one.