Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quickstrike

Fresh Herring around Duluth?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had herring anywhere closer to Duluth than Washburn. With cold nights in the forecast I have a feeling I'll be scratching that Superior laker itch before my islands trip in a couple weeks. Only a little closer to home. I have a feeling I won't be able to get my hands on any fresh stuff, if there anywhere around here that has the packaged frozen stuff? I have always done better with herring than any other bait for lakers on the big pond, so any help would be great. Otherwise i've got some smelt and ciscos left over from inland laker fishing.

Oh yeah, if any you guys fishing off of 21st catch one and don't want it, you know where to find me! grin.gif

The grocery store, man. They should always have frozen, and sometimes when i check, they got nice freshies.

Hey Quick try giving russ at the general a call. He could have a place to start looking. In the next couple of days I'll see if I can find something for you.

thanks guys!

Call Jim and have him send you some. They should have gotten some down there by now.

Maybe Russ or another bait shop can get in touch with Bodins down here to stay in supply with some herring.. I know their delivery truck makes runs up to the north shore, so another stop might be doable along the way for some fresh herring bait...

But if your in a bind.. Fillet a golden shiner.. They work too..

There were packs of frozen herring at Marine General this afternoon. I think so anyway. The ciscos were listed as being on black trays (which they were) and herring were supposed to be on yellow. There were several yellow trays in the freezer. I should have actually looked!

Yeah, I saw em today, but I also saw that the wind blew most of the ice away from the Lester and north of there. I guess I'll be waiting til I go to the islands for lakers.

Nice fat Brownie Jim. All the Browns I have caught off of Park Point are more of a mud color. This is in the spring however. BC

i know a nice lake where in july you can catch nice herring in...

I've bought fresh herring in Super One and Jubillee supermarkets in Duluth.

I have herd of a few off 21st, this past week I hope we get a north easter to blow the ICE back in so we can get some fish.