• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Want to go fishing for lake trout. What is the best way to get there? Can we drive across crane and sand point or is a snowmobile or 4 wheeler the way to go. Thanks in advance.

The only way to get there is by snowmobile. It is in the Voyageurs National Park so 4 wheelers are not allowed as well as vehicles. There is also a restriction on live bait. You can only use artificial bait. Even frozen minnows or smelt is not allowed.

Just curious. Is it not legal to run a four wheeler in the Voyageurs National Park? I thought there was a "truck trail" that people used their four wheelers on to get to Grassy Bay?

Correct it is not legal to run a 4 wheeler in VNP. I talked to the CO last year about it and he said the only was snowmobile because wheelers were not allowed at all. Maybe somebody else can chime in with more detailed explanation.

Everybody's correct...sort of. A long time ago there used to be the "truck trail", Timber mentions of, that went from the beach on the north end of Crane (houseboat site now) over to Makooda and beyond. I've heard people say it was the road the Natives used in the winter time from the reservation because it was shorter than the regular route. That part I don't know about, but I do remember, as a little kid, people driving across the lake and taking that road over to Makooda. Our cabin is right across the bay from there. Since then however, only snowmobiles are allowed. We had a CO check us about 6 or 7 years ago and we asked about 4-wheelers then and he said "No, not through the Park land." If someone is driving 4-wheelers, then they are not doing it legally...and maybe they just don't know any better.

Sorry, Neiko, don't know that one.

Dock boy, How could he get to Grassy bay if he goes into Canada or do I not understand your directions? Isn't that considered VNP on the MN side so 4 wheelers aren't allowed. I thought I remember a debate on this topic with 4 wheelers on the ice and they weren't allowed. Do you know if you can ride a snowmobile into Little Trout Lake or do you have to walk in?

Hopefully Duckster will chime in, he or she seems to be pretty up to snuff on VNP regs, I'm certain there is no designated snowmobile trail into little Trout, that meaning foot traffic only, and it would mean artifical bait only. guts

I'm pretty sure you can drive a four wheeler on the ice, but you are not supposed to drive on land. The same goes to snowmobiles unless you are on a designated snowmobile trail. You would get a ticket if you were jumping rocks on the shoreline of the NP. I didn't explain Del Rhodes right it is not in Canada, but is private property, so you can drive the wheeler on the private property drop into Sand Point and then onto Grassy. I was there last spring on my 6 wheeler. Not sure about driving a sled into Little Trout I know that I have scene tracks driving in there. I don't know anyone that has caught fish there in the winter. I personally know of a party of about 20 guys that went to Little Trout last year and didn't catch a fish. That's 40 rods!! I'm about 98 percent sure that you can drive wheelers on the ice as long as you don't touch land.

Say we could drive wheelers as long as you don't touch land. Instead of taking the land trail to Grassy couldn't you just got through the Narrows and go that way or is it not safe? Do you know who owns the cabin in the bay between Sandpoint and Makooda?

Neiko, The narrows isn't a place you would want to take a wheeler. Not Safe!! Not sure what cabin you are talking about?

If you go through the Narrows and turn into the bay to dock to get to Makooda there is a cabin to the right as you are facing the shore.

Hey Guts,

Long time no see. I figured that you could handle these on your own but I guess that I can help on this one.

WHEELED OR TRACKED VEHICLES: Technically not allowed in the park but you can use them if you don't drive across park lands. So you can use them on the ice surface of Kabetogama,and West Rainy. Down on the Crane end people have been taking them through King Williams Narrows and then jumping over a piece of private land to avoid the pinch. Once on Sand Point they have been traveling up Sand Point but you cannot cross the portages.I WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW THE AREA.

MUKOODA: Snowmobiles only. With the arrival of Spiny Water fleas and VHS looming in the future the park has restricted all of the interior lakes to artificial bait only. This is being re-examined on a yearly basis.

LITTLE TROUT LAKE; you can take a snowmobile in there but one again it is artifical bait only.

MUKOODA ICE ROAD: The old ice road was redesignated under the General Management Plan in 2001 as the snowmobile trail and the old trail was closed. Vehicles are allowed by permit only, only for non-recreational purposes and after the snowmobile season in March.

Hope this helps,

Duckster

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for fishing info on crane, and ran across this post and saw a mention of the trail I built about 8 yrs ago with my grandpa, Del Rhodes. Was wondering where dockboy was from since he knew Del. That trail is a major time savor for running up the lake. We have cought quite a bit of grief for building it from the DNR. That is not an area to go slow thru. the biggest problem is people not familiar with the area start following others traks headed up the lake and find themselfs over open water in the pinch. many times you can see the ice breaking behind you near the indian face. Anyway, dock boy let me know where your from.