Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishing Freak

cedar island

14 posts in this topic

Im new to the area and was would like to known were to fish on cedar or any other lakes in the area and how thick the ice is.

any info. would be nice.

Ice is plenty thick on virtually all lakes, granted there are spots with current on the chain where you still need to be careful, but you should be fine driving on the roads that are blazed on the lakes.

thanks

I was out there last weekend and the ice was fine. Lot's of vehicle traffic. However, only one bite in over 10 hours on the ice. Spoke to plenty of others and everyone reported poor angling. Saw a couple of big catfish laying on the ice though 8^)

Heard Cedar is hot by the island, catching as fast as a guy can get his lure down, havent been out there but thats what i here.

Originally Posted By: Dellfin
Saw a couple of big catfish laying on the ice though 8^)

Why do people do that? Man, that makes me just shake my head.What are people thinking? What a waste.

This is exactly what those people are thinking..."If it's not a walleye, it doesn't belong in the lake!" It's that old school mentality where walleye is the king and any other fish supposedly holds them back. Of course any angler with common sense and average knowledge knows this to be false.

Way to many idiots out there, especially this winter with all the ice that allows everyone to drive out on the lakes.

Originally Posted By: FlowageTamer
Way to many idiots out there

You got that right.

Yeah, I knew that, but was posting and thinking 'out loud' at the same time.Yup, it does seem like there are a folks out there that have their village calling them back.

what is the easyies way on the lake with a car

It depends on which side of the lake you want to go on.If your looking to go on the west side,gain access off of Hwy. 22.If you're driving south from Richmond/Hwy. 23, start slowing down where you see the no parking signs on the east side of the road, after you cross the bridge that goes over the channel betwen Horseshoe, and Cedar Island.There is a winter access spot to drive on on the east side of the highway.It is on the bay just to the north of Mud Lake.

If your looking to get on on the east side of the lake,use the public access, which is right off of Stearns Cty. Rd. 71. The access is about 2-3 miles south of Hwy. 23, on Cty. 71.

Using a car might be easier on the public access.The winter access off of 22 might require 4 wheel drive.I don't know for sure because I haven't used it this year.

I agree...i have no problem with guys that take em and eat em, but the 2 watters that throw any fish on the ice to rot simply aren't sportsmen....

thx for the info rockman