• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hakstol suspended two games

IFallsRon

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota co-acting athletic directors Betty Ralston and Steve Brekke announced today that UND head men’s hockey coach Dave Hakstol has been suspended for its next two games for his actions during a men’s hockey game Saturday at the University of Minnesota.

Ralston said the disciplinary action was determined by the University of North Dakota and was made independent of any decision or action by the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

“We hold all University of North Dakota coaches and student-athletes to the highest standards of sportsmanship, conduct and ethical behavior,” Ralston said. “We expect our coaches to keep themselves and their teams in control at all times. Profane language and poor behavior on the part of our coaches and student-athletes is unacceptable.”

no surprise there, though I wonder if Maturi will hold ol' Donnie to the same standard (I don't recall seeing a closeup of his profanities on Saturday's games though).

Originally Posted By: DEADhead
no surprise there, though I wonder if Maturi will hold ol' Donnie to the same standard (I don't recall seeing a closeup of his profanities on Saturday's games though).

If the WCHA, ECHL or any league started suspending coaches for verbal cursing from the bench you won't have any coaches left. I think the big difference between Lucia and Hackstol is the gesture by Hakstol left no question in anyones mind, whether you were behind the bench, on the ice, at home on the couch or in the rafters. Having to read lips to know they cursed is a different animal and a very common thing in all sporting events.

UND did do this on their own but only after an ultimatum that the WCHA commish would step in if they did not dole out the appropriate penalty.

Him and Eades probably have that gesture as part of their practices...

Please edit the photo. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
2 games sounds about right for HaksTOOL

I like how rodent fans have nothing to quip about other than this after losing 3 out of 4 pts to the Sioux. I agree that what Hak did was unacceptable and he got a reasonable punishment, but calling the guy classless is going a bit far. He got caught up in the emotions of a game and is paying the price, but let

s not forget this is a coach who has done tons of great things outside of the hockey rink including sending his players to help with cleanup after the tornado in Northwood, ND.

All this talk that he disrespected the game of college hockey and what not is a bunch of overblown nonsense by a bunch of bitter rodent fans, I mean it wasn't like he paid someone to write papers and complete their homework for them. whistle.gif

So you want to let him off the hook because he did some nice things also?

I don't know the guy so I can't tell you if he is classless or not. I can tell you that it was a classless act and no excuses should be made.

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
Was the tornado clean-up part of how he handled the underage drinking?

So, lets see:

Lucia dropping "vocal" numerous f'bombs = acceptable

Hakstol using the gesture = unacceptable

Too bad FSN doesn't release the audio of the Goof's bench.

I don't condone what Hakstol did at all, but the almighty Gopher fans shouldn't be tossing stones. BTW, I wouldn't say the UMtc program has been the "classiest" program over the past decade . . . Barney's, riots . . .

I'm not upset a bit about Hakstol being out for a couple of games. I've always thought that Eades would be a better head coach for the Sioux.

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
Was the tornado clean-up part of how he handled the underage drinking?

I purposely left out any reference to underage drinking because

A.) I remember being in college and what I did underage and I think there are others here in the same boat.

B.) We all know that the rodents had their own little incident at Blarneys not to long ago. If we want to talk about putting a black eye on your university I think having the local news channel broadcast your underage hockey players drinking at a bar does a pretty good job.

Since you brought it up though, let's put all the facts out there and leave it as college kids doing as college kids do.

Originally Posted By: fishyguy

If the WCHA, ECHL or any league started suspending coaches for verbal cursing from the bench you won't have any coaches left. I think the big difference between Lucia and Hackstol is the gesture by Hakstol left no question in anyones mind, whether you were behind the bench, on the ice, at home on the couch or in the rafters. Having to read lips to know they cursed is a different animal and a very common thing in all sporting events.

I have to agree. If they started suspending everyone for the verbal stuff there wouldn't be too many players/coaches left to play the games. Hakstol's "gesture" left no doubt.

shorelunch, just wait until your squad from da' nort up dere, joins a respectful league. then you'll be part of the verbal bashing as well, out of fun of course.

[quote name='Shorelunch

Lucia dropping "vocal" numerous f'bombs = acceptable

Hakstol using the gesture = unacceptable

Too bad FSN doesn't release the audio of the Goof's bench.

I don't condone what Hakstol did at all' date=' but the almighty Gopher fans shouldn't be tossing stones. BTW, I wouldn't say the UMtc program has been the "classiest" program over the past decade . . . Barney's, riots . . . [/quote']

If Lucia was the only coach to have his lips read on TV you might have a point. If he held a sign up above his head that said, "You (F Bomb) suck", you might have a point. Like I said before, you did not need to hear, or be close to understand what Hakstol was saying. You could have seen it from the rafters.

You can discuss the underage drinking and the vandalism after the National Championship if you would like but I thought this was about Hakstol's suspension. If you really believe, the Sioux is the program to follow or be like, you would talk about how you are above this kind of stuff and not excuse it, not how everyone else has their issues also.

Notice the Siouxige fans say nothing of the DIRTY cross check on Anderson.

Hackstall, what a disgrace to a great hockey program.

They should bring back Blais. Now thats class

Originally Posted By: fishyguy
So you want to let him off the hook because he did some nice things also?

I don't know the guy so I can't tell you if he is classless or not. I can tell you that it was a classless act and no excuses should be made.

Did I say I wanted to let him off the hook? No, I said he was wrong and got punish justly. Hakstol made a mistake, he apologized, he is taking his punishment and will move on and learn from it hopefully. But let's not characterize a guys entire career on one gesture. It's amazing how one bad thing a person does gets vilified more than all of the good they do.

Originally Posted By: backstrap
I'm not upset a bit about Hakstol being out for a couple of games. I've always thought that Eades would be a better head coach for the Sioux.

Just for the Record Hakstol was a bit of chop himself on the ice.

I agree on Eades and maybe he'll get the job especially if the Sue don't crank it up and win the title SOON.

How many more years can you give him to win a title in the hollowed pastures of Dakota land?....LOL.

I'm sure Woog would have received 2 games instead of 1 game if there was a picture of Woog plastered all over the INTERNET like the one currently circulating with your boy Hakstol... grin.gif

PM for a copy of that one.... ;\)

Just for the record....Nobody here has called Hakstol our "Boy" nor do we support what he did. You and the other bitter whiners should all get together and have one big Gopher group hug and get over last weekend and this season for that matter.

I was over the Gophers season before it started a rocket science course wasn't needed to determine the Gophers were going nowhere this year.

I predicted in these forums that the Gophers would not Finnish in the top 4 of the conference and an NCCA bid for the Gophers was a pipe dream......So I don't need a hug!

Actually it seems a few of the ND posters are the ones whining and taking this a little to seriusly.....get over it the Gophers have more recent NCAA's titles "2" and Conference championships then the Sue.

Deal with it!.... grin.gif

But, lets not forget the Sioux have 2 titles since 1997, and last time I checked 7 is a bigger number than 5. So however you wish to spin the numbers to make the gophers look good is your issue we still have more total than you do. But let's not dwell on the past lets dwell on the present \:\) How about them Gophers?

Ho boy. Now we're on to "recent" titles. Face it, that big M stands for mediocrity. Now I've got to admit, I was a bit busy with the fishing and didn't really scrutinize the play on Sat. Going by what I hear from Jeff Dubay's "unbiased" analysis, the Sioux threw in some pretty bad cheap shots at the end. If so, hopefully they get the proper punishment. I will say that historically the Sioux haven't had a cheap and run policy like some of their big rivals but more an in your face bashing. None of us know what was being said on the ice and most of us were not seeing the action behind the play. Knew quite a few of the players during my stint at UND and was pretty interesting to hear stories of what was actually transpiring on the ice. Many times it had nothing to do with the game. Often something from a summer league or even something in their hometowns. I personnally liked seeing the intensity that the rivalry seemed to gain over the weekend. Been pretty tame the past few years.

The Sioux fans, some of which are from and live in the great state of Minnesota, don't whine one bit. We simply state facts and support our team when too many whining gopher lovers bash them. Bryce, I will assume that your sweet Fighting Sioux flag is still flying! Go Sioux!

Putting all of the banter aside as to who is better, tougher and so on I have a note on Dave Hakstol and UND AD Ralston. Take it as you may but this is what transpired and as a side note I am a die hard Gopher Hockey fan.

I emailed both the AD and Hakstol on the night of the gesture as I have a 4 year old that is VERY into hockey and was watching. He can tell you the events of the game for several days after they occur so my main concern was does he now think that is what you do if you don't like the refs call? I expressed to both of them that I was very disappointed that my son had to see this and again noted that kids are watching and learning how to play the game and also how to handle yourself. Both Coach Hakstol and AD Ralston took the time and responded to my email with an apology in return. I appreciate that, even as a Gopher fan, as we all make mistakes and it appears he has taken responsibility for his.

The thing is he got caught. Your son was offended by this. Hope the sound wasn't on. Come on it is big boys playing hockey. Yes there is bad language, gestures. I seen the replay on TV it must have been a whole second worth. I have a daughter play high school hockey and it is hard to believe some of the words that are tossed in the action of a game. This whole thing has been blown out bad. Hakstol got caught. Big deal!!!!!

Just thought I'd post this for you short memory sue fans and the "come on it's only once" excuses:

from http://www.in-forum.com

UND coach deserves suspension

Mike McFeely

The Forum - 02/05/2008

The University of North Dakota has exerted copious amounts of energy issuing written apologies for its hockey team in the past year. So much so that “Fight On Sioux,” the school’s fight song, was in danger of being replaced by the twangy Brenda Lee classic, “I’m Sorry.”

Robbie Bina, T.J. Oshie and Jonathan Toews apologized via press release for their roles in last February’s Judy’s Tavern affair. Joe Finley – all 6-foot-7 and 245 pounds of him – had to write an apology after hacking Wisconsin mascot Bucky Badger across the shins with a stick last November. And just this weekend, Sioux coach Dave Hakstol circulated a written apology after being caught on television flipping the middle digit of his right hand at official Don Adams during UND’s heated contest at Minnesota on Saturday.

Contrary to popular legend, the toughest job at UND is not athletic director. It is media relations director. Typing all that contrition can leave a guy with a nasty case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Hakstol’s YouTube moment elicited the expected frightening responses from cyberspace. A popular Sioux fan Web site and a chat room set up on The Forum’s site had numerous responses trumpeting two testosterone-fueled defenses: 1) Adams deserved to be the recipient of the obscene gesture and 2) this was a hockey game, not some supposedly less macho activity like figure skating or golf, so a one-fingered salute was a proper way for Hakstol to vent his frustration.

UND’s administration clearly did not prescribe to this juvenile way of thinking. Hakstol was suspended for two games Monday by co-acting athletic directors Betty Ralston and Steve Brekke. Hakstol will miss UND’s series against Denver Feb. 15-16 in Grand Forks.

Funny, isn’t it? The school is tougher on the coach than the coach has been on his players.

Here are some words not used much recently as they pertain to Sioux athletic administration: UND got this one right. Hakstol deserved to go to the penalty box for two games.

While Sioux extremists are cheering Hakstol’s obscenity and laying the blame for his suspension everywhere but where it belongs – on him – the coach’s vertical middle finger was an immature and embarrassing gesture for an experienced coach who should know better. Hakstol’s own apology admitted as much. So why the wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Hakstol is a high-profile, well-compensated employee of UND. As such, it’s his responsibility to act in a manner that represents the university in an adult, professional manner. Flipping the bird at a referee does not qualify. End of discussion. It can’t get any simpler. And while an apology was necessary, it doesn’t excuse the action. There has to be some penalty, some deterrent, for such behavior.

Those crying foul over Hakstol’s suspension are missing the point. The discussion should not be over whether Hakstol deserves a suspension. That’s a no-brainer. The question should be why Sioux hockey players and coaches are continually doing things for which they need to issue written apologies.

Forum sports columnist Mike McFeely can be heard on the Saturday Morning Sports Show, 10 a.m. to noon on WDAY-AM (970). He can be reached at (701) 241-5580 or [email protected]. McFeely’s blog can be found at http://www.areavoices.com

Fasternu, every poster on this board and 99% of Siox fans recognizes Hasktol's mistake in judgement and moved on. Fargo and GF are pretty much "rival" towns. As for the column, the Fargo Forum puts about as much praise on the Sioux program as the Mpls Star Tribune - or as much about the GF Herald sheds on the UMtc program. However, when something negative happens, the Forum is always first to judge.

A vast majority of things the article is referring to have been minor offensives, such as a party complaint. Last I checked, these are college kids . . . I'm not gonna start listing all of the things other hockey programs have done, because it's all apples-to-apples.

Faster than who,

Always stirring things up. I think someone needs their diaper changed...

What, a writer from Fargo speaking ill about Grand Forks? \:o Say it isn't so, I am shocked!!!!! \:\/

I think Fargo still has Nickel Trophy envy, don't worry with UND going DI now we can soon re-establish and extend our dominance in the Nickel Trophy rivalry. And yes it is relevant to bring up football in a hockey thread since NDSUCKS doesn't have a hockey team.