Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBass

Tonka Rpt 2/3/08

8 posts in this topic

Went to the west side for some crappie and walleye action, but more so crappies.

Setup @ 18' on the weedline or just off and marked fish right away. Right away 2 crappies came up the hole and I thought I was in for a treat. But they didn't want the jigging spoon anymore. I switched to a lil Hali and waxie and bam - bam - bam went the afternoon. 20 sunnies and 20 crappies later = no more waxies. Once dusk hit a 2lb pike, perch and 16" walter made their way to the buckshot and crappie minnow head. A few more crappies and it was time to watch the last half of the superbowl.

Not a bad outing as far as #'s. All fish released. It pays to switch up until you find what they want. Which changes all the time and I don't do too often - D'oh

Nice report, thanks for sharing. How far west were you??

Went out from the Sheriff patrol - Spring Park Bay I think it what its called.

Good report! Thanks

The Crappie ice fishing has been very good on Tonka this year. Mostly small ice jigs w/waxies, Berkley Crappie Nibbles, and small crappie minnows produced.

Last night they wanted bigger plastics or minnows. Ignored waxies. This tells me the late winter/early spring feeding binge is just about to get into gear. Going to need to move shallower like Ebass noted and concentrate on breaks around spring spawning areas. I didn't get anything over 10" last night but a lot of chunky 9" showed up - I might have been too deep as I was fishing in mid 20s depth in a basin area. A lot of fish though. Couldn't even use a deadstick as I seldom got the jig down before getting hit. The crappies were zooming up to meet it on the drop.

I need to learn Tonka better so I can get into some of those slabs. I'm tired of the Lotus lake 8" crappies...I'd sure like to find something bigger!

Going out tonight to the same spot. No waxies this time - only minnows. Will rpt tomorrow