Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Boser

winnie fishing report

3 posts in this topic

The weather plays such a key role whether or not we can get out on the water, or the ice, and this last week was a typical element of the last statement. Ten days ago the weather was almost balmy on Big Winnie and there were all kinds of anglers trying their luck. The perch were cooperating, Big Cutfoot had several crappie fisherman, and late in the day walleye anglers were hurrying to their favorite hump or bar. Then things changed last Monday night and man did they change . Thirty to forty mph winds and a severe drop in temperatures, made for a tough bite again for a couple days. The areas about a mile off Stony point, along the edges of Third River Bar were producing perch in 22-28 feet of water, but you had to keep moving to stay with the perch. Some of the deeper humps 1-2 miles N/E of Ravens were also doing pretty good, but mobility again was the key.Tamarack Bay is still giving lots of perch, but sorting to get a limit is the norm. The action is definitely worth the effort. On the South side of Big Winnie give Moses, Horseshoe, and the outside edge of Sugar Bar a try for jumbo perch. The Forage Minnow Spoon is still the bait of choice with either chub head, or a couple of waxies, or 3-4 euro larvae. I'm kind of partial to the red ones!!! When the action picks up some of the good anglers are trying pieces of the Gulp Alive(minnow) on the treble and having pretty good success. The weather will only continue to get better as the weeks wear on. If you will be in Duluth from the 13th to the 17th, stop and see me at the Duluth Sport and Travel Show. Don't forget to book your guide trip for the 2008 season at http://www.mnfishingpros.com.

Tom Neustrom

Hey Jason, Thanks for the tips! I am going up to winnie the weekend of the 15th to stay in the BIG sleeper at Rick and Kim's. I look forward to some decent fishing, Myself , my 3 younger brothers and my boy! Will conside your tips when trying to put supper in the skillet!! Thanks Ron

fished out of highbanks yesterday. went out to the humps and managed 30 keeper perch, 6 walleyes and a northern for 3 guys. lots of lookers on the vex, so we dropped the camera and all the little perch would just come up to the fathead and sniff it. the bigger perch would come up and nail it on the way down. caught most of the fish in 20-22 ft. tried deeper with not much luck. picked a few in 28-34 ft range. we also didn't have much luck with just the heads. they wanted the whole fathead and they wanted it jigged. nothing on deadsticks. all in all it was a decent day on the lake. done better and done worse.