Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jkcch5

Strikemaster

19 posts in this topic

I'am going to buy a new auger this coming week and was wondering which strikemaster to buy? is the 8inch hole good or should i buy a 10inch thanks in advance

8 inch hole has never failed me, but if your after 20 lb northerns I would go for the 10 incher.

I would go with the 8". There's not much that you can't fit through on the way up, and your foot shouldn't fit through on the way down grin.gif.

8" all the way. You can pull in the biggest of walleyes through an 8" hole. IMO the 10" is only good for breaking your ankle.

There are several models to chose from i think there is a 224 lazermag and isn"t there a few others also thanks for the above posts

Have had an 8'' strikemaster for a few years and have had to update a couple times cause i waer them out.I have fished thru a 10'' afew times with friends and i would have to say its a personal choice. I have stepped into 10'' holes and it hurts. As far as landing fishits up to the fisherman-i have managed a 11 1/2 lb eye thru an 8'' and watched a18 lb laker come out also but i can't say it wouldn't have been easier with more room. The big thing for me is i don.t like bruised or broken legs and my locator can fall thru a 10''.

10 inch strikemaster for sure.

Over all there only a 8" to get. If you plan on getting a 10" make sure you put it on a 3hp.

Split the difference and go with a 9"

I own the strikemaster 8" electric and the 9" gas and love them both. If your not the type of fisherman that drills 100 holes a day the electric is the way to go for sure. I have a friend who owns a bait shop and he let me test one. 26 holes through 24" of ice on one charge,amazing. Best part is that no more gas on your hands and no more of it ever being cold blooded.

I have had both 8" and 10" both have pluses and minuses. If you get a 10" get a life jacket for the young ones. I like the 10" for thicker ice and a little more hole to get the fish turned into. Also you have more room for the transducer. Like mentioned above, get the 3hp if you get the 10.

1 thing you should consider. The weight of 2 vs 3. 8" on a 2 hp is a lot nicer than 3hp with a 10". I know I switched from a jiffy 10 to strike master 8. When drilling a lot of holes well its some thing to think about.

depends on what your fishing in I think. If in a portable I would definately go with a 8". In a permanant the 10 would be nice. As stated above you can fit anything through a 8. I have the Lazer mag 8" and absoulutly love it. Never thought I needed anything more.

I have an 8" and a 10" both. If you like to drill alot of holes to find bottom structure or suspended fish the 10" auger is not the one you want. Its heavy and not fun to drill more than 6 holes with at one time. I only use a 10" auger for lake trout fishing after I have located the exact point I want to fish. I like the bigger hole for pulling larger fish through. If it were my choice, I would get the 8"...it's much more versatile.

Thanks guys for all the replies think i will get an 8inch are those ones with 4 blades on them any good i think that is the 224 model?

The 224 model is a great auger! Just remember when it comes time for new blades u will have to buy 4 of them. Just more $ is all.

As long as you are South of Ely, MN. you can get away with the Strikemaster... I wouldn't recomend it but Here is a Laser Mag Ultra, 10" that got tied up in the crystal North of Town...

Logic has it that if 1 auger do not do... Try 2! Later, -CLoma

BBash08002.jpg

Sorry SK, had to do it once more...

i have a strikemaster lazer mag 8 inch. 10 inch not worth it. go with an 8 inch. i have pulled 20 pound pike out of 8 inch holes.

Thanks for all the info guys