• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SANTANA'S GONE...NOW WHAT?

HUNT&FISH

Santana is now most likely a met. Ok lets look at the situation, when is the last time a pitcher with a HUGE deal like Johan's panned out for a team? He is signed until around 2014, he will be about 35 years old. First of all, he wanted to leave MN (we offerd him the same amount of $/year but only 3-4 years before he left). Now he has a HUGE contract to live up too for the next 6 years, although he will have an easier time pitching, he will also have to swing the stick. Santana has proven he can hit( for a pitcher) but now you have to put that much more risk on him stepping to the plate 2-3 times every outing. As much as I hate to see him go, it might be better for a new beginning ( and hopefully a new owner) for the twins in 2008!! It's over now(though the twins could have gotten a better deal) we have to move on, and not be fair weather fans, and rout on the TWINKIES for the years too come!!!!

Well, we get to watch what should be an exciting offense. An outfield featuring Delmon Young, the speed of Gomez, and Cuddyer...Mauer and Morneau...now, if the Twins would just add a good-hitting third baseman (I wouldn't even mind adding someone like Brandon Inge from the Tigers), they would have a solid all-around offense.

The bullpen is still strong, but the starting pitching is suspect. We need Liriano back healthy, and Baker and Bonser have to take the next step in their development and become more consistent. Those three might be another year away...2008 might be a long season...but if they and the other young starters can continue their development, 2009 and 2010 - moving into the new stadium - can be good years.

thats alot of money that there going to pay someone to play ball. He is in my mind the best pitcher in the game. Now im curious to see if the twins are going to be able to put something together where they can put a team together and play some ball.

I hope they can get it put together, they just have to figure out a pitching staff, and a lineup.

I hate the fact that it seems Minnesota is waiting until the new ballpark opens to really put together a solid team. Why not win now? The fans want to see us in the playoffs! We can still have a good team come 2010!

we do have the talent to win now. our picthing may still be the best in the majors. if liriano is heathy, he is our santana and maybe better. baker is a up coming superstar. not many teams have two great starting picthers and the twins might have 2. the twins still have the best bullpen. our offense is why we have not done good, but I think the twins are getting that up to speed.

it will be a good year to watch and listen to the twins. if only I could here the games at work. 1500 kstp sucks!

I doubt Liriano will match anything close to Santana this year. I just don't see it panning out for him.. His delivery just looks nasty watching it.

Baker is probably a #3 pitcher at best... And the Twins are going to rely on him as an ace. I'm sorry, but our starting pitching looks awful. If the Twins can aquire some FA help before the season begins though, I think we'll be alright.

Our offense looks good. Our defense looks good. Our bullpen is the best as always (unless Nathan leaves)... It's just our rotation that needs help.

Lots more time to fish now that I wont be drawn to watch Pohlads AAA franchise. Nice pitching staff. A guy with a bad wing, a guy who is a suspect 3rd starter, and a guy named Boof. GOOD LORD!!! Last place in the central here we come.

The Twins will have a hard time contending with the likes of Detroit and Cleveland this year. Both teams have what it needs to win it all. However, Detroit is old and Cleveland will not be able to hang on to C.C. Sabathia(free agent after this year). Those two teams want to win now. The Twins will have a decent team the next two years but in 2010 they will have the new stadium and some money to get some decent ballplayers, plus the young guys they are going to develop(Young, 4 guys from the Mets,and Casilla). I like what the Twins are doing.

I never thought that Radke was a No. 1 pitcher but he he went out every five days and gave the Twins a chance to win. I don't think the Twins are that bad off. The starters certainly should do a lot better than last year.

I am kind of torn about this years squad. I will miss Hunter and Santana, but just when you start to count them out, there they are playing great ball. I am not expecting much this season, but hoping for a good team. You just never know what will happen.

Hey --

Don't count out Mike Lamb, you might a little surprised. -- Monroe is better than people are giving him credit for as well.

I don't think they will be bad, but doubt they will have enough to make the postseason or challenge for the division title.

Their offense should be as good, maybe a little better than last year.

The rotation though, has lots of ? marks. Usually, a team that is expecting to compete for the postseason has a few established veteran pitchers on their staff. The Twins have NONE as of right now. There isn't one guy in our rotation that has pitched more than 175 innings during an MLB season and most have not broken 100. Our bullpen will most likely be worked very hard with all of the young, inexperienced guys expected to fill out our rotation. I would guess Liriano will not pitch more than 100 innings this year.

1. Baker

2. Perkins

3. Boof

4. Slowey

5. Blackburn

Waiting in the wings: Liriano, Humber, Duensing

Those guys have alot of potential, but for us to expect much more than a "learning" season from that rotation is unrealistic IMO.

In a couple years, we could have very good rotation. I think Liriano becomes a #1, Baker a solid #2, and these other guys will battle for spots to be the next Silva or Radke type. Inning eaters that keep you in games.

Add that to a lineup that should be coming into their prime + a few added pieces and in 2009 or 2010 and I think we will be ready to take the Central back.

Originally Posted By: Ice Ranger

Our offense looks good. Our defense looks good. Our bullpen is the best as always (unless Nathan leaves)... It's just our rotation that needs help.

I'd say our defense is poor to average.

Our offense was terrible and with the addition of young and the subtraction of Hunter we'll be about the same... POOR.

Bullpen should be OK although I think the league is onto Neshak's odd ball delivery.

Starting rotations is a big mystery, I personally don't expect Liriano to be anything remotely close to what he was for the SHORT time he pitched for us.

That being said it is baseball and in-spite of the big spending teams we have a shot to go all the way.

Go Twins!

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

Our offense was terrible and with the addition of young and the subtraction of Hunter we'll be about the same... POOR.

Bullpen should be OK although I think the league is onto Neshak's odd ball delivery.

Starting rotations is a big mystery, I personally don't expect Liriano to be anything remotely close to what he was for the SHORT time he pitched for us.

That being said it is baseball and in-spite of the big spending teams we have a shot to go all the way.

Go Twins!

You're not too optimistic, are you? grin.gif

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

Go Twins!

Actually -- I think our defense will be pretty good. Lamb is ok -- average, everett is a great fielder but can't hit and left field will be much better with Young. Center will take a step back no matter who is in there.

I'd say it is close to a wash.

• 4 weeks later...

Johan Santana was tagged for three runs in two innings by the Cardinals on Friday.

All of the damage came when Juan Gonzalez got a fastball neither low nor inside enough and put it over the wall in the first. Santana came back with a quick second inning and then went down to the bullpen to get in his full 45 pitches. He wasn't quite throwing at full velocity today, but he seems to be on pace.

If Johan doesnt shape up early, them NY fans wont be to nice to him! Then he will be wishing he would have taken the deal the Twins offered him.

He couldn't of said it better, going to be a long year for Twins fans and I am prepared for it.

He may be one of the bright spots of this rotation. Livan and Slowey is a wait and see, Bonser after droping a few pounds should improve.

Wild,

I hear that every pound that Baker dropped was picked up by Liriano! True or not?

Windy

Liriano is all muscle though...straight from the mouth of the GARDY!!!

I heard it was 30 lbs. All muscle? Has he been sharing "supplement drinks" with Rincon?

Windy

I heard that also. A guy I work with is a nut when it comes to the twins and he heard the same thing on one of the am talk shows saying Lariano came in out of shape. Guess you will have to wait until they show him on TV.

I heard he was not out-of-shape but in "Roid shape"

Is that what you guys heard?

Time will tell...its worked for batters! Let it work for our pitcher!1!