• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

how much backing for carp/steelhead?

DEADhead

I'm curious as to how much backing you guys use for carp or steelhead?

My 8/9 wt reels have at least 200 yards of 20# backing on them. One reel is a mid-arbor, the other two are large arbor reels. My 5/6 wt reels have at least 150 yards of 20# backing on them, but they are standard arbor reels.

The reason I ask is because I am looking at picking up a new 6 weight large arbor reel (Lamson Velocity). The 5/6 wt reel (model 2) says it holds 100 yds of 20# backing. The model 3 reel (for 7/8 wts) says it hold 150 yds of 20# backing. Do you guys think 100 yards of backing is not enough? Weight-wise, I'd like to go with the smaller lighter reel (model 2), even though I would feel more comfortable with more backing on the larger reel. Is more than 100 yds of backing even necessary?

i run 100 yards on my reels 5/6wt and down, on my anything larger than 6wt i run 150yards. ive never got deep into the backing on any of my rods so i cant tell you if it makes a difference with having more, but it does make you feel better knowing you have the added security there.

On one hand I'd say more is better, but on the other hand, what are the chances you're really going to land a fish that has 200 yards of backing out on you? Especially for steelhead, that could be around the next 2 bends on the river.

You can use the gel spun backing, which is thinner but more expensive, and probably get 150 yards of backing on the reel. If you do a Google search on "gel spun backing" you will see a link to a MidCurrents article on the pro's and con's of gel spun backing.

I've never gotten extremely far into my backing with a carp before, even though I know that it can happen, but I' haven't tried to catch one on a 6 wt rod yet. Usually I'm fishing an 8 or 9 wt rod. I'm just concerned that I won't be able to horse the fish as much with that 6 wt, and thus may have the need for more backing. I wonder if the reality of me being able to bring a carp back to hand with 400 feet of line out is really a fool's quest.

I don't have much experience with carp, but of all the steelies I've caught, only one has taken me into my backing. Now if you decide to head west, that's a whole different story, but you should be able to get by around here with 100 yards. I run 150 yards on my Bauer M4sl, but have never even come close to emptying it.

thanks Kent, I was waiting for you and Porter to chime in. Looks like 100 yds should be be enough so I'll go with a size 2.

And if I head out west, that 8 wt is going to be used ;\)

I agree with QS, very rarely will a north/south shore steelie get you into your backing. In most rivers there just isn't that much water for them to run.

For carp, you should also be ok with 100 yards. Even for those west central bruisers!

Originally Posted By: so haaad

For carp, you should also be ok with 100 yards. Even for those west central bruisers!

tell me about it. I ordered the size 2 Lamson Velocity Hard Alox last night. Of course you probably won't have a clue what rod it's going on.... I've been a badboy ;\)whistle.gif ; maybe I should start another post on this...

In the book "Carp on the fly" They say at least 100yds of backing. If you think your reel will not hold that much backing, which has a large Dia. You can always use a line with a much smaller Dia. Say 20lb Fireline or Power pro. Dubble tapers do not allow much room for backing!

Just remember that backings main job is to take up as much space with as little line as possable. If you need more backing but you don't have the room, Use something with a smaller Dia.

The Pic. of me (to the left) is with a 40+lb carp. That day we cought 4 others that were 20+ lbs. You will need backing to land fish of this size. If your using a 5wt. and get one of this size on you will need 100yds or more.

yeah thanks. I'll mainly be targetting smaller fish with the 6wt. Otherwise, I'll have my 8 or 9 wt with over 200 yards of backing for the big bruisers.

I'm sorry. I thought the Q, was if 100yds of backing on a Lamson Velocity on a 6wt rod would be sufficient for Carp or Steelhead.

With the Lamson Velocity reel and the Q. of, Is 100yds enough. I just though maybe you were thinking that you think you might need more backing on your 6wt.

My dedicated Carp rod is a 6wt TFO Series 1 with an Echo reel. There is no snob appeal in this combo but hey! I'm carp fishing!

Hey no worries, I was just taking an informal survey of what others thought on the subject. Thanks for your imput. I believe you answered the question correctly. I was thinking 100 yds was a little short, for any reel for carp, even for a 6 wt. I was seeing if anyone was spooled with 100yds of backing or less. Doesn't sounds like too many have. I should be ok with 100, if not, I can get another spool for my model 3.5 and put it on the 6wt, as the reel seat is the same size on both the 6 wt and the 8 wt ARCs.