• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What a week on Rainy!

Went up to Thunderbird Lodge earlier this week 1/27-1/30 and managed to do quite well on the walleyes. We had a pretty severe cold front to contend with (50 deg. drop in 24 hours), but the fishing remained consistent throughout. Single hook flutter jigs in anything glow with a whole minnow seemed to be the ticket. Fished the deep edges of the structure 35-45' and moved around as often as we could. A big thanks to Scott Mathews who guided us to the fish the first day. Being a "first timer" to Rainy lake, Scott's knowledge was invaluable to the success of our trip. I'm told this lake gets relatively light winter fishing pressure, and I can't for the life of me figure out why? What an awesome icefishing experience!

I will be up there, same lodge, in two weeks. Last year we were up there about the same time and it was -20. The four wheelers still started and the fish were still biting. I'm hoping to be able to find fish again. Last year we got lucky and found a spot that produced morning and evening but nothing during the day. We managed about 20-25 per day each, with lots of smaller fish, but plenty of eaters and four big fish for a four day weekend. This year I would like to try for some bigger fish. Time will tell.