Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFallsRon

airjer, what's the going rate to replace an intake gasket?

20 posts in this topic

98 Suburban, 5.7

I assume your talking lower intake manifold gasket...coolant leak?

About 5 Hours labor with AC.... so $350 to $500 in labor depending on where you have it done.

Parts needed are a Gasket set $40 to $80, water Pipe $10-$20, and Coolant $15-$30 and depending on where and how bad it was leaking a couple 2-3 oil changes may be needed.

Of course prices will very shop to shop.

I had that replaced on an '01 Montana last summer and it ran me around $1200.

Originally Posted By: Sergeant Slabber
I had that replaced on an '01 Montana last summer and it ran me around $1200.

Thats a whole different ball game than a 5.7 Vortec. Yours probably books for at least 2 times more labor hours on a van. I do a 5.7 about once a month at work and it takes me about 2 1/2 hours and that includes setting the timing and changing the oil. Our vehicles don't have air, but that only adds about 5 minutes to the job.

I got it done a little over a year ago on our '99 Suburban's 5.7 for around $600.

In the St. Cloud area I would give Huntington Automotive Center a call. 253-9050. I've had a lot of work done there over the last 6 months on a couple of different vehicles, and I was very pleased. They'll give you a fair deal.

What they said!

Don't be surprised if the water pump fails soon after. It has gotten to the point that we just include them in the estimate and give the customer the option.

I would much rather do a 5.7 than a 3.1! grin.gif Not that there that hard to do.

Yep, the water pump on mine actually went out first. Luckily I was able to do that myself and save a little cash, but I was too lazy to tackle the intake gasket.

You might just want to convert it over to the green coolant since you are replacing everything. My 98 Suburban had water pump fail, radiator partially clogged and gaskets eaten up. I suspect it was the Dex-cool. Almost 90,000 miles later on the regular green coolant and everything works great. DEX-COOL=Job security for mechanics, thats what my friend who owns an auto shop said. \:\)

Had one replaced last week on my 98 Chevy truck. Was about $400 at Upsala Motors.

The place on the east side where I normally get my work done said around $850. My neighbor ran a shop and still does work at home to stay busy. He's gonna fix it for around $250.

This sub came with green. I'll mention the water pump. Probably a good idea as long as it's apart. Going to get new plugs and a serpentine, too.

My research tells me that intake manifold gasket failure is pretty common on these motors.

Yep, very common. The shop I took mine to said they do 3 or 4 a week.

We do see quite a few of them. The 4.3 (blazer), 3.1, and 3.4 liters have the same problem. Fel-Pro has come out with a metal/rubber gasket for the 3.1/3.4. Can't remember if they have one for the 5.7? We have started to use them at the shop to see if the will perform a little better than the plastic/rubber O.E. style gasket.

The 5.7 gaskets have been updated by GM. They now have steel inserts at the torqing points to avoid crushing the gaskets, and protect the gasket from damage from movement of parts during heat cycles.

I think the dealer gaskets for the 3.1/3.4 have that same metal inserts. I'm sure I have seen that before.

Many times, waiting at a light, I'll catch a quick sniff of hot antifreeze, then I'll notice I'm pulled up close behind a GM product.

No Jolly, Thats the tow truck pulling your Ford!!!

OUCH!!! \:D

Coincidentally while I was driving today I was sitting next to a guy in a F150. Even with my window closed I could hear something was amiss. I opened my window just as the light changed only to hear the familiar POP as a spark plug blew out as he accellerated. He pulled into the parking lot at Home Depot where I was going. After I parked, I walked over to his truck and looked with him. Sure enough he had a plug blow out. I showed him the problem and suggested he not drive it. I went into the store and when I came out there was a crew cab Chevy hooking it up. I had to chuckle when I read this thread just now. Seems they all have their issues, but I could do a half dozen intakes for what that deal will cost him if they replace the head. eek.gif

Not me in a Ford! Although I have owned a few. Just have a gas sipping Camry now.