• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Rifle

lient

I am thinking about getting a new deer rifle, and am having trouble deciding on a caliber. I am deciding between 30-06, .270, and .308. As of now I don't plan on hunting out west, but I never know what could happen in the future. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Those are all great guns, and would all do a great job out west. Take into account the kind of terrain you hunt most of the time. If you hunt timber, try to go with a more rounded bullet like the 30-06. If you hunt wide open, think about the flat shooting 270. the 308 if i am correct should be in between those two in all the mechanics.

In my opinion, go with the 30-06. Its all around a great gun. Now just figure out a brand and action.

Good luck.

Those calibers are all very similiar, you could draw one out of a hat and be fine with it. Personally, I'd go with the .30-06 for versatility and ammo availability. Of the 4 rifles I have my .30-06 is the one that gets the most use by far.

What PJ said about the 3 choices being good ones, regardless of which one you choose. Next time you're out at the sporting goods store check the ammo section and see what is the cheapest and/or most available. That might help you with your decision.

I currently have a 30-06 and like the gun and performance, but am looking for a .270 to add for my new deer gun. The area I have been hunting is more flat and open and the .270 performs better in that situation, but when I sit in thicker woods I will probably use the 30-06 for going through brush...the other option I am looking at is a 7MM, but that might be overkill...good luck, it's always fun shopping

.270 would be my choice. .308 second and then 30.06. All good guns, but if there's a chance for those 250-400 yard shots you'll want the .270.

Just my opinion

.270 great caliber. Still very lethal even out west. With the availability of new ammo you can easily take down a 100# doe or a bull elk out west. I've used all three and they all get the job done fine but my .270 just seems to be more fun to shoot.

i would say get a 30.06. i've hunted woods and fields and have no problem with any of the shots i've taken. but thats just my opinion.

I have all 3 and my choice in the woods north of Park Rapids is the 270. And for what it's worth, nothing shoots "thru" brush without deflecting. IMO you need to pick your shots and shoot around it.

Originally Posted By: BigWadeS
but when I sit in thicker woods I will probably use the 30-06 for going through brush...

I know Bandit just commented on this too, but this is probably my #1 pet peeve of a posted issue that I see far too much. NO BULLET CAN SHOOT THROUGH BRUSH!!! It is an unethical shot in every circumstance to try to shoot through brush.

As to the original question you've gotten good answers, the .270 might be a little flatter shooting, but it doesn't have the punch of a .30 cal and loses for the versatility because of that. Pure MN gun hunting they are all well more than adequate though...

I think the .270 is probably the most versatile of the three. Checking ballistic charts with energy and drop the .270 seems a touch better.

While all of these are great choices IMO the .06. All of these cal. are used in my hunting party and none hit harder than an .06. For big game you can't beat the 30 cal.. When you hit them they're down. I use a 7mm mag myself. DEAD!

Oh, and none will shoot straight through brush.

I'll third the "shoot thru brush" statement. When it comes to hunter cartridges, that is pure fallacy. Whether you use a 22-250 or .475 it will deflect if it contacts brush.

Bob

I shoot a 25-06 and love it. Faster, flatter, and a bit less recoil. You can easily use it for predators and can load it with bullets ranging from 75-120 grains.

I would suggest going to one of the ammo manufacturers web sites and check out balistics. I'd put a link on here but I don't know if they are sponsers. 270 with a 130 grain bullet is mighty fine for whitetail and muleys. And you can find shells about anywhere. 30-06 in a 150 gain is great also but I prefer the 270.

I know when I bought my .30-06 it was a toss-up between the .270 and the .30.06. I know a lot of people like the .270 better because of a little less recoil to deal with. Either caliber is pretty much an equal proposition.

Bob

I think the "which caliber" question is best answered by sitting down and looking at a ballistics table. Many of the assumptions that you hear people talking about are better geared toward which bullet to use than which caliber to use. All the ammo manufacturers have good websites, check them out. OK, done with the factual advice.....now for my .02. I like the 7mm Rem Mag as you get the best of all worlds...shoots flat, hits hard, plenty of ammo choices available. A close second would be the 30/06. The .308 is a little lacking in my feeble mind.

Here are some #'s for real easy to find loads.. 7mm is great also. A bit better than the 30.06. I still prefer the 270 tho for whitey.

Velocity (ft/sec)

Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500

Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 3060 2776 2510 2259 2022 1801

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 2910 2617 2342 2083 1843 1622

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 3110 2830 2568 2320 2085 1866

Energy (ft-lbs)

Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500

Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 2702 2225 1818 1472 1180 936

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 2820 2281 1827 1445 1131 876

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 3221 2667 2196 1792 1448 1160

Short-Range Trajectory

Cartridge Type Bullet 50 100 150 200 250 300

Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 0.1 0.6 zero -1.8 -5.1 -9.8

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 0.2 0.7 zero -2.2 -5.9 -11.4

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 0.0 0.5 zero -1.6 -4.6 -9.0

Long-Range Trajectory

Cartridge Type Bullet 100 150 200 250 300 400 500

Remington® Express® 130 PSP CL 1.5 1.4 zero -2.8 -7.0 -20.9 -43.3

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 1.8 1.6 zero -3.2 -8.2 -24.4 -50.9

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 1.3 1.2 zero -2.5 -6.6 -20.2 -43.4

I have an 30-06 and a 270 and a 243. last october I was in wyoming and I left the 270 at home, manly becuse I have shot my -06 for 15 years and can shot it well I've made one shot kills out to 400 yards. the 243 came along for speed goats and because I had never shot anything with it. 30-06 .270 7mm .308 .243 you can go wrong. the gun you chose may be wrong. A good bolt action is hard to beat. hit the range shot alot of rounds not a box or two but 5 or 10 boxes and get to know your rifle at ranges from 20 to 300 yards.

I too am looking for strictly a deer gun. I have a 308 and 7 mm Reg mag and like them both. Do I need a another deer gun NO, but do I want one YES. Right now my favorite deer gun is the 7mm but I down load it to 2840 fps, with 150 Nosler (almost a 270). I like the gun but it is alittle long (Parker Hale 1200C). I have pretty much settled on the 270 but the gun is the guestion. I want a synthic stock, bolt and clip in a 20 or 22 inch barrel. Remington has a new gun this year a Model 798 SPS which looks like it may suit the bill, has anybody tried it.

A great big THANKS to all you that commented on shooting through bush. Plain and simple DO NOT. Wait and pick your target.

Lastly to your original question, ALL three cal. are great deer calibres. It does not matter how much whomp U have if miss the mark, U will be either trailing, messed up meat or lost deer.

I think that the 243, and 270 are great deer calibers, but i love the old work horse 30-06. And the bullet of choice is 180 grain. i also recently bought the new nikon with the BDC reticle and now i feel very comforble shoot 200+. Everybody else in my group shoots the 243 and they drop deer every year, but they also have little to no blood trail. I can promise this is not the same with the 30-06 and thats another reason that i dont see a change coming anytime soon.

I think either the Tikka, or the browning are great choices if your looking for a bolt gun with a detachable clip. And i also see that Cabelas has the Tikka for a very good price.

Canuck,

I bought my wife a Tikka T3 lite stainless steel about three years ago and it has performed great. Has the synthetic stock, detachable clip and is extreemly accurate. She shoots a 25-06. Great gun for her and I like to use it for yotes in the off season.

Hitman 54, you are right, Tikka make good guns. I will diffently take a look. On the 25.06, a friend who is well known for his gunsmithing across Canada has also mentioned the 25.06 for deer but always thought it might be alittle light for some of the heavier animals up here. Then again I have been told to use my 22.250 but it is alittle heavier and not a synthic stock (Rugger M77). Nice gun and a real tack gun, great for coyotes and goffers.

Thanks, I will have a look.

I used to shoot a ruger m77 in 30-06 and it was one fine piece of equipment but that was 25 yrs ago and I had to sell it now I shoot a weatherby vanguard in 30-06 and it is the smoothest, nicest shooting gun in 06 I have ever shot. I shoot 165 hornady boattail bullets thru it that a friend reloads for me.

I love the versatillity of the 30-06

I'am however looking for a 308 or 243 for my son mostly a 243.

i can't believe that no one has mentioned the 7mm-08. the bore is .268 cal similar to the 270. i bought the REM model 7 CDL bolt action 2 years ago[also offered w/synthetic stock]. the barrel length is about 20 or 21 in. nice little gun. very deadly weapon.

I'll second the 7mm-08. Ive got a Savage and love it. I have to laugh tho every time I see or hear that you need something as hard hitting as a 7 mag or bigger. Just go get whatever you are comfortable with. The freakin' deer wont even know what hit 'em with a properly placed shot. Maybe thats why some shoot canons, no confidence, so if you if you dont hit them right, the big hole will leak enough or break alot of stuff. I'd pay more attention to optics IMO.

I personally shoot a bolt action Remmington model 700 in .270 caliber. For deer season, i sit under a powerling that runs through the woods and can see a good 500 yards both ways. It's nice knowing that if one steps out, I don't have to wait until it gets within a couple hundred yards. My second choice would be a lever action Winchester model 94 in 30-30 caliber. It doesn't have the range of a .270, but the knock-down power is terrific. My uncle owned a Marlin .308 for a couple of years, and he took around 3 or four deer with it. Then he sold it. He said that every deer he shot, ran at least 100 yards before it dropped. The velocity on it was simply too high, and it was blowing right through the animal without shrooming out too much. I dont know what grain he was using, and a heavier grain probably would have helped, but it gave me a bad impretion on the .308. Oh yeah, the Remmington also comes in a 7mm. A great choice if ever want to go elk hunting.

Interesting. If you use the argument that .308 is too fast and needs a heavier grained bullet, then that .270 of yours must let deer run at least 200 yards then, right? Check the ballistics. Whats faster and smaller? Both of those calibers are very capable taking deer or elk. If someone has a problem killing with either one, please stop hunting, you scare me.