Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pumper317

Hows the bite around Grand Rapids?????

17 posts in this topic

I am looking for any info on any lakes around there. Any kind of fish, just want some responses.

Thanks guys

Has anyone fished around there? Come on there has to be someone who can answer this post!

been fishign trout lake in coleraine this week and have had very little luck. have heard of some guys catching crappies out on sugar though. pretty slow everywhere though....

If you are just going to be following fishing reports to the hot bite you will most likely be disappointed. Your best bet is to look at a map and pick out some lakes, do some research, and put some time in on the ice. That is you best bet for success.

Don't be the one following the good fishing reports, be the one making them.....

Thanks bassman,

We already have places to go, but i want to know how other people are doing. I am not looking for ideas.

havent been alot of good reports around everything is kinda hit and miss mostly misses

Jason

Hey guys an update on my weekend in the Grand Rapids area...

Unlike the reports i got on this post my group of 6 did very well this last weekend. We fished bluegills and caught hundreds, but kept 37 around the 10 inch mark. Along with those we got 6 nice largemouths and a couple small northerns. We also went trout fishing and caught around 30-35 and kept 7, rainbows and 1 brook. Also we went walleye fishing 4 of us on superbowl sunday evening and we got 1 29" walleye, 1 25" walleye, and a few missed opportunities on the other tip ups. All in all it was a great weekend, lots of fun, and lots of fish.

the only time we struggled for fish was spearing, we only saw one northern 2-3 lbs, and one tulibee, now getting smoked. But we did catch some perch to keep us occupied.

So i hope this helps people's idea of the fishing up there. Maybe so postive reports will start coming in up there.

good luck everyone

Nice to hear, and thanks for the post. I'm headed up there this weekend and it helped me shift from low expectations to a little brighter attitude.

Glad to hear you had success.

Thanks for the update pumper, similar to Stick I'm probably heading up this weekend as well but wasn't sure if I was going to fish or work on the cabin...might have to fish now.

We're heading up there this weekend too. More snowmobile work needs to be done but will try to get out fishing SOMEWHERE and give a short report.

sounds like a great weekend of fishing pumper! I've only fished Hill Lake by Hill City in this area but am heading up that direction in a couple weeks and am planning to try and scout out a few new lakes since we usually just set up tip ups and catch hammer handle pike on Hill. Not asking you to give away hotspots but do you know of a decent bluegill lake within reasonable distance of Hill City? That is the one species I have struggled on this winter as there are very few quality bluegills left in St. Cloud area lakes it seems \:\(

Anyways good to hear someone is having success in the GR area

esquagamah or waukenabo lakes south of hill city on 169, west side, are good. You have to find them, but its not too hard. They are pretty small lakes. I have fished out there in the past. they have decent crappies in them too, And pike.

Good luck, and let me know how you do.

thanks pumper, I appreciate the tip! I personally don't give out many specifics on here because I have seen what severe pressure can do to the fishing around St. Cloud but in this case you don't need to worry. I keep a few fish now and then for a meal but usually practice C&R. Again, thanks for the point in the right direction and I will let you know how it goes next weekend.

~Sartell Angler

The bite around here was pretty good until this cold snap, but Saturday is supposed to warm up and I would be willing to bet the fish are going to be hungry! I know I don't offer much, but I personally have not been out since last Saturday when the wind tried to carry me off the lake.

Good luck to everone and safe travels!

Yeah, i'm pumped for this heatwave coming tomorrow. i'm gonna hit up Pokegama for some spearing, tip-ups, and perch and walleyes. Anyone else plan on going out??

but of course ;-) Let's hope the warm weather tomorrow does turn on the Pokeg bite, and increase the 'window shopper' pike traffic in the spear hole

which part of the lake do you spear?