• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anti virus software, whats best?

John Mickish

Question

Ok, we are getting tired of Norton and how it has really slowed things down and the subscription is due next week.

Is there a antivirus/popup blocker/ad blocker/spyware blocker software that does all of the good of Norton without the huge file sizes?

25 answers to this question

Trend is supposed to be about the best right now. That's what our IT guys says. I still have NAV, but like you, may drop it at subscription time.

We were in the same situation, this time around we went with CA anti virus. It was recomended by the tech who tuned up our pc. I wanna say it cost about 40 bucks or so. And so far, so good.There is a freebie on the net, but it has no support or auto update.

I was told that Trend Micro is on the top. I have used it for three years along with Webroot Spysweeper antivirus and I have no issues ever. Yes, its about $60-$70 per year for the two but I lost 1 computer due to a virus once and it hopefully wont happen again.

Mebbe the free stuff that your Internet provider includes with your account?

I get F-Secure from Charter. Dunno if it's "the best" but I've not had any malware problems.

EDIT: The F-Secure package is firewall, anti-virus & email scanner, spyware filter, spam filter, etc...

I installed Eset's NOD32 on all of my compnany's computers and it is great. Recommended to me by 3 seperate IT guys. It doesn't slow down the computer, and is completely maintenence free.

Originally Posted By: fisherdog19
I installed Eset's NOD32 on all of my compnany's computers and it is great. Recommended to me by 3 seperate IT guys. It doesn't slow down the computer, and is completely maintenence free.

I agree with Nod32.

Have had that for 3 years now. Runs in the background, doesn't slow things up....you dont get pestering emails from them selling stuff. Its got auto update also and is the same price as most others. It is scalable to tie into email, programs, IE.

Combine that with a good firewall and no worry's.

AVG AntiMalware has been pretty good, very easy on system resources. $44.95 for a 2 year subscription. Takes care of virus's, spyware and malware.

Mike

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm using AVG Free Addition and no complaints. Zone Alarm Fire Wall Free Addition as well.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I use Trend and Webroot Spysweeeper and am happy so far!

Myself and other IT people where I work have been running AVG Free Addition for a couple of years. It works great and costs you nothing.

Avg free version for me also. No problems, and doesnt slow your computer down like Norton.

At Work we Run Trend and Love it.

At home I'm AVG Free and love it.

Firewall, was using Comodo Pro Free, but then I had problems with my computer and now can't reinstall it.......It is supposedly the best, and FREE.

I just installed Trend Security Pro. It was recommended by an IT guy. So far so good, except forwarding some photos, which I'm working with them on.

Why do you run Webroot with this?

Great topic, guys! I'm in the market for new 'anti-software also...

For those of you who have AVG Free, do you need to install the anti-virus AND the anti-spyware editions? I've been told both are needed.

AVG FREE.......

The problem with terminating Norton or Mcafee is they like to inbed themselves which can cause problems when using another AntiVirus program.

Good point, Pier. I was told this and was given the suggestion to have Norton professionally removed. Since I had a virus anyway, this was easy to do. I now have no anti-anything.

To liven this one up a little bit more, and make it more like the Marcum vs Vex threads, I recommend getting a mac. That way you don't need any virus software. Such a better alternative to the best software for windows. \:\)

Also, I hear the AVG free version is good.

Originally Posted By: Eckie
Good point, Pier. I was told this and was given the suggestion to have Norton professionally removed. Since I had a virus anyway, this was easy to do. I now have no anti-anything.

I would get some anti virus on there. Lots of stuff floating around out there to infect ya these days.

Sand ~

I'm with ya...luckily, I currently don't have it plugged into the ethernet and have not used it since bringing it home. It can't get infected if it's not connected! \:\)

I run AVG free, antivirus only as well as zone alarm free, firewall only. A good free set up. I also use thunderbird (mozilla) for email (also free) and am working on blocking spam with that. Any antivirus will require updates frequently since there are always new viruses. Mac is a good option if want one mouse button and compatability with some software instead of all. I used to use AdAware but since I got rid of it I haven't had problems so I don't think adware is a big problem. I have really tested the free software with 10Mbps Internet access always connected and frequently being used. I have hit a lot of questionable sites also. I have a home network and zonealarm works well with it. Now Network Magic is some software worth paying for, was able to share files, Internet access, and printing for my laptop with about an hour of set up including changing defaults on the router for better security.

Originally Posted By: Chode2235
To liven this one up a little bit more, and make it more like the Marcum vs Vex threads, I recommend getting a mac. That way you don't need any virus software. Such a better alternative to the best software for windows. \:\)

I would consider a Mac but I'd rather have all my software work correctly and I may need to upgrade my hardware at sometime which rules out the Mac from a financial standpoint and its not like you can find Mac hardware to upgrade with anyway and of course getting the New Hardware to work on Mac would be futile at best... grin.gif

Carry On!...LOL

Spy Sweeper is a must if you are on your computer a lot. Some people dont know that there is a lot of stuff that can be going on in your background that norton and others cant stop. Spy helps stop them and block them, i havent alway had it and i do now and it has help a lot. I had some bad stuff on my computer that was just going on in the background and never new it.