Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
37marine

Need some tips for fishing the croix

10 posts in this topic

I'm new to the area and looking for some valuable info on how to go about ice fishing the st.croix. I did well this summer on the croix, but have no clue on how to ice fish hit.

Safest area is Bayport, Though you still have unsafe openwater and plain unsafe areas in general.

The crappie bite has been good this year, best in about five years, so jigging is working well when the activity is high. Bobbers (ice busters) w plain hook properly weighted is normally the best rig in my mind.

The catch is the crappie are suspended so bobber placement via the slip knot should be adjusted accordingly.

Also it's a basin fishery, with next to no weedline. You picked the best year to learn the river, no guarantees though... grin.gif

Keep Cathcin'

Turk

Appreciate it. Is there much of a current?

I fished it this summer just south of the 94 bridge from boat and did no notice much of a current, but I would imagine that it gets stronger in more narrow of arrows.

Im going to try river ice fishing for the first time next weekend after reading everyones posts. Im hoping to catch and release some crappies.

Turk mentioned its a basin fishery. once I hit the ice should I be setting up in some of the deeper parts of the river? Stick with the crowd or go off on my own?

Im really excited to give it a try!

If you head out there next weekend give me a hollar. I went north of the crowds and didn't do to bad. I punched a bunch of holes way south of the crowds and found some potential.

Where do you generally access the river from? I'd like to be out there saturday afternoon for sure

I have gone out of bayport the last two weekends. The first weekend We didn't do so well. This weekend I did a lot better. All the crappies came off the bottom. Twitch to no movement at all was working for me.

Airjer if you wanna hook up next weekend that would be sweet. Like I said i've never fished the river so it might serve me well. drop me a line "cplummer1983 @ yahoo . com"

A creative fisherman will find fish on any given body of water. Just be VERY careful on the river. A safe bet is to go where the crowds are, but play your cards right, and you can get into fish out there where nobody has dared to try.