• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

From the front lines Jan 31 report

Random guy

I think the first wave of crappie attacks may be starting.

The crappie regiments are growing daily, currently crappies scouts are running headlong into scouting guides as the larger grunts begin to march down the crappie highway. It will not be long until these nomadic warriors of the stained water begin to stack up and stage for the annual late ice battle that occurs every March.

(That was fun) \:\)

Some crappies are showing up mixed in with walleyes and targeting the same presentations, makes sense as they are just as big as the walleyes and target the same Upper Red Lake forage base. Anglers working the one/two punch are picking up a great mixed bag of fish. The simple but effective tactic of jigging a Rattling Varmit in glow colors tipped with a minnow right along side of a bare hook under a bobber is fooling even the most finicky of fish. Both the walleye and crappie will come in to investigate the rattle, flash and glow produced by the Rattling Varmit only turn away and pick up the deadsticked or bobber minnow along side. A dead stick alone will not do it and a rattling Varmit alone will not do but combined it has been deadly over 11-13 feet of water and deeper.

Red Lake pike have been moody to say the least, one day pike are stripping walleye rigs all over the lake and the next day a tip-up will sit motionless all day. Best bite for pike has been in the 12 foot of water range higher in the water column, typical travel pattern for neutral pike. Jigging spoons and sucker minnows on tip –ups placed half way up the water column are showing the best results.

Perch are targeting both larvae and small minnow presentations off the tips of shore bound rock piles and heavy gravel areas in 8-10 feet of water. Jigging spoons equipped with dropper rigs have been producing well as Gem-N-Eyes and small Demons. Upper Red lake has begun to show its Perch Potential as many of these yellow rascals are measuring anywhere from 10- 12”.

Good Luck and enjoy the Outdoors.

{legal disclamer: If you come up to play cards, roll dice, stare out the window or try to bring down the Miller Brewing Company one can at a time by noon this report is useless}

;\)

i love your last remark there is so much truth into that.and thanx for the great report.

You say 11-13 feet of water, are you talking from the bottom of the ice, or the top of the ice. Looking at the map, I don't see much depth change out at 5+ miles by your road, unless you are talking about the island out by the line. Guess Im maybe the dumb one that has a hard time seeing anything else other than 15 feet. Any help??

The map was created with the lake at much higher level then it is currently.

or

On the map 13-15 or deeper.

Originally Posted By: Ears
You say 11-13 feet of water, are you talking from the bottom of the ice, or the top of the ice. Looking at the map, I don't see much depth change out at 5+ miles by your road, unless you are talking about the island out by the line. Guess Im maybe the dumb one that has a hard time seeing anything else other than 15 feet. Any help??
you looking at a gps map or a lake map?

on my 2006 lakemaster chip shows all kinds of depths.it shows that 13 ft to 14 ft quit aways out before it turns in to 15 ft of water in that area.

it varies from the shore to shore on how far out you gotta go to get to 15ft

I have the newest lakemaster map, not sure if thats the 06 or 07, but we were out 5 miles and there is nothing for depth change for a long ways, just trying to get a bearing on what areas Johnny is talking about, a lot of lake out there!

Basicaly what I am saying is the deeper parts of the lake or areas of soft bottom out past 10 feet of water, and that is a very large area.

Jonny, I just want to say thanks for being such a great asset to this web site. I know that at least a few of us look forward to your comments,.... knowing that you have likely had a long day on the lake... grin.gif

I can't wait to get up there. T-8 hours until we leave. Thanks for the great report Jon. We hope to get into the fish, and the last comment is great.

Good luck to everyone fishing this weekend.