• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is Nathan Next?

Dahitman44

Printed in the STrib --

Nathan update

Dave Pepe, the agent for Twins closer Joe Nathan, will be in Fort Myers again next week, but the sides have made no progress toward a contract extension since last month.

This is getting upsetting -- they need to sign him if for no other reason to have the chance to trade him down the road. The young kids need to have Nathan in the pen IMO.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• Scott K

• tisosy11

• Gary Crichton

I agree 100%. They need to sign if for no other reason they can trade him in July if they are out of it and then they can get something for him.

If they are gonna waste money on Nathan, then they should have made a stronger push to sign Hunter and Johan.

Nathan is great, there is no arguing that, but IMO a good closer is not worth nearly as much as a starting centerfielder or ACE starter.

He will likely command a 4/60 contract. If you are gonna waste that type of money on a closer, then why couldn't you have offered Torri a 4th year, or Johan a 5ht?

I don't think you'll see the Twins pay him. I will bet he gets dealt at the deadline for a 3B prospect. I don't know where we get that, but 3B is and has been the biggest hole in Minnesota since Koskie left.

Hunter and Johan were offered what they were worth. Their new teams overpaid.

I don't think that Nathan is an elete closer. Granted, a lot of teams would like to have him but he's just as likely to give up a lead as get a save.

And looking at the Twins starting staff on opening day, I can't see him getting enough save opportunities to be worth this year's salary.

Hunter was worth more than they offered him IMO. Johan I would have gone 5/100.

They might have been overpaid, but Nathan will also be overpaid.

That is my point. If they are gonna overpay a closer, why wouldn't they have overpayed guys that are a vital part of the team first? Not saying Nathan isn't important, but I don't think you'll see the Twins dump the money it takes into him either.

Guys --

You need to see the big pic on this one -- Nathan IS considered the best or one of the top three closers in baseball. When you give him the ball you have a great shot at winning.

We also have one of the best pens in ball as well. Let them do the job they have now and we will be in great shape.

The kids in the rotation will learn and get better. Nothing like pitching a good game giving the ball to the pen and having a new closer that is not ready for the job blow it.

We need Natrhan.

Even Gardy said that and he normally does not say anything.

Just make sure the contract does not have a no trade clause and you are protected in case you feel you really need to unload him. With no contract no team is going to give you what he is worth because he will be free to go anywhere next year. eg. Johan.

But if you sign him to a, to high of a contract no team will want him either!

They shouldnt, and no one should! Only a couple do! So if them couple over pay, does that then make it market value?

Only saying that if the twins sign him it will be for what other teams will be willing to pay to get him. In July when a team is so close they will pay for a top closer. Then the twins can pick up a top position player.

its likely nathan will be moved...especially if neshek can continue to dominate!

I really wouldnt have a problem with that!But they better get a better deal then they got from the Mets!

Yea, no doubt. On paper the mets hosed us!

But who knows...on paper the giants hosed us too!

Ya I know, we wont know for a few years! But for game ready talent, we got hosed!

span will probably take the job out of the gate hopefully we can fit gomez's speed in some places.

Im sure Gomez will be good, but we dont need his sub .240 in the batting order. If he can learn to hit better, I think he will be a good kid. The fielding mistakes he has made, is just normal rookie mistakes, wich will improve with experience. But the poor ba is something that is hard to teach and improve on for some kids.

Originally Posted By: Dahitman44
I think you guys will be at least a little surprised.

Hitman, I am hoping they supprise me. I like young teams, you never know what is going to become of them. We have potential this year to compete, but we just need our pictures to be consistant.

A source told ESPN's Buster Olney that the Twins and Joe Nathan have all but finalized a four-year deal worth $11 million-$12 million per season.

It might be worth it for a large-market team. For the Twins to spend 15 percent of their budget on guy pitching five percent of the team's innings is simply a ridiculous move. They should have traded and used the money to help upgrade two or three more important spots. Mar. 22 - 1:59 pm et

Source: ESPN Insider

good move by the twins, we needed nathen to a long term contract. I just hope he signs.

I disagree heartidly, this club needs to hold onto Nathan and he is worth that kind of money. We need to hold onto a SOLID closer, because if you don't remember before we got Nathan in the Przyinski trade, we had "everyday" I blew a save Eddie. Plus why break up the Twins Bullpen...its honestly the best feature of the team that is intact, and having a solid closure at the end of that bullpen for those close ones is essential. Everyone thinks this team is in disaray and won't amount to much, but we will be ok, and probably have the best offensive team we have had in years! The starting pitching isn't going to be what it was the last few seasons, but I guess that is expected with a younger rotation and I just know Gardy and Anderson will prepare and get these younger pitchers better so they can contribute positively in wins, maybe not right away but it takes time. Look at yourselves when you started a new job and didn't have a clue on what the heck was going on or what to do, and in time you got the handle of things, while working at it, well its a same for a rookie major league baseball player.

There gonna trade him half way only if Pat is what he can be then they will trade him for some type of bat. Then if i was them i would sign Bonds right now, im a Bonds fan for life roids or no roids.

Originally Posted By: mrklean
There gonna trade him half way only if Pat is what he can be then they will trade him for some type of bat. Then if i was them i would sign Bonds right now, im a Bonds fan for life roids or no roids.

grin.gif

Disagree with both statements. If they sign Nathan to 4 years, why in the world why they even think about trading him? Now if the signing falls through for some reason, then the Twins will probably trade him.

And the Twins have had a good reputation in the clubhouse. They do not need the distractions that come with Barry Bonds. Besides, his skills are declining fast. Definitely not worth the money, bad publicity, and declining skills.

The reason the twins should/would sign nathan to this contract is simple. At the trading deadline in the next 3-4 years, not much of a contract for the Yanks/Sox to pick up and the twins can get some value for him at that time.

In the next 3-4 years, possibly. But definitely not next year.