Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tipup101

The New Hot Bait!!!!!

11 posts in this topic

O.k get this I was told to go to the pet store and buy 2 dozen crickets. A good freind of mine was told this by some one. So he went to zumbro with 2 dozen crickets and went through them all in 30 min. He said he marked fish in a spot droped the cricket down and the fish raced up to get it. He caught nine crappies and 11 gills. So he took his crickets to french to try it out there the next day. Same thing. He said when he was out of crickets he had to work for bites the rest of the day. So not like there was a feeding frenzy going on. I have never herd of crickets before so i'm gonna have to give this a try.Thought you guys would like to know.

That sounds like fun do you know if he just used a plain hook or an ice jig or what was his set up?

iv seen ppl use gold fish and caught em

Crickets are a well known bait for panfish. I think that is all they use in Europe, and have traditionally been very popular here as well. Most bait shops don't carry them due to the work involved. Glad you discovered another great panfish bait, it may have helped that they very rarely see anything like that around here.

se mn fishslayer you have mail

Small jigs and swedish pimples are what he mainly used.

I have heard of using the fresh water shrimp as well. Again something different, and both kinda look alike, but definately not something that every panfish around here has seen.

Hey Tipup101

What Pet Store did your friend get the crickets from? Were they live or frozen?

Last Spring, my buddy and I went trout fishing down by Lanesboro and we were have a hard time getting them trout to bite. So I pulled out some soft plastic crickets that I picked up on a whim at Gander and as soon as I dropped in the water I had a bite. So I can totally believe the kind of luck your buddy was having.

Was the crickets frozen or live and what kind did he use?

That sounds fun. Sounds just like what I need to get the boy out on the ice if they hit that good.

I grew up fishing with grasshoppers down south and man the Brim and Crappie would tear them up.

I bought some plastic crickets at Gander and caught a perch with it not long after dropping it down on Saturday.

Live crickets he got them at pet smart.