Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bruiser

eyes and crappies on bald eagle??

12 posts in this topic

I have been fishing bald eagle for 3 years now and have only been fishing for northerns off of the north end of the lake. just last week I went to the west side of rocky reef and did some crappie fishing with a buddy and got a couple crappies 6-8 inches and sunnies and a shinner. was wondering if anyone knows where to get some eyes on this lake and or some bigger crappies. I was in 30ft of water, any info will help gonna go back out there 2nite.

Good luck finding any crappies of size. At least, I have never been able to find any with size. They eyes are pretty elusive out there too.

30 ft is about where you want to be. I would even say a little deeper. keep moving until you find and mark fish. Also, for the eyes you might want to set up in some deep to shallow transition areas.

For BE, try to get away from the crowds and the noise.

i had my best crappie day out there with the wife last spring. many crappies 10-11", but that was open water, only caught a few in winter.

can you get around out there with a car or is there alot of snow?

Snow?

A pair of ice skates would probably work well!

Used my girlfriends car on saturday to save a little gas and it was smooth sailing all the way. There are a few rough spots, but there is little to no snow left. Yes, Ice skates would work too.

GoggleEye

First step out on of my pickup on Sat. I ended up on my butt.

In the past, I've got real nice crappies on Bald but it's been a few years.Every spot I tried Saturday(and the last couple years for that matter) have yielded pretty small crappies. Just the occasional 8.5-9"er.

hows the sunfish bite? any good area to try for them? are thay like the crappies or are there some good eaters around?

I've been to bald eagle twice last time in 25fow, off the island, 2 small crappie's. real slow. I think this lake isn't worth the return anymore. I'm moving on to white bear lake.

Walleyes - I have been on Bald Eagle many times so far this winter (even a lot well before guys were driving) and fished many different pieces of great structure at prime time (8-22 fow) and have struggled everytime to get more than 1 walleye - and that walleye is always 10.75 inches. I plan on learning WBL a lot better this spring: better big fish potential w/ people more spread out. Plus, it a much more beautiful lake.

Crappies - can't bring myself to fish for all those 6.5"er's...do people really keep these?

My experience on Bald Eagle Lake has not been productive, but I was out there last month and caught a few small crappies in 30 feet of water by the island during the day around noon. I have heard many credible stories about how hot the night time fish bite is on Bald Eagle in 30 feet of water by the island, but I have personally never tried it this winter.