Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hookset 31

? about Tofte Lake streamer eggs

15 posts in this topic

Fished Tofte Monday after the bash and caught a couple streamers. When cleaning them, one had a belly full eggs, some bigger red ones and some smaller orange ones. Can someone shed a little lite on this for me?

Could be two batches of eggs at different stages of development.

Thanks stf - I've seen the small orange eggs when fishin Superior (steelhead) but the bigger red eggs kinda got me wonderin.

Well, I don't know if that's it. Just an idea.

If i had to guess, sounds to me like someone was chumming with spawn.

angler, that's a good thought. Hookset mentioned they were in the belly, and I didn't assume that meant the stomach, but it could have meant that. If they were in the stomach, they were of course eaten.

i would think that the smaller orange ones were just immature, or at an earlier stage in development. Ever clean a hen steelhead in the fall? Opaque orange all over. Very early run brownies too. Granted, steelhead always do have very orange eggs. I've never seen brookie eggs, but some cohos seem to have a redder tinted egg when more mature.

If they were in the skien, the fish didn't spawn last fall and was absorbing those eggs.

in nearly 20 yrs that i have fished tofte, i don't ever remember cleaning a splake or rainbows that had eggs in them naturally.

Do splake, as hybrids of laker and brookie, even form eggs? Dunno.

Rainbows form eggs even when they are stocked in a fishery that doesn't offer spawning sites, as far as I know. I've found eggs in rainbows in Miners and a couple other streamer lakes.

Splake form eggs, they are just less fertile than brookies or lakers (from the Fishes of Wisconsin book by George Becker).

Thanks, TS77! grin.gif

well i have never seen eggs in them, and i have caught them mostly in the winter and some in the summer, so my second guess on the topic is no.....heading to [PoorWordUsage] tomorrow morning........

poor word usage....the letter B and S burntside tomorrow

Thanks for the insight. Sorry i didn't get back on till now but i found it hard to leave the ice . Yes - the eggs were in the stomach- the red ones were about the size of garden peas- the orange were smaller,closer to steelhead eggs. Thanks again-now to save some $ to get back to ([PoorWordUsage]) - Burntside or Grand Marias.