• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

medicine

hardwaterguy

Good 'ole Medicine Lake! 2 minutes from the house and a lot of posts from this website. I have not been out in the past two weeks. When I was out two weeks ago, we were on the east side in 28 FOW. We had a flurry of small perch and 4" to 8" walleyes!?! Then once dark hit the vexi went quiet. I have never seen anything of size out of that lake...other then a 4 pound northern. The crappies in Harty's Baitshop are nice....do they still exist in that lake? I want to go out tonight for an evening bite....any luck? Any size? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Once in a while you'll see a White Crappie that'll wake you up, but the vast majority are Blacks in the 6"-9" range. Seems like there's a heavy year class of 6"er's so maybe it'll get better in a few years.

I fished there a couple of days ago... I did very good with ther crappies... I caught many crappies in the 7 to 10 inch range... Medecine, in my opinion is an excellent lake to fish at for panfish.

What depth have they been at lately, I'm home from school for the weekend and haven't fished in about a month, the crappies were pretty deep 25-30, anything changed? Thanks for the help, I'm taking a buddy out who doesn't fish much and was pretty confident we could get on some crappies at medicine (some panfish would be nice too, are they shallower?).

Two weekends ago I couldn't keep the gills off of the rod if I tried but I couldn't catch any crappies while others around me were managing a few. This past Saturday, the bite was incredibly light and it took me awhile to figure out what was happening with my spring bobber. Still kept some gills which ran a bit better this weekend and caught a bunch of crappies but mostly the 5-6" year class. Did manage 4 keepers in the 8-9" range and because I brought my dog along for the very first time and didn't think I could pay attention to a second rod while making sure she wasn't in trouble so I dropped out a tipup and got a 5# bonus northern. (thanks to a neighboring fisherman who helped pull her out of the hole and for a good piece of advice on what bait seemed to make the difference on the crappies) It was waxies for the gills but a red eurolarvae definitely made the difference for the keeper crappies.

There are houses and folks in all of the deep holes and I would guess that they are all catching crappies but how many and what size I can't say as I haven't hit any of those spots yet.

Hey Tripleplay, thanks for the report. I'm hoping to get on a midday crappies bite this Saturday. I've got plans to meet Medicineman for some pizza at Harty's on Saturday, maybe mid-afternoon. If your free stop by.

I was out with Lee the Bonehead saturday morning and found the Sunnie bite to be tough. I had no problem finding Perch early in the morning. I made this video while waiting for Lee:

The bite wasn't so good - but we were just kind of poking around and catching up. It was great to see ya' again!

I'm playing for some Wayzata bay ice golf thing (on the ice) Saturday 11:00 AM, but you might see me out on Med Sunday morning. I gotta get that old auger gas burned off! If I do make it out I'll hit Joe's for some bait and we'll see if that makes a difference.

Right now I think I will be out on Saturday probably a bit earlier start than normal for me. I've got a nephew in town with his family and I've told him to come prepared to fish. I need to hit it early as my father-in-law is also coming to the cities and I've been "told" that I'm needed at home some of the day for entertainment purposes (he doesn't want to come fishing). Not sure if I'll be on the lake mid-afternoon still or not but I'll probably start with gills and hope for the occasional crappie.

tip_upclyma, Lee the Bonehead hit the nail on the head. There are nice Crappies in Medicine, but they're far and few between. The only time I'm able to get on the big whites is for about 6-10 days in the spring when they are spawning. Here are a few nice Crappies:

Crappie1.jpg

Crappie3.jpg

Crappie4.jpg

Those whites look alot like blacks. I know they're not blacks, but could they be hybrids? I've heard of blacks and whites spawning together before, just wondering if anyone could verify for me.

Hey Medicineman....really appreciate the pics!!!! I think I am going to head out tonight at 6pm....has anyone been having any luck with the evening bite, or am I wasting my time? Heading up to URL in a week and need to get out before then.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been doing much on Medicine? I havnt heard much chatter about it and was thinking about heading out this weekend. Also anyone know how the contest on the 10th went?

I did well as far as numbers on Saturday from 3:30 until 6pm when they shut off. Kept one smaller crappie and 5 bluegills. But the action was fast during that time.

First time heading to medicine any tips on the northerns. I have to be up there for a deal Friday night and thought might as well hit it during the day for s_ _ t's and giggles. Any pointers would be appreciated as I have never fished the lake before.

Early part of the year i've done real well in the 20' hole in the northern arm of the lake, haven't tried anywhere else

I was out on the weed flat on the west side i believe about a month ago and ended up with a 9lber that was fun