Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
angler903

burbot feb 18-20

angler903

My wife and I are staying at Eddy's these days and would like to catch burbot (never caught one). What works, lure wiseand depth or sruture

AceintheHole

Drop a white jig with a fathead about 1-2" of the bottom and just leave it till about 3am we it goes off and tragles all your lines up. Try deep rocks or mud 27'plus. The are fun to catch when there not messin all your lines up.

outdoorav

fish on the bottom with set line and jig a minnow head. they bit good at night right on the bottom.

angler903

Do they spawn around this time or is it later? How have they bit this winter? I heard that L.O.W is having a down year burbot just wondering if Mille Lacs is good?

broman

I caught about a 2 pounder last weekend. Took it home and cooked it up by boiling. It was my first time eating it. Not impressed, didn't really have much of a taste. Maybe I'll try another method for cooking for the next one.

I caught it using a minnow on plain hook and weight on rattle reel. It hit about 6pm.

JBMasterAngler

I believe pout do their spawning in december, so yeah, they should be all done now. From what I've been hearing this season, as long as your fishing (or at least pretending) to fish for walleye's, you'll catch plenty of eel pout. grin.gif

Ryan_V

I've never eaten them, want to, just never have had the chance. I have heard that they are tasteless, if you cook them with walleye, they'll taste like walleye, cook it with pork, it'll taste like pork, etc, etc, etc.

pumper317

I love fishing for these guys, Mostly just catch them fishing for eyes' but always fun.

Great to eat, i think, boil with butter... You might have cooked them too long broman, but maybe not. they arent for everyone. Just dont start throwing um on the ice like other people do. Some of us like them things.

I have read they spawn in feb and march, but are staging all through the winter on the humps and rock piles. i havent caught any this year, but i have only been out one time. My buddy got one about 16 inches long. It was the smallest pout i have ever seen. I cant wait to get back up there during their major running time at the end of this month and try it again.

Maybe some other fish will bite then too...

Good luck and have fun.

angler903

thanx sounds like a good time. if we catch a few we'll try different cooking methods. keep the info coming, on catching and cooking. anyone catch 'em around Eddy's or other public access?

avidfisher

i have a perm on agate and there has been about 12-15 caught and released,all under 14 inches except one that was the biggest i have ever seen. It was about 11 at night and i had on a nice 8inch shiner rattle wheel went off i could tell it was big i have a 10 inch auger and i barely worked his head through the hole i would bet he still would have made it through an 8 inch hole but tight fit while trying to get him out i could not grasp him very well and he snaped my line i wouldestimate hime to be around the upper 20,s how big can they get and how does one fillet and cook them. I have heard with butter and just the backstrip. I would be willing to try them out. By the way only 3 walleye caught in house all winter.

backlash 1

Y ou basically fillet off the backstrap and tail portion.

My wife boils it in water for about 5 min with some Lawreys mixed in. She makes a dip made up of melted butter with garlic.

You eat it basically like lobster, and it tastes very much like lobster.

I was watching a program about pout fishing on Leech the other day and it showed them deep frying pout. We'll have to try that sometime, looked good.

Good eating.

And yea, we just get sick when we see all the pout thrown out on the ice to rot. Wish people would get educated on this.

rockman

One of the local news channels showed folks frying up 'pout at the Walker Eelpout festival.That fried fish looked mighty tasty to me.Go figure, why people would waste such a good tasting fish.Same thing goes for channel cats in lakes where you can get them through the ice.

Desperado

Originally Posted By: Ryan_V
I have heard that they are tasteless, if you cook them with walleye, they'll taste like walleye, cook it with pork, it'll taste like pork, etc, etc, etc.

ZUCCHINI OF THE SEA ?