• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

L.O.W. Lake Trout

NAMASafetyDirector

Here's a pic, of the huge lake trout caught by Ray Shaben of Earling,IA near Garden Island on L.O.W. last weekend. The guy caught it hand over hand with 8 lb. test. 43 1/2" long and 23lbs! According to a few people I talked to it's nearly unheard of to catch a laker that far south on LOW! Congratulations Ray!

trout.jpg

And there it is, we had a post rolling yesterday about this fish! What luck just hooking it, what a fish story the method involved. This fish and one caught off the S tip a few winters back are the only ones I've ever heard of pulled off of the US side. They both must have been lost!

The guy pictured looks like he's been fishing a few years so he probably deserves to make the news!!!

Ya, I hope I don't have to wait that long till I land another wall hanger! Your right though, he's probably put in his time and well deserved that memorable trophy! That's what it's all about!

not sure if this is related or not but, while in Mb for a few days (1-10-12) there was a news paper article from the local muni we were in that had a story of lake trout caught on Buffalo Bay, we all doubted the story.. wow!

Minneman you did'nt catch how big that one was maybe? Different dates different fish it sounds.

Where's WT?...You hear anything about this Trout from Buff bay?

When will I catch one!

A few years back is seems i seen a thing on Franks forum up at the angle, something about a laketrout that came from one of his houses. May have been talkn bout a whitefish though. Most bizarre thing i ever seen was a pirrana caught in a local lake in Nw PA and a 6 foot catfish caught out of a large private pond, thought by the dnr to be some kind of asian or mongolian variety that was turned loose. It was as big as the guys who caught it on a splittail/maggot combo. I personaly caught an albino channelcat about 15 inches that i turned loose in another pond one day. Was like 3 inches long when my buddy got it and it just kept grown n grown till we finally got rid of it. had beady little pink eyes. I know catchin a laker in the southern portion of LOW isnt bizare but goes to tell u really never know what your gonna catch.

Fisky, you need to use Sutton spoons to catch Lake Trout. grin.gif

I know nothing for fact, but I've heard rumors of a couple being caught in the Bay area. Heard rumors of a Muskie in that area also.

I've lightened my tackle bag WT but for sure those bad boys are still in there! Even painted a few a tad bit pretty. Spendy buggers but they DO catch fish reliably!

A couple Trout pulled out of there too maybe so says the rumour mill...Cool it'd be nice to see one pop up the hole now and then!

I wonder if anyone will ever catch one of those Steelhead the DNR had planted back in I think it was the mid to late 80's? Bet they'd be rather large by now! Wonder if their lifespan is even that long.

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING. WHAT ARE THE ODDS A GUY COMES UP FROM IOWA AND PURCHASES A TROUT STAMP ON A WALLEYE FISHING TRIP TO A PLACE WHERE THERE ARE ESSENTIALLY NO TROUT PRESENT? I REALLY COULD CARE LESS, BUT THATS HOW PEOPLE GET TAGGED. THEY CATCH A GREAT FISH, GET THEIR PICTURE ALL OVER AND THEN THE DNR COMES KNOCKING. HOPEFULLY THE DNR COULD OVER LOOK THAT ONE.

Since when do you need a trout stamp to fish or keep Lake trout?

I've always understood the trout stamp was to fish designated lakes or to keep stream trout.

You've needed a trout stamp to fish for/keep lakers for as long as I can remember.

No way am an authority but I always thought you only needed to have a trout stamp if you were fishing on a designated trout lake, trout stream or Lake Superior and not needed if over 65

I was up fishing the bay in early january and heard from the marina that there had been 2 lakers caught by the south tip of buffalo just minutes apart in 20 ft. of water on the manitoban side.

Hi everyone. I've been fishing on Lake of the Woods out of Kenora, Ontario all my life and it's my experience that lake trout on L.O.W. actually migrate throughout the lake during winter months. It does'nt surprise me that people catch lake trout that far south from time to time while targeting walleye. I've fished the area between Clearwater Bay and Whitefish Bay for over 25 years and we would catch at least one trout every third or fourth trip while walleye fishing. So we actually put down trout lures while we're walleye fishing just incase. I have caught lake trout in Clearwater that were tagged in Whitefish Bay which is over 35 miles away. Near Kenora we have areas of water that are 60- 100 ft deep and they all hold lake trout.I go after trout on L.O.W. twice a week and they average 12 - 18 lbs. Here's a sample

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4287/2/85/69/68/97/1/197686985208_0_SM.jpg

Hi Shawn,How are you doing? Do you remember when we fished for lake trout near each other on White Fish Narrows a couple years ago. You gave me some hot tube jig's, and you also e-mailed some pictures of your LARGE trout, thanks.

Yes I do remember. Nice to hear from you. Are you gonna be up in the narrows this year? We did well last year.

we didn't get up there last spring, but we are planning to make it this year, hope to see you again.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: grpd
No way am an authority but I always thought you only needed to have a trout stamp if you were fishing on a designated trout lake, trout stream or Lake Superior and not needed if over 65

This is right out of the 2007 regs, page 8:

Except as noted, anglers need a trout stamp validation and a fishing or sports license when fishing in designated trout streams, designated trout lakes, Lake Superior, or when in possession of trout or salmon. Trout stamps are not required for children less than 16 years old, adults who are 65 and older, people fishing with a 24-hour license, or people who are exempt from fishing license requirements or who receive a fishing license at no charge.