Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skunked

which lake this june?

16 posts in this topic

I am plannig a trip north this june and am lokking for opinions on where to go. So far I have looked at Echo, crane, and kab. I am looking primarly for walleye and northern, and any feed back on lakes or areas would be greatly appreciated.

Vermilion

By the way, welcome to Fishing Minnesota/HotSpotOutdoors!

I have done Vermilion the past 2 years and can only get 8'' walleye any the notherns were hard to come by. Any helpful tips on that lake. I tried alot but that didnt seem to be right

Hello Skunked, Welcome to FM!! All three lakes that you mentioned are pretty good in June. Echo is more known for it's crappie fishing, but does have walleyes and pike also. Crane and Kabetogama are both good lakes in June. They tend to warm up faster in the spring because of the shallower waters. You can find lots of info on them. You can check out http://www.kabetogama.com or http://www.visitcranelake.com. This will show you all of the resorts that are in the area. Most resorts will fill up fast during that time period, so you might want to get the guys together and get on the horn.

Another question. Do these lakes have primative camping

accesible or just resort. If so can you camp anywhere in voyagers or only marked spots?

My apologies, I thought this was posted in the open water forum.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but my preference would be Crane.

Skunked, Yes there are primitive sites throughout the park. Crane, Sand Point, Namakan and Kabetogama all have camping sites. They are first come first serve sites.

skunked,

You can't go wrong coming up this way there are a ton of fishing opportunities for everything from walleyes to crappies. There is camping out on the lakes and it is free on a first come first served basis, but requires a permit. Kabetogama,Namakan and Sand Point are all within Voyageurs National Park and the park has built a bunch of campsites. This being a National Park there are rules and regs for camping that you need to be aware of. To get more info on the sites and rules and regs I would go to http://www.nps.gov/voya. Or call the Park at 218-283-6600 and they will send you more info. Hope this helps,

Duckster

thanks a lot, real big help

I think I have decided on kab. how is the fishing early june? Would it be better to wait a few weeks in for better fishing

Early June is the ticket! The walleye are shallower. Mid to late June they start heading for deeper water. I fish the first or second week of June every year, depending on when the kids get out of school. Only issue with late May/Early June is what kind of weather there will be. You need to be prepared for Hot and Cold. But to me the fishing couldn't be better. If your looking at June you should be making your reservations by now as this is the time of year they fill up fast. Good Luck, Hope to see you on the lake, I will be in a blue Sylvan Pro Select the week of June 7-14 this year. You won't be disappointed.

LOOKNG TO TRY AROUND WOLF PACK ISLANDS ANS BLIND INDIAN NARROWS ANY ADVISE

We fished the Nam Narrows last year early June, back in the small coves off of the narrow and out of the traffic we spent most of an afternoon catching nice Northern. We also went north into Hammer Bay and Hammer Bay south and fished the rocks, lots of Northern action. Good luck

Skunked,

I don't camp on the lakes but I know folks who do and from my own observations I know that competion for campsites is heavy. The wolf pack area is one of the most popular, as the campsites are very nice. At blind Indian the nearest sites are on Headlight Is., Williams Is, and Sexton. There are also a couple of sites in the old Dutch bay area which isn't far from blind Indian. I would suggest you grab the first site you find open.

Head west to Winie.

SF BOY, no such lake like that around these here parts, thanks anyway. guts