• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who says you need to go to Canada for big lakers???

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullibee

• warsh

• Steve Foss

• lakerslayer07

All right, dad gummit!!!!!

I'm going to start looking for a job I can be laid off from for the winter!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

awesome fish, great story, wonderful ethics,

fish on - you're doing a great job.

and if ya want shoot me an email, I have a cabin in Grand Marais, and am always looking for good fishing lakes and or buddies ;\)grin.gif

Hey, Mimic Shiner-

Remember that equipment you borrowed from my wife two years ago, well the next time I see you it is going to be time to pay up with a little info ;\)grin.gif

Way to put those skills working to good use. Released them all. See what muskie fishing does to you. LOL Great job, nice fish.

Jim Roerig

Originally Posted By: Silver Scale
caseymcq

I think I can find the spot. :-)

Or at least the lake pretty easily. grin.gif

Hi Steve.

At least the lake in one of the pics. LOL Nice to know they are still swimming and available for you and I to catch. Got to give these anglers alot of credit for releasing those big fish.

Nice trout - I haven't been on that lake for a few years but I see the fishing has only gotten better since then. 99% sure I know the lake and I have enough respect not to mention it here but drop me a line and let me guess.

Don't forget about downsizing your line to, that stuff is strong if you take care of it.

Hey Jim and Casey, nice to hear from you guys. I was wondering if you were going to recognize us. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you could figure out where it is Jim with all your fishing experience around here. If you guys want my number give Kenny or Jason a call, they would both give it to you, otherwise I'll probably see you this summer Casey or earlier, we might make a trip over to Ely for crappies after trout season closes. Wondering too if either of you have any info, or your wife Casey, about the Basswood Pike closure. I don't think Cory got a hold of anyone in Tower yet as he said he would on that post.

Luv2fishnhunt need contact info, I'll let you know if your right. Like I said earlier though, I don't necessarily think its the lake, rather putting in a lot of time on good laker structure.

MS-

Nice fish man!!! Glad to see the profession is paying off one way or another \:\) I got your email. No worries. Keep up the good work!!

Wirz

Nice work gang! Those are some dandys, glad to hear they are still swimming. Heck, I'm guessing those fish might be older than you guys. grin.gif Welcome to FM boys, like you said, a person's gotta put in the time to get into fish like that. Congrats!!

Oh, this dude likes a challenge. It took me less than 20 minutes to figure it out. But I'm a little more map and web savy than the average guy. whistle.gif I've never been there before, but I knew that landscape was hidden somewhere in my cranium. Just took me a little time to find it. Next time, move a tad more to your right before you snap a pic for all to see. ;\) Once again good job, I have a feeling we will be seeing more outstanding catches from you guys in the future, just a hunch. cool.gif

154842.jpg

Duffman, nice work hunting down that picture. The lake is no big secret and either is the fact that there are pigs in there.

Wirz, when are you gonna come up and try your hand at some lakers?

Might as well throw in a fishing report from today also. Went to a different lake than the one above and caught and released 3 lakers between 2 and 4 pounds give or take. One on a tip up with a live shiner and the other two on a slender spoon tipped with a shiner tail. Unfortunately no pics because it was just my dog and myself out today and hes terrible with a camera.

Cory

You wanna email the name of that lake fellas? One little old girl can't fish it out too bad, could she? blush.gifgrin.gif

Tulibee,

Nice fish, glad you're putting most of them back. I can only envy the time you get to patrol those lakes up there. Good luck and you have obviously put in your time and deserve those big guys,,,,,,

pickle

Lisa,

That wouldn't be any fun. The hunt and anticipation is half the fun. I'm sure if you have fished lakers before you have been on waters with potential to produce fish like these.

ditchpickle,

There is no shortage of time and effort that is put in.

Originally Posted By: Mimic Shiner
All three of these were caught in the state within 4 days of each other this season. In addition there were several more at 5 pounds and a couple of 10 pounders. All were released.

37 inches

>

37 inches

>

35 inches

>

We don't mean to gloat, but we wanted to show you don't necessarily need to go to Canada to get big lakers.

WOW!!! Never caught one close to that size on L Superior

Quote:
Lisa,

That wouldn't be any fun. The hunt and anticipation is half the fun. I'm sure if you have fished lakers before you have been on waters with potential to produce fish like these.

I agree with that in theory Tullibee. And as soon as I could get on that particular body of water the hunt and anticipation will take over full force and then I'm having fun! grin.gif

Mimic, I am curious how deep of water those fish came out of (roughly), and if you did release them back down were they agressive and took right off, or were they pretty sluggish to go? I know trout are a lot more tolerant of coming up out of deep water, but never having caught a giant like that I was curious as to how well they survive.

Good job, those are some really nice lakers!

I just want to thank you on the release. Those big fish were all over 20 ears old. Good job. Maybe you or somebody else will have the same enjoyment in catching them again.

laker1, welcome to HSO/FM. Great to have you here! grin.gif

That's a big reason I like to let the bigger ones go, too. When I get to the lake these pics came from, I'll know at least some fish are being put back and are waiting to give me my turn. grin.gifgrin.gif

When we released those fish they all took off no problem. We only had them out of the water long enough to snap a few pics and take a quick measurement, we had a scale but didn't take weights to avoid possible injury. They came out of 50 to 60 feet of water and for a laker that is no problem to tolerate. Often you can see when you get them up to the bottom of the ice they will be spitting out a lot of air equalizing their pressure. I would say those fish had absolutely no problems after we released them.

Good to hear, and congrats again, those are probably three of the biggest lakers I have ever seen!