• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who says you need to go to Canada for big lakers???

All three of these were caught in the state within 4 days of each other this season. In addition there were several more at 5 pounds and a couple of 10 pounders. All were released.

37 inches

>

37 inches

>

35 inches

>

We don't mean to gloat, but we wanted to show you don't necessarily need to go to Canada to get big lakers.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullibee

• warsh

• Steve Foss

• lakerslayer07

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nice lake trout!

Any story behind it without mentioning the lake.

That first pic looks familiar in the background. Any chance that it leads to narrows and to two boat landings? Just curious. Very nice fish. Junky.............

Yeah, it's up to you if you want to give up the name of the lake...but I'm guessing gunflint?

I'm pretty sure it's not Gunflint and I wouldn't expect anyone to give up a lake where you consistantly catch fish like that! Nice work!

I used to live in the Grand Marais area and fished lakers all the time in the winter. I know exactly where those fish were caught from the background. Nice job on those hawgs boys!

keep it to yourself, the hunt is half the fun. I'll be hunting for a point and big hill grin.gif.

Great fish! I noticed you said all caught in "the" state not "this" state.......In Canada, the states are called provences grin.gif

Awesome fish guys-Very nice!!!! Beauties!!!! Nice color too!!! They sure are fun to catch when they are that size!!! Don't tell anybody where you got them...keep it your secret!!!

Nice fish!

Justin

Originally Posted By: Catfishunter
I'll be hunting for a point and big hill grin.gif.

I wonder where you could find one of those in northern MN? grin.gif

just kidding ya Joel.

I can tell you this right now. It's a very good thing I don't live further North. Added to the Catfishing in the summer, I would be on the water 350 days a year.

How did I let this laker thing go under the radar so long?

Those are awesome fish and I am so jealous right now.

great fish gang! those rod bend'in heart pounders tell only part of the story. was there a hot bite time of day? perfered color? Keep the place a mystery like someone else said " the hunt is half the fun. "

Originally Posted By: Quickstrike
 Originally Posted By: Catfishunter
I'll be hunting for a point and big hill grin.gif.

I wonder where you could find one of those in northern MN? grin.gif

Thats what I was thinking! LOL!! grin.gif

Nice catch and thanks for posting the photos!

I'm with everybody else, no need to tell the where and why. Those are some beauties and I would be braggin' them up too! ;\)

Hey Mimc Shiner, I see this is your 3'rd post. Welcome to F/M! You sure know how to start things off with a bang ;\) Nice fish. BC

So Mimic Shiner where is the long story to go along with the pics??? I am the guy in the top picture so I can confirm these fish were caught and very quickly released in Minnesota. I will let Mimic Shiner give you the details on the story but I would like to add that we have the luxury of fishing nearly everyday and there is a lot of time spent not catching much. But thats fishing for ya. don't be too descriptive now Mimic

Cory

Like Tulibee said, we do have the luxury of spending a lot of time on the water which as far as laker fishing goes most of you know is probably the number one key to catch these things. As far as a story to go with, it's not all that exciting. Just got lucky on a couple of days. I will say we don't necessarily use traditional laker tactics all the time. Sometimes you need to downsize to more walleye sized lures with light line. Small spoons and pimples can give them a different look and at the same time doesn't discriminate against the smaller fish so you coincidently get more strikes which keeps your interest in the game. Time of day didn't seem to matter, they were caught in the afternoon but that is probably because more fishing hours have been spent at that time of day.

For those interested in the lake, the hunt truly is half the fun but some of you probably have already figured it out based on the pictures. We contemplated trying to remove some of the background but thought it would add to the suspense if we left as is. There are a lot of hills and points out there. Look at those lake maps and surveys. They don't tell the whole story but give you an idea. At the same time, I believe all these lakes in this area are more than capable of producing fish like this, you just have to keep after them.

Lastly please do use CPR or at least selective harvest, I don't want to belittle anyone here for keeping fish, they are delicious and a monster looks good on the wall, but I would say as a group of 4 people we have caught well over 100 lakers this year collectively, on several different lakes, with many small ones, and we have killed maybe 6. Those fish grow slow and are definitely more fun to fight than to eat.

Originally Posted By: Mimic Shiner
I will say we don't necessarily use traditional laker tactics all the time. Sometimes you need to downsize to more walleye sized lures with light line. Small spoons and pimples can give them a different look and at the same time doesn't discriminate against the smaller fish so you coincidently get more strikes which keeps your interest in the game.

That's been exactly my experience on Burntside.

Hey lakerslayer, welcome to FM. Great to see you here and joining in the conversation about the best fish through the ice ever. grin.gifgrin.gif

Tullibee, is that supposed to be a hint?

lakerslayer07, your name implies that you kill every laker you catch. is this true? Even if it is true its still not likely to put much of a dent in the population.