Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coach1310

Panfish lake???

3 posts in this topic

Good day all. I will be in the area on Friday morning and will have a few hours to do some fishing. What lakes in the area would be a decent place to start for some gills or crappies? I have fished Osakis in the past, but nothing really in the immediate Alex area. Am I better off trying the "hope they are biting" game on Osakis or trying another area lake. Thanks for any help!!

I am heading up to the area this weekend not looking for a lake just wondering what the ice conditions are for area lakes i would think that I should be able to drove my truck on.

They're driving on most of the lakes in the area, but if you don't see tracks & you don't know the lake, don't drive. Also note: If the tracks end in open water don't follow those either... I'd say the lakes I've been on in the area are mostly in the 20" range give or take.

Victoria, Geneva, Mary, Darling are all good panfish lakes, really most of the lakes in the area are. Smith between Osakis & Alex is pretty good as well. As you likely know the North end of Osakis is good too, but it gets absolutely pounded, so there's constant commotion. I avoid it once there are other options available.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Walleye #1
      Stick in the Mud   I do think sometimes that those fish see so many jigs and shiners that something such as a crawler or leech is a great change up and will get bites.  Also with the bug hatches that are happening, those are two great baits.       Leech Lake   Leech Lake Walleyes once again found themselves spread out and in different areas and related to different pieces of Leech Lake structure.  Shiners and Leeches seemed to be the bait of choice for those Leech Lake Walleyes, but plastics are still catching some fish.  Be sure to stop in at Full Stringer Bait and Tackle, Swansons Bait and Tackle, Tutts Bait and Tackle, or Sportland Bait and Tackle for all your bait and tackle needs.     West End The LOA Fishing Guides found much of their success on the West End of Leech Lake.  Focusing in on the flats around West Goose in depths of 7-10ft of water, as well as the wind blown points such as Duck, Big Hardwoods, Ottertail, Pine, and Bowmans.  Sucker Bay also proved to have a good wind driven bite throughout the weekend.   A Jig and Minnow was the best presentation by far, but in most instances instead of jigging it, dragging or swimming it along the bottom seemed to work best, but when the front came in on Sunday the Leech Lake Walleyes were snapping and aggressively jigging was provoking the bite.  When things slowed down, slowing down with a lindy rig and leech put fish in the boat as well.  Green cabbage once again was a key to finding active walleyes and jumbo perch in 5-8ft of water.  Pitching an 1/8th oz KenKatch jig with a shiner caught Leech Lake Jumbos, Walleyes, and pike.  Slip bobbers and leeches/shiners also have put fish in the boat being either fished in the weeds or windblown points.   East End/Main Lake On the Main Lake, the rocks still were producing a great bite as well as some of the East End points such as Battle, Sugar, and Five Mile when the strong Westerly winds were blowing.  Annex, Submarine, Pelican, and North Bar were all producing fish in 10-14ft of water. Lindy Rigs with leeches or shiners seemed to work best, but the biggest fish still seem to want a 1/8th or 1/4oz jig and shiner.  
      Leech Lake Crappie and Bluegill fishing still remains strong.  When the weather warms up for a couple days both species are moving onto their beds and are actively feeding.  Looking to Boy Bay, Millers Bay, Shingobee, and Steamboat for the best action in 3-6 feet of water.  Just remember to use selective harvest as these fish are more vulnerable.  
    • Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Hit Waconia Saturday morning for bass. Caught about 40 largemouth--most from 14 to 17 inches, with a few 17 and 18 inchers--and several nice pike. Fish were in cabbage out from bedding areas, in about 6 to 9 feet of water. Fish were scattered, lying in the weeds looking up for sunfish that are staging in these areas preparing to move in and bed. With this situation, we buzzed spinnerbaits and weedless spoons over and through the tops of the weeds, and the bass aggressively came up on them, as well as some pike. Had one lazy muskie follow as well. Got good footage for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Added footage of a couple smallies from out in the Hutch area Saturday evening. The bass fishing will continue to get better as the water warms, with more big ones, and the sunfish bedding bite is probably only a week or less away. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.    
    • Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Out on Washington Saturday afternoon and evening after hitting Waconia for bass Saturday morning. Caught largemouth, smallmouth, and pike. Added footage of a couple smallies to the largemouth and pike footage from Waconia for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Caught the bass and pike on Washington in four to seven feet of water, out from bedding areas, on spinnerbaits, Rippin' Raps, and Shadow Raps. Up on Mille Lacs this coming weekend for a walleye tournament, then will be back out in the Hutch area the next weekend guiding. We were targeting bass this weekend, but got a tip that walleyes are biting on a couple Hutch area lakes on live bait. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Geez Terry! Now you will be telling me that walleyes are only good muskie bait! Cliff
    • JeremyCampbell
      Nice report Cret Musta been a thrill getting that 9.75 Gill.  
    • JeremyCampbell
      Wow dude lol Sup Moose how you been?
    • guideman
      Vermilion has excellent fishing for both bass species   The east end has the best Smallmouth action and the west end has the best Largemouth action, however you can catch either on both sides of the lake.  For Smallmouth, rocks, docks, points, saddles, reeds, wood and the shoreline rubble are all very productive. Most of the green bass are found in or near the slop and the west end has the best of what they like the most. Spinnerbaits, any color as long as it's white, stick baits, cranks, topwaters, jigs, swim baits and soft plastics all work for Smallies. Jigs, topwaters(Frogs) plastics and a host of other stuff will catch the green bass. Have a great time, the midweek traffic is very minimal.   "Ace"   "It's just fishing man"
    • guideman
      Bla bla bla, all this Walleye talk is boring me to death.   The real opening day is this Saturday when the Muskie opener comes to Minnesota and the Big V.  I'll be out fishing with my son and grandson searching for some real fish.   The weather looks great, my baits are all sharpened and the new line is on all my rigs. Bucktails, Glittertails, spinnerbaits and minnow style cranks will make up most of our arsenal, however we will also be tossing a few topwaters looking for those Big green girls and not even talking about Walleye fishing.   Have a great weekend everybody!   "Ace" "It's just fishing man"
    • monstermoose78
    • flagislanddan
      5/29/17 Fishing report from Flag Island Resort NW Angle, Lake of the Woods   Happy Memorial Day!   The past week has brought some variation in weather including sunshine, wind and rain. Overall fishing has been good.  The bug hatches have started with the fish flies having some impact on the fishing but, anglers are still consistently getting limits.   On the Minnesota side, the walleye, sauger, pike and perch bite continues. The magic depths have been between 7-13 feet in the mud and 16-26 feet on rocks. The Flag Island Flats are starting to heat up. Other hot locations include points and near shore reefs. Just the same as last week all tactics have had their day. Jigging, raps and spinners have all been producing once you find what is working. The water temp is around 58 degrees.   Over in Ontario anglers are still catching a nice mixed bag of walleye, sauger, crappie, perch, pike and smallmouth bass. The crappies are moving shallower getting ready to spawn. Some depths according to their species are as follows; Smallmouth bass 2-8 feet, Walleyes 20-24 feet and Sauger 26-30 feet. Points, reefs, humps, areas with current, rock piles and inside turns have all worked when looking for locations. A jig or spinner with a minnow or crawler has worked best. The hot colors have been gold, pink and orange.   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides, Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011