• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Original Sturgeon Excursion - April 19, 2008

Originally Posted By: marine_man
I don't know if sturgeon will bite if it's from a line on a sparkly boat grin.gif

marine_man

Nope, they will. I've caught my fair share from a Ranger grin.gif

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• harvey lee

• crazyice

• Tyler Holm

so that wouldnt be the problem, just have to make up my mind if i want to go or not. Sounds like a great time, just have to find out about work.

I was told when I first started if a person caught 4-5 fish a day per person consider that a good day. Last year was a good bite but all April is usually a good bite. I am sure I will get sturgeon the following weekend when I am up there I am not too worried about that. Heck maybe it will be better you just never know.

well, i was looking over the work stuff, and im not going to be able to make it up there. Hope you guys have a good time, and maybe next year ill be able to hook up with you guys.

Where about do we fish at for this event? Do we launch our boats that morning? I assume the resorts slips are not open yet. What happens if the river doesnt open up?

Sorry for the newbie questions.. but I'm curious.

The Rainy river or the gap into lake of the Woods depending on ice conditions. Last year for the first day, the river was partailly froze and we went downstream a ways for very good fishing. The year before one could go about anywhere.

Yes, I landed my boat in the morning and pulled it out at the end of the day. One year, some boats were docked at the docks as the rssort had their docks in.

All depends on the ice and when it goes out.

I dont know if one can say for sure that the ice will be all out as who knows what the weather is going to do. I'm hoping for an early ice out.

The docks stay in all year up there so as soon as the ice is off the public access at Wheeler's Pt, you'll be able to make it upstream from there to wherever you want to go.

If the ice is late coming off which very well might be the case, everyone will be trailering upstream to Baudette or even up to Clementson.

Should start hearing some chatter from the river walleye anglers pretty soon so you'll know whats open and what isn't.

Sure wish I could make it this year. Oh well...

If anyone is looking for a fairly cheap rod(s) for the Sturgeon Excursion weekend, check out my post in the For Sale Forum. Gotta few rods for sale that will fit the bill very nicely!

Has anyone ever eaten sturgeon? A Co-worker, from Romania said 'it's the best fish you have ever eaten.'

Couple other quesions..

What kind of hooks should I get?

I've only got a standard sized net, should I find a large net?

Thanks again!

BTW, I had a dream last night about fishing for Sturgeon. I ended up hooking into one that took so long to reel in, I woke up before seeing the fish. \:\)

I’ve heard everything about eating them.

From the best, to the worst.

I’m sure preparation has a lot to do with it.

Just remember, during this GTG it is catch and release only so at least for that weekend we won’t have to worry about it. ;\)

My father-in-law out west sent me some sturgeon that he caught. It's a thick, heavy meat....fills you up fast. If I were to compare it with the taste of another fish, my taste buds tell me it's much like halibut.

Yum yum very good smoked, like a ham! Have had steaks broiled and grilled as well, hmmmm so-so, a tad greasy maybe for my liking.

As dtro mentions preperation is key....Don't severe their 'mudvein' as that for sure taints the entire Sturgeonfish.

fiskyknut

They are very good as stated though they are a really dense meat. Not sure on the comparision though the ones i have caught came out of the columbia in WA. I'm really intrested in trying out sturgeon fishing in MN if anyone has an open seat, left my boat in WA. I could help out on some of the knowledge of sturgeon fishing and have extras of much of the tackle.

Thanks alot.

Brian.

Quote:
came out of the columbia in WA

That's where my father-in-law was at and that's where I got my sample from. \:\)

Kylersk,

3/0-5/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks work great.

A big net is nice to have, but not a necessity. You can usually grab them near the tail if need be.

We're rounding the last turn and coming into the home stretch. Just a short month away and we'll all be sharing stories of GIANTS.

Getting really antsy right now. Watching some open water videos, and talking alot about open water. This will be the first real open water trip this year, so it can't come soon enough.

Agreed. I have went eye fishing on the sippi a few times and also hooked up with one sturgeon and now, I want more and the sooner the better.

Was down by the airport by Baudette yesterday and got a 34 inch sturgeon. Cant wait to fish for them when open water is here.

Anyone catching any CRAWLERS yet?? I think I heard some trying to pick axe their way through the frost. hehe... Buying them again this year!!

The past two years I was able to pick about a hundred each year, but I still buy a flat. No crawlers in Roch yet.

It sure does appear that we might want to start doing a Sun dance pretty soon.

Sounds like the open water has made its way to the Birchdale landing (correct me if wrong).

Looks like the same deal as last year, pretty much the same progress too.

Last year, showed me one thing though. It’s best not too even worry and just let Mother Nature do her thing.

There will be a place to fish....somewhere ;\)

Still would be nice to dock the boat at the resort.

From the archives, It looks like we are 1-2 days ahead of last year with the open water at Brichdale.

It's got a long ways to go yet, but it can open several miles a day when the weather is right. We need that too because its got over 30 miles left to get to LOTW.

I'm just hoping to have it open to Clementson by the 17th. I'm pretty sure it was open to Baudette last year by then so we should be good.

This year I will be staying at the Sportsmans lodge but I wish all you great luck like we had last year. Hope to see you on the river. Tyler, Hanson, Dtro, Papa gump, I hope you all have a good weekend up there.