• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Original Sturgeon Excursion - April 19, 2008

Every year we go through this, but man it's been cold this winter. Lots of ice to breakup up north in the next 8 weeks.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• harvey lee

• crazyice

• Tyler Holm

I'm not sure how thick the ice is on LOW as I haven't been up there this year but URL's ice is nearly 1' behind in thickness IMO. I was finding a touch over 24" or so when we are normally looking at 36". Too much snow for the ice to form but that snow will also have to be melted off for the ice to break up as well.

The river will be open again.

Originally Posted By: hanson
I was finding a touch over 24" or so when we are normally looking at 36".

If you want 36", go to Cool Cats! blush.gif

The river will be open again.

I know, but I hope we don't have to drive to Int Falls.

Awe, I'm sure it will be fine. I had every bit as much fun in the river as in the bay.

Ice is always a concern but it is really way to early to already be talking about it as a concern. It most likely will be just fine.

I would LOVE to take part but no boat. Any one have an open seat for the weekend wouold love to try fighting something like that. person largest is 56in from lake st.croix a few years back. shoot me an email [email protected]

FearNoFish- I am sure that someone will have a spot. I know that the boat I am in is booked full, but I have heard that others usually offer up spots.

Man am I ready to fish some sturgeon again. Last year was a blast and this year will be too. We are booked up for twelve this year a couple more than last year. Its a great time last year we boated like 75 in a day and a half with 2 running that 60" range man I cant wait.

Last year was a blast, no doubt. da_chise31 really put the torque to the fish he got. 55"er in the boat in 15 minutes! doh!

You all have fun up there! I know I cashed in a lot of my fun the first night. blush.gifeek.gifsick.gifgrin.gif

50 days and counting!! tic toc tic toc

This time will fly by with all the different spring activities that will lead up to this event.

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum
Yeah, I was thinking about placing an order for a few things that I need before the trip.

Then I watched da_chise31's video.

Time to go make that order.

Can't wait for the fun!!!

You can now purchase your no-roll sinker for river fishing here.

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/catfish-sturgeon-tackle.html

This is just a theory and I could very well be way off the chart on this one.

I think no rolls might have an advantage when it comes to Sturgeon. The more you can keep your bait in place the easier it will be for that whisker fish to find it and pick it up. Short leader with no roll should help with that.

I know in deeper water, the no roll will act like a sail and twist a bit on the way down, but if you keep a tight line on it as it goes down it's usually not a big deal.

For all I know, maybe it doesn't matter, but just my theory. Can't hurt to pick a few up and try.

Darren, that is right about them twisting in deeper water, I have learned that the hard way. After casting out to deep water and just letting it settle down, only later to pull it up in a tangled mess, where if you kind of float it down with a tight line like you said will eliminate most of this.

Hey guys, I got a couple of questions (o.k maybe quite a few) for you on this sturgeon thing,

I've never fished them before and have contemplated the trip for the past couple of years, plus it sounds like you guys certainly have fun up there.

From what I've read is that your fishing the Rainy, are you guys able to run large boats by this time generally? years past I've gone up for the spring eyes and we've only been able to take the 14 footers due to having to push them out from the ice buildup on shore,

Out of curiosity what can an average angler anticipate for numbers per day? I understand there are numerous factors involved, but on an average year, are you guys boating a few fish per boat per day or is the action a little faster or slower?

I wouldn't anticipate that the action is anything overly fast, but am curious as to the overall odds of actually catching one or two.

What would a guy need for tackle, am I going to have to fill another tackle box with jigs, rigs etc.

What about rods? I've got a couple muskie rigs that I think would work, as well as some lake trout setups,heavy rods but shorter, but nothing in regards to catfish or sturgeon.

What type of line do you run? Or should I say are the sturgeon sensitive to various line types? What test pound would be sufficient?

How are these things actually fished, drifting, anchoring,trolling,etc

Last but not least, various baits that are used? Live, artificials or homemades of some sort?

I know that's alot of questions, but any input would be appreciated before I evolve myself into another style of fishing?

It certainly sounds like alot fun, and definately has my curiosity. Thanks for the info

Big boats, yes. You might have to launch upstream a ways, but we were fine last year.

Last year, with 3 in the boat, we averaged around 20 per day (I wrote them all down).

Tackle box - heavy-duty barrel swivels, no-roll or bank sinkers (2-4 ounce), and some 2/0-5/0 circle hooks.

Muskie rods will work, but it helps to have a rod with a light tip for bite detection.

Line type doesn't matter to fish. Superlines I would go 50-80 lb. As for mono, 20 or 25 lb works great.

Two anchors are helpful Let your bait sit on the bottom and wait. The more stationary your bait and boat, the better.

A couple nightcrawlers on your hook is probably your best bet.

As for the rig, it's your basic slip-sinker rig. Put your sinker on the main line, tie on your swivel, and have a 6-12" leader (same as your main line) to your hook.

That's as complicated as it is.

Good luck! You'll be hooked.

I didn't make the trip last year, and only got in on the sturgeon action on the St. Croix. After a nearly 70 fish day on that river I was definately hooked, I am eagerly waiting for this weekend to come up! As Ralph said, it is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. I think that the most important thing though that I learned from my experience is a sensitive rod. Sturgeon are notoriously light bitters, in all those @70 fish we caught I don't remember a single one making a "screaming run". They actually feel more like a bluegill bite than a big fish. Now imagine trying to feel that bite with a musky rod?

You'll have a great time Crazyice at the Sturgeon Excursion. I would totally agree on a rod with a light or fast tip. I have had sunfish hit harder than those sturgeon creatures.

Ralph hit the nail on the head as far as the simple set up for these fish and as many will state, a rod with a sensitive tip will really help. Doesnt hurt to have a reel with a clicker either as you wont always have to watch your rod tip.

I was afraid the answers were going to be like that, lol looks like I better inform the other guys, lol. This site just seems to keep amazing me, post a question, Wait a few minutes and walla, Thanks for the info, my guess is I'll be there, given one or two more o.ks from pending friends. Might have to look over the rod selection. Maybe the crankbait rods I use for pulling boards will be better suited. Thanks for the info

If you might be interested in a less expensive rod that would work very well,check out the King Kat line at Cabelas for around $25.00. I have caught sturgeon up to 55" with this rod and it will also handle those larger Flatheads on the Minnesota if you catfish.

Well that solves that dilema, I was thinking another rod, $200. that's going to be getting expensive, but at $25 bucks, I think that will work, I know I have plenty of reels to handle these guys, although I've never been able to walk in there and buy just a simple twenty five dollar rod,

As far as numbers of fish go? It is really hard to say. I think alot of the folks who made it up last year don't realize how special the bite was that weekend. Is a repeat in order... hard to say. It seamed like every boat that was up last year caught a couple fish around 60", just phenomenal fishing and great stories to be told later in the day. I also know some folks who went up a week later and got totally skunked, they knew what they were doing to.

Considering how light biting these fish are, the one thing that will really hamper your fish catching ability is waves and wind. When you have a hard time maintaining bait contact with the bottom and having your bait moved around, its much harder for the sturgeon to pick it up and for you to detect the bite.

You don't really need an expensive rod unless you want to. Inexpensive catfish rods have the right amount of sensitivity and power to catch these fish. As mentioned earlier, Cabelas King Kat rod is decent and also check out Ugly Stick's Catfish (UglyCat) rod as well. I prefer 8' MH.

I'm sorry to say guys but I won't be able to make it this year but have fun!

Originally Posted By: Bigeye30"
I've never been able to walk in there and buy just a simple twenty five dollar rod,

ain't that the truth. \:\)

If you look at my action shot up toward the beginning of the post, that rod is a King Kat rod. Great value rod.

The bite up there can be hit or miss. Every time I've been up, we've always managed to find some fish. Last year was phenomenal and I would classify it as above average.

In my opinion, if you have three guys in the boat and fish for 8 hours, I would consider it a big success to catch 16 fish. That's 2 fish per hour. I think the average is probably lower than that. Sometimes you will have to wait a few hours for a bite. The great part is that at any time, that bite you wait for could be a fish in excess of 100lbs!

To me though really the fishing is just a bonus. It is so much fun meeting everyone and especially hearing stories of people catching their first Sturgeon.

Hanson, you beat me again.

How many time's are we posting the same thing at the same time?

man, after reading this, im might have to go out and get some rods, and hook up the boat and make a trip up there.

I have never done it before, but would love to get out there and try it with everyone.

How many boats are going up, and is there room for another boat?

Always room for another boat. Hard to tell how many will be there but it should be a big turnout. I would call a resort and get your room first and then just wait for the time to go.

im really going to have to think about this and see if i can make it work. Thanks for the information guys.

I don't know if sturgeon will bite if it's from a line on a sparkly boat grin.gif

marine_man

I'm sorry to say guys but I won't be able to make it this year but have fun!

Bummer dude, It's always good to run into you up there. Won't be the same without you.