• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lac Lavon

Cody Lubeley

i heard that there was rainbow trout in this lake years ago and i was wandering if there was any still in ther

Trout were stocked for many years then the stocking was discontinued due to "lack of angler interest" in 2000. So if there's still trout they would be good sized.

Here is some additional info Lac Lavon

ok thank you i think might jsut try it once this weekend to see what all it has to offer

Quote:
Anyone ever iced a tullibee out there?

I would like to. I've only pulled pike, gills, crappie and perch through the ice there. Haven't been out there this year either.

where is the access for this lake? It is right down the street from me and I've been thinking about hitting it up.

On the Apple Valley side off of 42 i think. Its on the north side of the lake. Make sure you go to the Apple Valley side and not the Burnsville side (Side with the softball fields). I guess theres springs or some sort of current over there that prevents thick ice from forming. Last year there was open water on that side.

there is two accesses you can walk in from there is one off of gardenview, you can also walk in from the beach which is right down the street from the crystal lake beach if you know where that is

Not enough angler interest in a Metro trout lake? There's a shock. It seems like the trout waters of the metro are the most heavily pressured waters in the entire state.

Years ago when I fished the lake a few times the ice was solid all across the lake. Yet I would not recommend driving on it. The south side is where everyone used to focus their search for trout. Personally I never had much luck out there.

Well i've only been out there once. But i took the advice of people who are out there often and stayed off the Burnsville side. They said the ice isnt always good over there. and from the maps i've seen, all the good structure and fun stuff is on the AV side.

I fished it before, I got on the lake on the North side. I parked in the parking lot their and went down the hill to the lake. I started looking with my locator in about 15' to 20' o/w and was marking fish suspended to about 15' off the bottom so I tried to catch them, I jigged and jigged but the marks didn't move and I didn't catch any fish, I got stuck on something and broke my line. I had my camera with so I put her down and found this huge steel bard cage like the ones in the olden days they used to haul bad guys around in behind horses it was kinda cool but no fish were hanging around. I did catch crappies over by the 32' hole in about 15'-20' o/w and the were pretty nice size just not alot of them...good luck!..WM

it used to be an old mining pit and it filled up with water and they didnt get all of the machines out, atleast thast what ive hear if its true thast prolly what that metal cage you saw was.

Man, you guys got me all excited that I had a trout lake close to my house, so I went there on Sunday morning and found out the water here looks like someone dumped a bunch of flour and milk in the water!!! You can't even use a camera here unless you are in 10 feet of water or less. Are you guys sure there are trout in here??? Doesn't seem like a trout water with how murky the water is. We did catch a bunch of gills when we moved shallow, but they were all 4 inches mad.gif I don't think I can bring myself to go back. I think I will stick to Square lake and make the longer drive.

GoggleEye

definetly and old pit. Says it right on the DNR website i believe. They replaced the trout stocking with smallies.

i wonder why i sure would rather have rainbows in there than smallies, two years after they stocked it something like 8 yearts ago i think my dad was tellin me he caught his limit two weekends in a row with all 14 inch fish wish it was still like that

Would be nice...I wouldn't mind finding the smallies either, though.

I wonder if the LM Bass gobble up the rainbows like they do in California lakes. Maybe we can grow some 15 pounders here in the Northland!

Read something years back about how trout are loaded with oils which act as growth hormones. I was told thats why Northerns in areas of high trout populations get huge fast. They said thats why Holland Lake had some monster pike for awhile before they got fished out.

Quetico, you're exactly right. As for Lac, it's always been said to have some nice crappies in it, but I only fish it as a bass lake in the summer.

same for me i have only gone for northern and bass during the summer but hvae only seemed to have luck for bass all the northerns have all been less than twenty inches has anyone ever caught a northern of decent size on this lake?

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by a freind of mine in the DNR that someone speared a 22lb. northern out of there some 10 or 12 years ago. We caught a bunch of trout off the fishing pier there around that time period during the summer. I havent fished there in years though.

my dad has been telling me the same story about the trout he said ice fishing he would catch 25-35 a day about 10 years ago(he said he released them all)

there are for sure no trout in there i mean i fish that lake day in and day out and what happend with the trout is that the northerns ate all of the trout and the dnr stocked cisco in there and there is not cisco left in the lake from all the little northerns in the lake and i no from guys who been going down there for many years

yeah i wouldnt doubt it, i havent gotten out there on hard water this year but i do a lot of northenr fishing in a canoe during the summer and i have yet to see a northern bigger than 5LBs

haha oh thanks for tellin me lol welcome to FM we need to get back out on orchard sometime soon