Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the Beav

propane lights

8 posts in this topic

I need to replace and add some propane lights in my perm. fish house. Is one brand better than the other, and who sells them for a reasonable price?

fleet farm is where to go IMO

the lights run about $40 to $60.the mantles fir these r $7.i found mine at a hardware store in grandrapids. but i just use the string from now on.but you can that peice so you can use the string type mantles

Why don't you wire it for 12 volt? Up at the deer shack we put in #14 wire just like you would in your house - switch and everything. A ceramic screw in light fixture and a 12 volt bult (at any auto parts store) and you're good to go. No noise, less heat, no CO.

It is wired for 12 volt as well as 120. 12 volt lights and alarms in each hole(6) and a 12 volt wall and ceiling light. All run off deep cycle batt. Running 12 volt lights for an all night cribbage game draws to much juice out of batt. Don't want to bring more than 1 battery back and forth. Propane lights are always there and working(2-100lb tanks). They are close to 30 yrs old(3rd generation fish house) and I was thinking of replacing with todays model. We are going to add 4 ft to house this summer, will be fixing and repairing many things at that time. Probably go fluorescent on light replacement, i think they draw less than 12 volt bulb.Main source of light will still be propane, I tend to stay "old school".

If your replacing the lights go with LED. You be able to play card for days probably with plenty of light. For the propane ones, have you tried cleaning the current lights or the lines. Sometimes condensation can decrease the gas flow. My friend's cabin used propane lights and they were 50 years old when he remodeled. I cleaned the lines by them once and they worked much better.

Buy some LED lights and you could run most of the winter on them off a battery if you don't run anything else with them.

A good line cleaning is something i was thinking of also. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet.