Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tagstew

could use some help

11 posts in this topic

anyone having any luck catching walleyes any help would be appreciated if not i'll still be out drowning minnows this weekend

I think the bite is slowing down from all the reports I have heard. This is also the time of year the the walleye bite practically comes to a stand still. The windows of opportunity really begin to shrink, like a 15 minute window, until things start wraming up again near breakup. I'm sure there are localized areas that the bite is still going on, but I was just making a generalization.

good luck!

Yeah the only people that are catching any are the ones that move a lot. We've picked up a few, but we usually catch them when we move to a new spot. My bro moved the house on Sunday and on Sunday evening he caught 3 and on monday morning he caught 4. But than again some spots we get skunked. The lake we fish get's to I think 28 feet or so and we've picked them and the crappies up in 18 fow. Definitely the slow time of year like Dead said though.

thanks leech i'll try to run n gun this weekend do u downsize ur bait or doesnt it matter

Honestly I think it does matter, we haven't caught anything on the tipups with decent shiners, or suckers. We've been catching them on smaller chubs or even crappie minnows on our rods in the fishhouse. With the run and gun thing, we don't really move too much we drill drill drill and find some decent NEW structure and we fish it. If it doesn't pan out we'll try a new spot the next evening. Definitely and evening bite so we stay put when prime time comes rolling in.

This is the time of year to head to LOTW if you have a free weekend. Don't bother with the maybe-one-fish-a-night junk.

Originally Posted By: gonefishin11
This is the time of year to head to LOTW if you have a free weekend. Don't bother with the maybe-one-fish-a-night junk.

from what I've heard LOW has been deader than a doornail this past month.

Not true on LOW -- talked to a father-son team that caught 58 eyes on Saturday.

Gosh that would be fun!!!!

well maybe it's turning around; I haven't heard any reports since last week. good deal.

LOTW has been terrible for us this year, and for everyone Ive talked to, headin up in two weeks again. Hope for a turn around. Weve move a few times as well Deep and shallow

I'm headed to LOTW this weekend, I'll post next week. The fish are there, you have to go out quite a long way is what I am hearing... maybe I'll need a passport!! grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Jim Almquist
      I have OR 18s on the front and OR16s on the back and it works just fine. I have never had a board get off which is what you want on Superior. I use a mix of Offshore and Opti Tackle boards.
    • kayakfisherman
      Hi guys!  I used to be on this site long ago (participating mostly in the Mille Lacs forum), and the system wouldn't recognize my email.  So I created a new user name.   I'm planning to spend May and June in Ely.  My project is to autochart and create maps of a few small lakes I like off the Echo Trail, which I'll do via my Helix I have mounted on my bright orange fishing kayak.   I don't need any advice, as I pretty much know the area and what works to catch fish.  I'm just looking to possibly connect with other Ely anglers while I'm up there.  I'm tentatively planning on starting next week, assuming the "wintery mix" and wind in the forecast abates.  I'll be paddling around a bunch of different small lakes, going back and forth and back and forth, listening to either WELY or WEVE on my radio.  So if you see me, stop by and say hey.
    • huntnfish
      First off, welcome to the site. The Red River page gets kind of quiet but if you look back at previous posts there's a lot of good info. I've never fished much for cats but when I have I have always used cut up goldeye. I've also heard frogs are good but I have no first hand experience with that.    1- I feel that the fishery in Fargo is excellent and overlooked by a lot of people. The biggest eyes that I've caught have been on the river.  2,3- I normally use a chartreuse twister tail on the river with a jig head. The main reason for the color choice is because that is what I have an abundance of. I've caught them on white and yellow also. I don't use live bait at all unless the kids are along. They're not really able to do much pitch and retrieve yet and the minnows give them a little better chance I feel.  4- the only thing I've used is cut bait so I'd recommend finding some gold eyes or some suckers and chunk them up for bait.  5- last time I looked the ND NR license was something like $35.    My biggest tip for the river and pitching jigs would be that if you aren't getting snagged once in a while your jig is too light. Hung up too often and you are too heavy. I'm normally in the 1/8-1/4 ounce range. I have also caught a bunch of fish pitching cranks. I wasn't a believer until I watched Ed Carlson fish next to me and reel in fish while I kept on pitching my jig and not getting anything. Try something that's got a nice wide wobble. And if you are going to toss anything into the river be sure to remember that anything thats tied onto that line may not come back. I have donated lots of tackle to the old river gods over the years but I have also been rewarded with a lot of fish and some real dandies. These river fish have a lot of fight in them.     Remember that if you're keeping any walleyes or sauger on the red is that the limit is less than the MN and ND bag limit. I have seen more than one person ticketed at the north dam with their stringer of 4 eyes.     
    • eyeguy 54
      Hit the secret beach on the sippi for a couple hours today with some crawlers. wind was pretty crazy. smally bit first then a sucker. then the eyes moved in and I decided to leave. a young guy came down while I was fishing and was casting a spinnerbait and I asked him what he was after. he said bass so I let him know that it is illegal to target them and eyes till next month and that the game warden watches people in the area quite often. He said he had no idea he could not fish for them, thanked me and said he wont cast anymore. nice young guy. I bet he will be down again with some crawlers. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I've seen a lot of people dragging raps for "crappies" before the opener