Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MinnetonkaMan

North Long Help

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I was just curious of what depths people are fishig walleyes in and if crappies are bitting and what depths they are in. We fish it a ton in the summer and do really good on walleyes and sunfish but this is the first time I am bringing up the ice castle perm to try it for a friday and saturday night. Im not looking for spots because we have some of are favorite late fall spots on our gps but I just want to no some depths. When i arrive back I will let a line about how the fishin was thanks for all your comments ahead of time! Minnetonkaman

Hi Minnetonka, the fishing on North Long has been a little hit or miss this winter. For the walleyes I would concentrate on fishing 18-28 feet with shiners. Shiners have been the ticket over the last 2-3 weeks. I have heard much lately on crappies from N. Long, maybe someone else here has some crappie info. Good luck!

Jason Erlandson

No crappies for me but I have been doing OK on the walleye in 26-27ft. I have been using fatheads. Somedays they seem to like the set-line better than the jig. Glow green demon or plain red hook have seemed to work equally well. I have been using a glow red jigging spoon for a jig. Sometimes they look at the jig, then I give my set-line a little tug and wham! The fish I have been catching are not the biggest, lots of 10-12 inchers but they are fun. Prime time is running just before 5PM until just befor 6PM. I did catch some fish earlier in the day out a little deeper, 37ft. Maybe a guy could do well all day starting deep and moving shallower as the evening goes.

Thanks for the replies but I forgot to ask if there is any plowed roads or if you can drive any where close to breaks . I have a 4 wheel drive chevy crew cab that I pull my fishhouse out with. If SB or late night knows it would be greatly appreciated.

All of our lakes are in great shape. You should be able to drive where you want to, we hardly have any snow on the lakes. Just watch for heaves, there haven't been many this year but you never know.

Jason Erlandson