Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

bunk trailer to rollers....

7 posts in this topic

I realize we are in the middle of winter here, but this brutal cold snap has me thinking about open water!!!

I have an old trailer for my old 16' Lowe boat. Have really struggled with my bunks last year...just can't seem to get my boat onto the trailer without alot of arm work. I know ir shouldn't be that hard to get the boat up there. I even bought new hardware anf wood, and adjusted things several times but still the same problem.

So now I am thinking about the cost of buying the hardware to turn my trailer over to rollers. I don't necessarily need to have brand new equipment, used will do as long as all parts are in working order. Any idea on where I can purchase needed parts, and how much it would cost? I live here in the TC metro area.

Thanks!

Hey Calvinist,

Ooops, I see you listed your boat type/size. I can't think that that should be hard on arms for its size. Any chance you might have it very bow heavy for some reason? That might make it a bit harder.

My first thought is that you might have the hitch ball either too high or too low, or not not backing in far enough, or a combo of both.

Also, one thing that helps when picking up boat, is to back the trailer in farther than needed, so the bunks get wet, then pull out to the correct depth. Boats slide a lot easier on bunks when they are wet.

Possibly you tried these things already, but if not a good thing to try before $pending dollar$ \:\)

Good luck,

Use the boat to push itself onto the trailer. Turn on and go forward...this should take some of the arm work out of it as the boat will drive into place. Seems to work for me my bunks. 20 foot skeeter so not terribly light.

Thanks for the input. I think I will try to solve the problem before buying rollers. Heck, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out!

Yea - I've had straps break for me trying to man it onto the trailer but now using the boat to do the work really seems to help. Makes everything go faster when working on a busy launch.

I think the easy roller trailers are setup differant any way, the center cross brackets are dropped down lower so the boat will glide into the rollers, so I think you would need to get a whole new trailer if you want to go with rollers. just my thoughts and I may be wrong.

you can buy bunk rollers that bolt on in place of the carpeted wood but I would try to learn how to land and unload with what you have because it is a far better and faster system. I have a 1750 fish hawk and would never go back to a roller trailer again.