Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
PDOGG

Help on local lakes.

PDOGG    0
PDOGG

Hey guys I am staying at the in-laws family cabin near Sheriff Lake this week for my Birthday. There will be a few of us including some younger cousin's of my wife. I was just wondering if someone could help me out in finding a decent bite. I have fished Sheriff before with little success. Don't really care what we catch just enough to keep everyone interested. Thanks in advance for any help.

farmfishing    0
farmfishing

Sheriff has nice crappies find the deep hole. Lots of other lakes are doing good in the area. Big sandy has been a fair bite for eyes perch and crappies floe island or billhorn bay would be a good place to try. Look around this forum there is lots of info that will help you out also. Good luck.

CB34    0
CB34

PDOGG, I can help you out if you are willing to travel west aways for a day trip. I am probably the only person who knows exactly where you cought that 10lb walleye one your wall.

CB34

PDOGG    0
PDOGG

Let me know when and where. pdogg56001@yahoo.com

UdeLakeTom    0
UdeLakeTom

I didn't know anybody knew about Sheriff lake.

PDOGG    0
PDOGG

Originally Posted By: CB34
I am probably the only person who knows exactly where you cought that 10lb walleye one your wall.

CB34

Yeah but do you know what I was using ?

CB34    0
CB34

Back then I bet it was no fancier than a jig with a nightcrawler. I will send you an email.

PDOGG    0
PDOGG

Originally Posted By: CB34
Back then I bet it was no fancier than a jig with a nightcrawler.

And I think we even made the jigs.

knoppers    49
knoppers

Originally Posted By: farmfishing
Sheriff has nice crappies find the deep hole. Lots of other lakes are doing good in the area. Big sandy has been a fair bite for eyes perch and crappies floe island or billhorn bay would be a good place to try. Look around this forum there is lots of info that will help you out also. Good luck.

there is only one deep hole, and thats the center

knoppers    49
knoppers

Originally Posted By: Ude Lake Tom
I didn't know anybody knew about Sheriff lake.

I only fish it in the summer, if I can get my boat in.

farmfishing    0
farmfishing

I only fish up there when no one is looking.

palisade1kid    0
palisade1kid

Sherriff....you bet.

I try to stay out of there so the rest of you guys can go there.

Same thing with Aitkin or Strawberry,Stary,Crisco and Wesson.

Hooliganz    0
Hooliganz

any info about Blind?

palisade1kid    0
palisade1kid

Blind got fished out a few years ago,thanks to a certain outdoor newspaper.Plenty CC's to catch.

Blind is a small lake and could not handle the daily beating it took.

polarsusd81    0
polarsusd81

Unfortunately, that is the lake my grandma's cabin is on. Not anything like what it once was, and it gets winter kills during years like we have right now as well.

palisade1kid    0
palisade1kid

I also have a good friend built a new log house on the lake he did only to have dinks to fish yippee.

Coach1310    1
Coach1310

It's definitely not what it was. I used to love that lake. Too much pressure now.

palisade1kid    0
palisade1kid

I'm looking at a new method of grinding up dinkerdoos to make patties or maybe smoke em.

The more I see what's going on the more I hate to give out info on smaller lakes that will get killed.Blind is one of those very small lakes.

We have got a lake north of town that the locals killed about 10 years ago.

Nothing but dinks as far as the crappies go.Gills on the other hand is a different story.OOOOOOOppps sssshush! icksnay on the ooompfay.

fishhawk1750    0
fishhawk1750

Crappie, any luck on little round?

maddowg1192000    0
maddowg1192000

Had some good luck out on the lake today. My brother and I took home our limits of crappies( a few small but most around 10in). The biggest was 13in. We caught around 60 from 930 to 300 and missed around 20 or 30. It was a great day and thanks to CK I was able to catch a few on hair jigs thanks for some tips. Don't think i want to clean fish for awhile(got to clean them all). Might go out and do some C&R on sunday or try to pick up some eyes and northerns to finish the season.

palisade1kid    0
palisade1kid

I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you Maddowg.Sorry I missed you thurs.I'm hoping we can still hook up .Call me.

UncleKes    0
UncleKes

My grandmother used to grind small northerns and make fish patties with them. I don't see why you could not do the same with any fish though if you had enough of them and they would die anyway if released.

She would fillet them out and place the fillet is a large pan or bowl water and put it int he refrigerator over night to get the fillets really cold. (If the fish were caught during the muddy time of the year she would place the fillets in a bowl of water containing baking soda or she would sometimes cover the fillets with 7-up soda and place the bowl int he refrigerator overnight to take the muddy flavor out of the fish)

In the morning she would cut the fillets into small chunks and then take her Waring Blender (This was back in the 1950's and 60's before the age of food processors) and place the blender on grind. She would grind the chunks of fish and then make patties out of the ground fish binding the fish with cornmeal. Then she would take a greased cookie sheet and make a layer of fish patties and cover the layer with wax paper then put another layer of fish patties on the first and so on and so on until the fish was used up.

She would place the cookie sheet of fish patties in the freezer and freeze them. Then in winter or whenever she wanted a quick meal she would go down and take a couple of the patties out let them thaw and fry them for lunch.

She would serve the fish patties on toast and pour creamed peas over the top. Mmmm! I can still taste them in my mind and Grandma has been dead for about 15 years now.

Maybe it is just me though, but I make Grnadma's fish patties from time to time and they never taste as good as hers used to for some reason? Anyway, I have a few more ideas for fish if anyone wants them. Let me know!

Tight Lines!

Uncle Kes

UncleKes    0
UncleKes

CK. Before you start smoking fish you might want to look at the following website. http://www.about.com Go to their food and Drink section and then look up their barbecue chapter. It explains the various differences between hot smoking and cold smoking, What fish are to use and other things.

Basically fish fall into 2 catagories. Oily Fish and Dry Fish. Examples of Oily fish would be Salmon, Trout, Carp, etc. Dry fish would be Walleye, Pike, and so on.

Most people use oily fish like Carp or Buffalo or Salmon to smoke. because the oil absorbs the smoke so much better and the meat therefore absorbs the smoke flavor better than a dry fish. Smoking merely sweats the fish oils out of the fish and it lies on the meat or skin. The oil absorbs the smoke and saturates the meat and it takes on the smoky flavor we all love!

However that does NOT mean you cannot smoke Pike or Walleye or Panfish. It will mean you will have to baste the fish from time to time and the fish probably won't be as smoky tasting as an oily fish but that does not mean it won't be smoky tasting. You will have to play around with various oils if you want to try smoking a dry fish some are too heavy and satute the delicate fillets with an oily taste. Use a pastry brush or failing that buy a 2 inch paint brush and baste the fillets with that.

I have smoked pike and walleye and I personally have found that a good bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil works best. Eachg time you baste use a light coating of Oilive Oil on each fillet on both sides.

But bear in mind that you must baste the fish continuously throughout the smoking process and that is something that few people have the patience for. You need a lot of time, lots of Olive Oil and a lot of patience.

Next! Before you decide to smoke the fish (whether it is a Dry or Oily fish) I would NOT use Hickory wood or Briquettes. or Mesquite. I have tried them and while they will do the job the smoke the give off does not flavor fish as well as a fruitwood.

I would try to find some apple wood or Cherry wood. Never NEver NEVer NEVEr NEVER use Chokecherry wood. Not unless you want to die from cyanide poisoning. When you burn chokecherry wood the cyanide is released into the smoke and it taints the meat. So know a bit about the woods you can safely use for cooking. Usually with fish it is best to stick with a fruit wood. However, like I say; some fruit woods can have deadly effect so stick with those fruit woods that you know about and you know are safe.

Like any other living organism plants develop defense mechanisms in order to keep from being eaten and to survive and all too often these defense mechanisms take the form of poisons that can be deadly! Noist of the really nasty posons out there come to us from the Plant world. Like Hemlock, Cyanide, Arsenic, etc. So think safe before you do use it.

Good Luck!

Tight Lines!

Uncle Kes

palisade1kid    0
palisade1kid

Thanks for the tips.I use mesquite chips.

I was kidding about those CC's except for some of the pickling I'll do with them,but your info was great .

I just had 2 groups of 2 too the house for 2 seperate seminars.

What a night.

I even lent out 2 flashers for 1 group to try to win that tourny tommorow on Big Sandy.We will see how they do.I showed them videos and tied up spring bobbers.It's kinda like sending your offspring to school for the 1st time.

I hope they have fun!