Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grousehunter

lure making

3 posts in this topic

For making spinners and float lindy rigs what would be a good size and brand of hook to use? Would mono or flurocarbon be better for line? I was leaning towards flurocarbon in case i was fishing clearer waters. Thanks for the tips,

Blake

In general I would use size 6 gamakatsu hooks and a flourocarbon. If you are looking at using minnows I'd make a few with size 4 hooks. For crawlers I use size 6. For leeches sometimes I go down to size 8. If you plan on fishing mille lacs or some other 'trophy' water where you will most likely be catching fish 22+ inches I'd stick with 6 and maybe a couple 4's. If I'm making rigs with multiple hooks I prefer to select a hook the same color as my blade or another hot color (usually chartruese) for my lead hook. But that's just me. I'm sure someone else will chime in with their tried and true recipes.

I use #4 Fang or Mustad Octopus Beak.

There are other brands that have the same bend, shank, eye, and gap and I'll use them as well. As long as they have those characteristics I buy by price and availability.

I'll tie all my harnesses with that hook. Slip bobbing leeches, same hook, rigging, same hook.

I'll downsize to a #7 for my Streamer harnesses and yarn flies.

Quality comes from components but the snells are craftsmanship. If you don't know how to make a single or multiple snells for harnesses you can find an on-line guide.

All my harnesses get a barrel swivel. Attached to my mainline is a locking snap swivel. Between the two I never have a problem with line twist. Makes rigging up fast and when I lose one to a snag its cheap.

I use 12lb clear mono for the harnesses.