• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Santana Gone???

Fishing_High

All over Espn Twins wanted there final offers for CYtana by the afternoon. It really sounds like he could be traded to the Mets at anytime. What's everyones thoughts on this? The deal sounds like there best prospect in Fernando Martinez isn't included instead its centered around CF Carlos Gomez who is supposed to be one of the fastest guys in the MLB and P Phil Humber and two more minor leaguers. I am just glad all these rumors are about to go away and we are going to know if were going to have him or not for the season. I like our team either way but would like to keep Santana.

Here's what Rotoworld had to say:

Report: Twins accept Mets' offer for Santana

Santana

USA Today believes the Mets have landed Johan Santana from the Twins for Carlos Gomez, Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber.

A contract extension would still have to be worked out, so even if it is officially agreed to, this will likely linger through Friday at least. It's a pretty disappointing day for Twins fans. Both packages being discussed by the Red Sox and Yankees during the winter meetings seemed more attractive to us. Gomez and Guerra are big-time talents, but Gomez lacks plate discipline and might not fit in the top half of the lineup and an awful lot could go wrong before Guerra even sniffs the majors. Mulvey and Humber are third starters at best and probably more like fourths. It's a whole lot better than losing Santana for draft picks next winter, but we'd have taken a Phil Hughes or Jacoby Ellsbury package over this. Jan. 29 - 4:29 pm et

yup Mets have a 48-72 hour window to work out a contract extension with him. I really think Bill Smith over played his hand. I wouldn't have minded the deal if they got fernando Martinez. I right with you the Yankees and Sox offers were better.

Wow, what a joke. Another case of Minnesota being an all-star breeding ground. We always love to give our superstars away for NOTHING when it comes time to pay them. What was your favorite Johan moment???? And who's next? I can't think of any future hall of famers that the Wild have given away for nothing lately, I'd say they're due!! Gaborik?

Did some forum skimming on Rotoworld as well and for the most part the consensus is the Twins got hosed with out Martinez in the deal, though evidently we did end up with the Met's #2,#3,#4, and #7 prospects. Another post indicated that the players involved with the Yanks and Sox had players who were more Major League ready currently, but the ceiling for the prospects involved in the Mets deal is higher long term. I think it will be a classic "wait and see how it plays out" type of deals. A couple other notes I read. Evidently, the Twins came back to Santana with an increased offer, which he refused. So, I think it was pretty evident he wanted out of MN. I guess he also indicated that he would not waive his "no trade clause" once the season had started. Also read that the Yankees had pulled Hughes off the table in their offer.

Although the Mets still need to work out a contract with Johan. The Mets made it clear they werent going to give him anything more then a 5 year contract.

I'm sure at this point they'll work something out. What were the twins going to offer him?? 5 million a year and a chance to share the field with Mike Lamb?!?!?!?

20 million for 4 years, on top of the 08 contract for 13.25 million. Plus roumored the Twins made one higher offer before letting the deal go. I would say they tried!

Yeah, I know. It always seems like they "try". Just so frustrating to see a future hall of famer go. Looks like it could be an extremely long and frustrating rebuilding period.

Prospects --

Hard to believe you could not have gotten more than that.

I like the BoSox deal best.

I guess the Twins really wanted him outta the AL so they don't have to face him every year. Rumor was Santana turned down a 5/100 million from the Twins.

In my opinion if you're going to go through that much trouble to not have to face someone, they are probably worth pursuing a little more than the twins did.

I'm sorry to see him go but I think they got the most they could for him. It appears that the twins tried to keep him but I think it was pretty apparent that that was not going to happen. I am glad that he will be in the NL, it will be interesting to see what he bats. I will never forget the bunt fake that he pulled back on and hit to the gap....good stuff

From what it sounds like, the Twins got the Mets 2,3,4 and 7th best prospects. The "G" brothers Carlos Gomez and Deolis Guerra are 2 of the best up and coming rookies in all of MLB. Sounds like they will be a great asset in the very near future. Everyone knew it was going to happen, but if the prospects pay off, it may just be worth it, especially with Morneau and Cuddyer locked up, it could be a good year!

My opinion is this.

Johan WAS great, now he's good.

He's not worth the $20M+ a year that he thinks he deserves, just as Torii wasn't worth the money he got, just as Silva wasn't.

I think the problem with Johan is that he was relying on his changup too much. There were many hitters last year that said they'd just wait on the changeup.

Sure, it was good at first, but soon batters are going to figure it out.

Sure Johan lost alot of 3-2 games, but in the past he would have won those games 2-1.

Let him go. There's no one worth paying almost 1/5 of your entire team's salary, even 1/7, especially in this market.

My first reaction to the trade was one of "you have to be kidding me" with what they're getting back.

But really, how do any of us really know? I guarantee you that none of us are up to speed with just what offers were out there now or two months ago. None of us know the prospects that were offered from other teams or what they're getting from the Mets like the Twins do. All we can do is read the reports that are out there and come to conclusions from that. But none of us really know and none of us have a feel for these players like the people in the Twins' front office. Has anyone watched any of these guys play even one game? I know I sure haven't.

Who's to say that guys like Ellsbury and Hughes will be better than the prospects we are getting from the Mets? Sure, on paper and what they have proven so far in their careers, it sure looks like they will. But we don't know and we won't for a number of years.

Like I said, my first reaction wasn't a good one. But when you're dealing a star for prospects, it's like playing the lottery. You might hit big or you might not. Right now I'm definitely skeptical. But all we can do is play this thing out now and see what happens. I'll hope for the best and I'll be a Twins fan like I am every year regardless.

Aaron

I do not know what to think anymore.

You look back at a few of our "not so good deals" and they work out for the better.

Who wanted to see Frankie Viola, Eric Milton, at the time Gary Gaetti, Tom Brunansky, Bert Blyleven go, some times it just works out in the end.

Some of these guys success continued, others were done when they left and we thought how could you?

I am sure there is more players all over the league this happens to, but the Twins just seem to make things like this a positive move.

I guess I am a huge Twins fan and willing to see what happens.

We won't know who got hosed on this deal until 5 years from now. Santana could blow out his elbow in spring training you never know or he could keep piling up Cy Young's for years to come. What do I think.....He's in the NL, we don't have to face him. Lets give these prospects a chance and see what happens.

I was kinda [PoorWordUsage] off too when this went through and we didnt get the Martinez kid, but I think in Gomez we got another guy to compete for the CF position with Span and Pirdie. They still have a good core of players in Moreneau, Mauer and Cuddyer, and to add Young and Monroe to the mix helps. The only thing thats going to hurt us is the young rotation now, and we get Liriano back which is somewhat of a relief, and we still have Baker, Boof, Slowey, but it will be an interesting year to say the least! This is just looking at it in a positive note which is all you can do, unless the Santana trade doesnt go down through and we are stuck with him and trade him later in the season.

I think overall the trade was a decent one. If we paid santana we just would have to get rid of other up and comming players down the road. We have a good young team right now that has the talent to be really good, but it all comes down to if people live up to how they are suppose to perform. If they do i just hope we keep people around and pay them instead of constantly rebuilding the team. It seems as soon as you get to know and really like the players we have a bunch of our better players get sent away for supposed up and commers(prospects). Hopefully liriano will come back strong and take the place of santana. He definatly has proven that he has the talent to do it. I think we have a good pitching staff even without santana, they just need experience. I definatly will be missing that definate chanse and most times gaurantee of a win that comes from santana though.

Its really not the Twins fault, we cant compete with the big market teams without a salary cap. The Yankees have over $220 million this year, and they said they arent done, they would like to add a couple free agents yet. Until MLB gets a salary cap, all of the small market teams will be just farm systems for the big 3-6 market teams.

I didnt want to see Johan go, but it looks like the Twins tried to keep him and offered him more then what I thought they would. He didnt take it because of greed, just like Hunter, and I loose respect for players like that so good ridens.

Now lets play ball!

I wouldn't say it's just greed. NY is a better situation for Johan. Along with getting paid more, he's now on an instant contender, a large market, and gets to play in the NL (which has weaker hitters, and Santana can hit himself) The Twins front office said goodbye to Santana last year when they traded Castillo. Letting Hunter and Silva go without a fight was the final nail in the coffin. This was the 4th best package that was offered, but we'll see.

Maybe after signing Morneau and Cuddyer the Twins couldn't afford players the quality offered by the Yankees and Red Sox. They had to get players they could pay a few years down the road. ??

I understand your point, but when those "players" get a few years down the road, we just start the process over again, by trading them for more prospects.