• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

USA Today: Santana going to Mets

IFallsRon

I forgot you know everything Pier, very funny about the Windy comment.

Ok I will admit I was bad with my math, but anyone who thinks the twins have been competitive over the last 10 years or whatever we have been discussing you must have been watching a different team. They may have been in the division but outside, give me a break.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mnwild

• Windy City Walleye Hunter

• Scott K

• PierBridge

yes they are. I swear I have spent more time on this site today than any other day I can tell by all the work I haven't done yet.

Pier,

Though I am usually in the "chain yanking" mode, I am telling the God's honest truth about the Vegas stuff. Look it up man, we were there from the 10th thru the 14th. If this is not what you are talking about then let me know. You know I will tell you when I am yanking your chain. I love to take full credit for any chain yanking.

Windy

So Wild,

Your place or mine? LOL

Is it wrong for two grown men to grill steaks in their bathrobes while listening to ABBA?

Windy

Originally Posted By: mnwild
yes they are. I swear I have spent more time on this site today than any other day I can tell by all the work I haven't done yet.

I'm with ya there. Should have seen how long it took to get the last 10 year stats. LOL Very little has been accomplished today.

LMAO.

Your something else. Grilling in bathrobes..

Last time I saw a person grill in their bathrobe was Joe Mauers Grandpa, Grandpa Jake. That was back at the begining of November. He was wearing a Minnesota Twins custom made bathrobe had the #7 Mauer on the back which he got from Joe through the Texas Rangers. Rangers gave one to all twins players when they played them last year in Texas. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. I had to tell him that so I did and he just laughed and told me to have another beer from his fridge so I did.

I have no idea what your talking about regarding Vegas!

Anyway I guess success outside the division is in the eye of the beholder or arbitrary.

Lets go back 20 years and we will start with the two biggest spenders far and away.

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007 2 pennants and 2 WS titles in the last 20 years.

NY Yankees 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 4 WS titles or double what the Twins have.

Detroit Tigers AL 1984 1 pennant 1 WS.

Oakland Athletics AL 1989 1 pennant 1 WS

Baltimore Orioles AL who spend a ton of cash and have put a miserable team on the field for decades....ZIPO!

Chicago White Sox 2005 1 pennant and 1 WS in the last 100 hundred years, again spending tons of dough only to field many poor teams.

Cleveland Indians AL another big spender and ZILCH to show for it.

Minnesota Twins AL 2 Pennants 2 WS Championships and 5 division titles and thats with losing all of our good players and never signing anybody heck I'm surprised we even had 9 players to field a team during this stretch....LOL

New York Mets NL....ROTFLMAO>>>...good luck Yohan.

Toronto Blue Jays AL 2 1992, 1993...2 pennants and 2 WS

Anaheim Angels AL 1 2002.... Good luck Tori don't spend it all in one place.

Kansas City Royals AL 1 1985

Washington Senators AL 1 1924

We won't mention the rest of the teams who have failed in these category's.

Wild, the Twins since 2001 have been one of the top teams in baseball, year in, year out and their record proves it. They have been plenty competitive lately. Going back before that though, there were mostly terrible for 10 years. It goes in cycles, that is how a small market team works.

My one gripe with the Twins during this recent period of winning seasons, was that they never added that extra piece to get over the top. We basically wasted having the best pitcher in baseball + a solid core by not adding that piece. With the core and pitching staff we have had these last few years, there is absolotely NO reason we should not have had at least one WS appearance or WS title.

Johan will be missed and it is a shame that we were never able to make it anywhere while he was dominating the league like we have never seen before here in Twins territory.

Pier, Cleveland is not and has never been a team to spend tons of money. They are a smaller market than the Twin Cities. Other than a few years right around the time of their new stadium, I doubt they have cracked the top 1/4 of the league in payroll.

Also, you must be forgetting the dominance that Cleveland displayed throughout the mid to late 90's. They were every bit as competive as the Twins and won plenty(6, 5 in a row) since the Central was formed) division titles and have a WS appearance.

Cleveland may be a smaller market, but they generate more revenue than the Twins do. The size of the market doesn't matter if the market doesn't generate revenue. These are the only years stats I could find quickly.

Cleveland Indians

Estimated Franchise value $319 million

Revenue generated $139 million

Payroll $41.5 million

Minnesota Twins

Estimated Franchise value $178 million

Revenue generated $102 million

Payroll $56.2 million

I realize these numbers are a few years old, but the Indians seem to be "cheaper" as far as putting money in their pocket then the Twins are.

With the new stadium these numbers will change, but I found them interesting.

Originally Posted By: Willy
They were every bit as competive as the Twins and won plenty(6, 5 in a row) since the Central was formed) division titles and have a WS appearance.

That's true they lost that heart breaker WS to the Marlins in the late 90's and did field some very good teams.....

Good find Coach1310!

Originally Posted By: Willy

My one gripe with the Twins during this recent period of winning seasons, was that they never added that extra piece to get over the top. We basically wasted having the best pitcher in baseball + a solid core by not adding that piece. With the core and pitching staff we have had these last few years, there is absolotely NO reason we should not have had at least one WS appearance or WS title.

Can't argue with that!

I don't think anyone can argue that, even I can agree they never added a few more pieces to their team to get over the hump. But time to go have a few beers.