Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
graingrower

Clark Lake

10 posts in this topic

Is anyone familiar with this lake? I spoke with one spear fisherman that lives near the hockey camp; he reported slow action for northerns and spotty sunfish catches in about 15 feet of water. Does this lake have a crappie population? Is there suitable stucture to find panfish? I appreciate any help.

Do a lake find on dnr.state.mn.us lake finder. Read the gill nets and trap net reports. Look at the lake map. Find deep holes and point and weed lines that look good (sharp drop offs, extenders, ect..) Go to the lake and spend some time. Learn the lake.

Good things take time, so take the time and you shall receive good rewards.

With all due respect, a forum of this nature is to collaborate on-line with people of similar interests. The man simply asked if anyone knows the lake and can share some knowledge. The deal is - if you can help the poster then jump-in, but no need for any lectures.

I will agree though that the DNR lake finder is a great resource.

Learn the lake and you will appreciate the fish you catch more then if someone told you to use a minnow at this exact time and location. (Which no one will tell you on this board)

Personally I know nothing about this lake, but I could get info of dnr web site and Fish it one day, and have a clear understanding of fish patterns.

The next time I go, I work them patterns and try different baits.

The DNR Lake Finder is definitely a great resource, I have to agree. When I want to fish a lake that I've never been to it's the first place I go to in order to help me learn a bit about the lake. I've never fished Clark either. But I've looked at the Lake Finder information a number of times and feel I "know" the lake much better as a result. If graingrower didn't know about Lake Finder, I'm sure he's much better off with the information provided by shadow. Hopefully it wasn't taken as a lecture.

Aaron

It sounded kind of smart azzed to me as well AWH...

The DNR lake finder can be a good tool as for depths and structure but alot of the netting was done so long ago the info they give as to fish populations is irrelevent........

Thank you shadow, itsawash, AWH, and ozzie. I searched lakefinder and studied the species population spreadsheet from 1999. The map shows depth and distance but I need input on how to determine if the panfish weedbeds are present. Can experienced map readers envision structure by looking at a topograhpic map? Thank you all again.

If you want nice panfish I would try one of the Cullen's. Lots of small, stunted fish on Clark.

From what I have heard about Clark and looking at the DNR information - Clark has very clear water with lots of vegetation. Per the DNR site, weeds grow out to 18 feet. My guess is that you'll find very good weed growth around possibly the entire lake out to 12 to 14 feet.

As far as reading a map like you see on the DNR site. You can speculate and make some educated guesses on weeds based on how fast the break drops, shallow bays, etc. But without knowing the bottom content (rocks, sand, muck, etc.) all that you can really do is guess.

Aaron