• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bahamas or Hawaii

fishinJohn

So my wife and I were planning to go to Cheq. Bay some time in March for the chance to chase some species we never have been able to fish for. Today I find out she won some tickets to her choice of the Bahamas or Hawaii or some place in Mexico. We are leaning towards Hawaii. I would really like to fish if we could since it is going to take the place of a fishing trip. Anyone have an opinion or experience that could help us decide? First time I am posting a problem I am glad to have. grin.gif

If you have never been to Hawaii it is a must see, Mexico is nice but you have to have a passport and they take some time to get. I dont think you can go wrong with either of these, Where in Mexico??

Hawaii is Expensive, but as Bassman said it's a place you MUST SEE. For fishing, Bahamas.....check out the Fly fishing forum for some of the Bonefishing fun you can have there (you could also do light spinning for the little guys.)

If the trip to the Bahamas is to Grand Bahama Island, then check out the other trips. I was not impressed by the island, too much lost infrastructure from a rash of hurricanes in the last 5 years. It just seemed like the fishery around the island had been pounded...I dunno, I also fished it in January when it isn't supposed to be so good. Fishingwise I would go with Exuma or some of the other islands if you go with the Bahamas

Can't speak for Hawaii but want to go there some day.

Lots of good fishing in Mexico. Depends on where you go really.

So let us know where they would send you and you might get better responses with more depth.

Cheq. Bay ain't a bad backup plan for the rest of us who can't go someplace warmer!

Back in my Navy days I spent a lot of time in the Carribiean. May I suggest the area around St. Lucia.

I've been to the Bahamas and I found it very touristy. I've been to Hawaii, but in honesty I've never seen it. All I saw was the ships boiler room.

I enjoyed myself HUGE in the St. Lucia area. Awesome fishing and the tourist aspect isn't nearly as great as the more frequented islands.

Just tossing an idea your way. Enjoy your trip, wherever it may be.

Originally Posted By: jpz
Hawaii is Expensive, but as Bassman said it's a place you MUST SEE. For fishing, Bahamas.....check out the Fly fishing forum for some of the Bonefishing fun you can have there (you could also do light spinning for the little guys.)

You left out an important word- VERY expensive. Cab ride from Pearl Harbor Navy Base to Waikiki- $60. Distance- 10 miles(this was in 1996, so I am sure it has gone up with fuel prices). I got to spend a week there when I was in the Navy, and it was a blast, very beautiful, but- too many tourists. My homeport was Guam, and Guam was very similar in landscape and climate of course, but tourists were minimal there. USS Arizona is a must see.

My son just got married on Oahau, just north of Waikiki (site of the Sony Open). We stayed on Kauai at a Marriott resort that we traded our timeshare for (wow a 5 star resort) and flew over for the wedding the day. From what we seen and people we talked to, Kauai is definetly the "garden island", secluded beaches, lush sceenry and a very relaxed atmosphere, and all beaches, at all resorts, are public and can be used by everyone plus the big boggie/surf beaches are all public. I don't know much about the night life we're 50ish, and with the 4 hr time change, 10pm. was late enough. Plenty to do, catamaran tours/wale watching, Waiamia Canyon (mini grand canyon), Zip line tours (tree top), rain forest. Food and drink most places was 50% more than most metro chain type restraunts.

Oahau/Waikiki was touristy and busy but with much more to do, (fantastic sushi), more of a younger place, had the very upscale stuff plus more moderate stuff but a hevey Japanesse influence. A cab ride from Waikiki to the airport, 20+ min., was $43.00.

Everyone said Maui was the place to go if your looking for a lot of party stuff and a very busy time.

A buddy of mine went to the Bahammas 5 years ago, said it was very expensive and this guy makes a good living and spends like a drunken sailor. the plus side would be: no time zone change and better fishing, Hawaii on the other hand is very americanized and has no cultural barriors.

Have fun. HTB

Where in Mexico?? Or do you have a choice there? Are you more concerned about beach stuff, or is fishing a priority for you?

GO TO OAHU!! It's the most beautiful place I've ever been! Anywhere in the bahamas is a dump compared to it, especially Nassau.

Originally Posted By: zamboni

You left out an important word- VERY expensive. Cab ride from Pearl Harbor Navy Base to Waikiki- $60. Distance- 10 miles(this was in 1996, so I am sure it has gone up with fuel prices). I got to spend a week there when I was in the Navy, and it was a blast, very beautiful, but- too many tourists. My homeport was Guam, and Guam was very similar in landscape and climate of course, but tourists were minimal there. USS Arizona is a must see.

To be fair, the cabbie was profiling you. All cabs, ESPECIALLY ones from bases, will gouge you. This is no different than the taxis in Mexico. They can spot a tourist from a mile away, and take advantage of that. Plus, there is a strong anti-military sentiment on the island. Many locals are still bitter about the overthrow of our queen and the US annexation of Hawaii in 1898, and the subsequent stronghold the military has on the islands.

Hawaii is expensive if you let it be. If you do all of the tourist things, you will put a serious dent in your wallet. If you do local things like take the bus, eat at local restaurants, and avoid waikiki, you will do just fine.

I've been to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta), the Carribean (Anguilla, St. Maarten) and was born and grew up in Hawaii (Oahu). They are all wonderful places to go, and all have their pitfalls, like being heavily touristed, expensive, environmentally impacted, etc. Of the three choices you mentioned, I would pick Hawaii. It is less hassle with immigration, and you don't have to change your money over. Everyone speaks english, though pidgin' english is sometimes undecipherable to the untrained ear ;\) . Hawaii is removed enough from the mainland US that is will feel like it's own country, and you will get a taste of the "island mentatility". If you could choose an island to go to, go to the Big Island. Maui is a tourist trap. Kauai was my favorite island to visit as a kid, but is now getting commercialized. The Big Island has a little of everything from the islands: rainforests, waterfalls, active volcanos, historic villages and other landmarks, reefs, beaches, and good fishing.

I believe March is still a decent time to go fishing. Charters are expensive, but are probably the best way to find fish. I've fished tuna and mahimahi a few times with my family, it is a blast, and the fish taste incredible.

Either way, have fun and enjoy your trip!

We won a trip to Hawaii and had a great time. Unless the the laws have changed, you have to claim the trip and pay taxes.

I have been to both the Bahamas and Hawaii and I will not go back to the bahamas. The cost to go to Hawaii is much more, but it is much better money spent IMHO. I have been to all islands and I will agree that Oahu is the place I would start if I only had one chance to go. However, I never did fish at either location so if thats what you are looking for I cant help.

Deadhead- theres a meter on the dash, and since they use the US dollar in a US state (gasp), the money conversion was surprisingly easy, $60=$60, I highly doubt we got gouged. In a week we took a cab into Waikiki almost every night, except the one night I had duty and had to stay on the ship, and the cab fare was always pretty much the same, give or take $2-$5. Best thing was to travel 5 or 6 guys and splitting up the fare wasn't too bad.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
Deadhead- theres a meter on the dash, and since they use the US dollar in a US state (gasp), the money conversion was surprisingly easy, $60=$60, I highly doubt we got gouged. In a week we took a cab into Waikiki almost every night, except the one night I had duty and had to stay on the ship, and the cab fare was always pretty much the same, give or take $2-$5. Best thing was to travel 5 or 6 guys and splitting up the fare wasn't too bad.

the point I was making was, if you are using a taxi in hawaii you will get ripped off. They are extremely expensive. plus, I'm convinced that those cabbies have separate rates in their fare meter for "haoles" ;\)