• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FLASHERS

Im looking at purchasing a new flasher. I currently have a FL8 and it is just getting tired. I have looked at vexilars and Marcum's. I would like to keep it under 400$. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and any other brands that would be recomended.

Thanks

Check vexilars website and if your near the south metro I'd run down to vexilar and pick a reconditioned. They will still give you a warranty and they work good as new.

I disagree i would go for a fl-3 marcum its better than the fl-18 vexilar! It has the zoom feature has 1500 watts of power(vexilars only have 1000 or 800) And the best part about it is the interference button is way better on marcum than vexilar. I was at the brainerd tourney and i received far less interference than my buddy did on his fl-8. MARCUM all the way! check out craigslist i found a used one that had been used 6 times almost brand new for 260.. [PoorWordUsage] of a deal for me, i just kept looking and looking. Hope this helps. And if you dont beleave me i did the research comparing the two and about 80% of people chose marcum over vexilar that had used both. Google marcum vs vexilar.

Marcum Lx3 !!! you simply can not go wrong with this purchase. Its everything you need and more at a graet price. Compare the vexilar and Marcum and I'm sure you'll go with the marcum.

There's been A LOT of Marcum and Vexilar discussion in the Ice Fishing and Equipment forums.

Currently I have an Lx3 and an Lx5 and they are both great units.

I'm not anti Vex. I have LX5, but would be happy with LX5, FL20, LX3, FL18, as I used them all except the LX3. Watch for sale prices and I bet you can get LX5 or FL20 for under $400. I got my LX5 and neighbor got his FL20 last year about this time both for right around $400 each.

Good luck, enjoy whatever you get.

I still can't understand why both are great units. I am and always will be a vex guy. I had some minor issues with mine and brought it down to them and they took care of me in minutes not days. Probably the nicest company I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. They have a lifetime customer in me. Since my better half has gotten into icefishing now I will have to give up my 18 and upgrade to the 20, but I will still use the 18 in summer for the bottom lock.

I have had the pleasure of meeting some of MarCum Technologies' "higher ups" and can tell you that you will never find a nicer, more helpful and considerate company ever. Period. That being said, I don't think this website is anti-Vexilar, on some level a flasher is a flasher, and Vexilars certainly do what they are supposed to. But technologically a FL-18 isn't even close to an LX-3, let alone an LX-5, they are like comparing an atari to a playstation. Both play games, but one is far superior in the field of technology. The reason MarCum made the VX-1 was because they were tired of people thinking that an FL-18 compared to their top unit at the time, the LX-3. So they made a unit that was the equal of their competitor's top unit (the FL-18) and turned aroudn to sell it as their cheapest, which shows you how Vexilar compares to them. I used to own an FL-8, and now own a LX-3, and you will never find me fishing with a Vexilar again, ever, because the MarCum is such a superior product. Buy the MarCum VX-1, and if you can afford it, upgrade to a LX-3 or LX-5, you will never regret it.

Originally Posted By: NAPAFISH
This is website is so Anti-Vexilar, I would consult the guys at your local baitshops.

The FM staff is not anti-Vex or anti anything for that matter. We buy our gear like you do and our recommendations are based on our research/use. I, for example, highly recommend the Lowrance units for ice fishing and currently use a 522C and a X67c. I also have a Marcum LX 5 which I am testing this winter and like it alot. I have had Vex's in the past and they are great units. IMHO Marcum has some extra features that make for a better unit for the $$$ and I have stated that. If you want a summer unit for the boat that is also very capable on the ice Lowrance has some excellent units that will do the trick. The 522c with GPS is about as good as it gets for an all around do everything in one package unit winter and summer.

Just to make it very clear the FM staff recommends what we have used and liked. Simple as that. We are not anti anything and you can't go wrong with either a Vexilar or Marcum or Lowrance.

Originally Posted By: NAPAFISH
This is website is so Anti-Vexilar, I would consult the guys at your local baitshops.

I challenge you to find a post by a staff member saying that that a Vexilar is no good.

If we are asked to recommend a product and make a recommendation, it is based on one of two things. We love what we are currently using, or we've tryed everything else and based on that, this is what we recommend.

Originally Posted By: WallyGator12000
I have had the pleasure of meeting some of MarCum Technologies' "higher ups" and can tell you that you will never find a nicer, more helpful and considerate company ever. Period.

All companies have great guys and a-holes.

This debate will rage on for years. Personally I went with the Showdown and love it. I will eventually purchase a Vexi or a Marcum down the road but I have zero complaints on the nature vision...its usability is excellent and it worked easily and correctly right out of the box.

If you want something a little less expensive go for the vx1. It has the zoom feature and runs around 250 and i got a 30 dollar re bait. I wouldn't go fishing without it.

I used a buddies LX-5 last night and WOW that extra zoom make a world of differance! I will be getting one this coming year and can't wait!

I am a FM staffer, and put me down on record as saying MarCum and Vexilar are both great units. With that being said, I bet someone else will enter the market in the relatively near future. And, I bet that it combines and improves the best features of both manufacturers. That's what I am betting, and that's all I can say. ;\)

Not sure haw far of a drive it is for you but the cabelas bargin cave was nice to me picked up my FL-12 for @$200 was missing the float. @$5.00 and i was in buisness. Never hurts to look there, sometimes you can find good deals on things you dont even need, but cant pass up the price.

If you keep your eye's peeled you can find great deals on flashers all over the place. Try pawn shops from time to time. Even though one would think Ebay would be a good place to get a deal usually the flashers sell for top dollar in terms of used/new prices. If your lucky you could stumble across a buy it now and save some money.

My first flasher was a Zercom Color Point. It was a good unit but the plastic on the two control knobs fell off right away. Up until going missing it was a good unit. Not 100% sure but think Marcum took over Zercom but could be wrong.

Currently have a FL8, two FL8SLT's, FL18, and FL20. Until using the FL20 lately my favorite unit was the FL8SLT, very simple to operate and easy to read. The zoom sure is a nice option though with the 18 and 20. As far as easy to read the 20 hands down is the best in the group. With it's flat screen it's easy to read in most all situations.

Picked up the FL8 in new condition a couple years ago for $75 from a friend who was broke. One of the FL8SLT's was bought new the other was bought for $170 with a bad transducer. The FL18 was bought from my brother who was broke for $225. The FL20 was bought for full price right after it came out. Three are in Ultra Pacs with the covers which are nice!

Originally Posted By: Crappiewanter
Not sure haw far of a drive it is for you but the cabelas bargin cave was nice to me picked up my FL-12 for @$200 was missing the float. @$5.00 and i was in buisness. Never hurts to look there, sometimes you can find good deals on things you dont even need, but cant pass up the price.

Nice score! A couple years ago picked up an Aqua Vu for $115 in the bargain cave. All the other cameras that were the same model were $225 used. It was a good buy and it still works perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to post here to bring it back to the top of the page......a lot of you guys crack me up! It is the forever Coke versus Pepsi, Ford versus Chevy, Blondes versus Brunettes. I think a lot of us joke around about it...but at the end of the day, if it helped you catch fish..it is all that matters. Until Vexilar or Marcum comes up with a flasher that also rubs my back and feet while I fish...THEY WORK THE SAME! Anyway....just had to voice my opinion. Anyone that really thinks one is better then the other is just argumentative in nature.

it seems that the vx-1 is pretty close to the fl-8se, except for the zoom. I recently purchased a fl-8se and got a great deal on it. if your only fishing in 20-30 ft of water, which most lakes in the cities are, zoom really isn't necessary.

I like my fl-8se and don't think I would want anything else, buddies of mine have vx-3's and 5's and for the extra money, will it make you a better fisherman.....maybe.....will it help you catch more fish.....maybe....but I think it all boils down to the more expensive the better....which most of the time is not the case. sometime the simpler the unit the better, all it needs to do is show there are fish down there and the rest is up to the fisherman to use the right bait and lures to catch the fish. am I saying that one is better then the other....not really...I'm saying that they are all good how ever you shake a stick at it.

theres my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: tip_upclyma
I just had to post here to bring it back to the top of the page......a lot of you guys crack me up! It is the forever Coke versus Pepsi, Ford versus Chevy, Blondes versus Brunettes. I think a lot of us joke around about it...but at the end of the day, if it helped you catch fish..it is all that matters. Until Vexilar or Marcum comes up with a flasher that also rubs my back and feet while I fish...THEY WORK THE SAME! Anyway....just had to voice my opinion. Anyone that really thinks one is better then the other is just argumentative in nature.

Just so you know Coke is better than Pepsi, and Ford is better than Chevy, And I'll take both Blondes or Brunettes

I own a lx-5 and a fl-18 both are good units.If you buy one of these two you'll be very happy.

I have owned four generations of the 'Vexilar' 3 color flasher and have never been unhappy with any of them,it came down to up grading when new features became avalible.The Vex. gets my vote!

I have a fl-18 i love it dont get me wrong, but when i fish with my dad and see his marcum lx-5 i can't help but get jelous it's sweet, more defined lines for one thing, and the fl-18 has a bottom lock which zooms in on the bottom 6 feet where as the marcum lx-5 you can move that zoom anywhere in the water column

• 3 months later...

markstanley,

You probably are not monitoring this thread anymore but hope you are. I am looking into the 522c primarily as an ice fishing option because it has a larger screen than my pocket Garmin 76CSx and would use the full sized LakeMaster chip I use in my Lowrance LCX-19c. Can you say anything more about your experience ice fishing with the 522c? I just love ice fishing in large part because of the fun of watching action on my flasher (Fl-20) and am a little leary about the 522c if only because I have never used this type of sonar ice fishing.

I own a lx-5 and a fl-18 both are good units.If you buy one of these two you'll be very happy.
Thankyou for saying that, I have the fl/18 Had it 3 witers I think and I love it .I was thinking I was missing out on something. Sounds to me like comperable units have the same features.