Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodduck_MN

Namakan Canoe Trip Early June

5 posts in this topic

I'm planning a Canoe/Fishing trip to Voyagers/Namakan in early June for about 15 guys. We normally head to the BWCA for this trip but our group has gotten too large to stay at one campsite. Two campsite breaks up the group too much. We will be bringing our pontoon and pull the canoes to our base camp.

Any suggestions for campsites and good eye fishing?

After five days camping, we need a place to shower and clean-up, any suggestions? Also a good place for lunch before heading back to the Cities and St. Cloud.

Thanks

I know that Voyagaire Houseboats on Crane Lake offers showers and has a full bar resaurant. Not sure if Nelsons or Pine Point offer showers, but Nelsons does serve food. Trails End Resort is about 8 miles from Crane Lake they offer food the same with Sportmans and the Portage in Buyck. Enjoy your trip!!

Woodduck,

The park has a group site on Kab designed for large groups. You can reserve it and it costs $35 per day. It has plenty of dock space, many tent pads, and an outhouse. It is located on the north shore just west of lost bay and has many good June fishing spots nearby. Go online at http://www.nps.gov/voya to check it out.

-Duckster

Just a heads-up...there are a few islands and bays that will protect you guys if the wind kicks up, but if you get a steady east or west wind, those waves get to be doozies on Namakan, even on a pontoon.

If you're going through Crane, Voyagaire has good food. Nelson's has good food, too, but you might want to clean up a bit before you go there. It's more of a golf-shirt type place, IMO. The DAM in Orr has good cafe/bar food as well. The DAM Burger is one of my favorites!

Thanks duckster,

The site on Kab is not available for the dates we want. We considered the one on Rainy, but I don't think we want get nine miles out on Rainy and have the wind come up.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback too.

We plan on going out of the Ash River Visitors Station and getting one of the camping sites at the west end of the lake on one of the islands.