Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sticknstring

Auger Help!

7 posts in this topic

I've got a Strikemaster LazerMag about 2 years old...

I was drilling a hole on Sunday and as I neared the break-through point, the auger bit stopped spinning and while I tried manuevering it up & down to finish the hole I heard a clank. There's now a "knock" coming from the engine while opening it up. At idle it's fine but once you give er some gas you'll hear that "knock". I know very little about small engines but am thinking it's pretty serious.

Anyone willing to chime in as to what the problem might be and how I can repair it. I've heard all about the superior walk-in service at Strikemaster in Big Lake and was actually going to take it there this morning but got to thinking it's more of a part repair and pitch adjustments rather than engine work there right? I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the hand auger out of the garage until mid-March...

They do it all there. I would take it in and have them give it a once over.

Chad

After talking to a guy at work - sounds like I blew a gear. Pretty sure the "knock" is coming from the gearbox so that's better than the motor... I'm gonna head to Big Lake this afternoon and I'll follow up with an update in case it happens to anyone else.

If your hearing the clank at every revolution then it could be a gear. If your hearing it while under load it could be the clutch no locking up. If thats the case, a carb out of adjustment is normally the culprit because your not getting the inertia to lock up the clutch. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

I know we've all heard this before... but Strikemaster customer service is EXCELLENT. I don't care how fast those Nils cut or if they're lighter, don't try to sell me one!

Evidently 3 teeth had broken off of a gear. I was out the door in no more than 5 minutes with a brand new gear installed, pitch adjustment, and rpm check at NO CHARGE. These guys are good and I'm back on the ice...

Glad to hear they took care of you and got you back on the ice in a timely manor!

Chad

Years ago, I had a MagIII, and blew out the tranny. Brought in the gears, and they pressed off the old and on the new. They did this all free of charge, and that even included the gears. I'm sure they will take care of a 2 y/o unit, because mine was 15 y/o.