Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spazzums08

Tying Bucktail Jigs

4 posts in this topic

Anyone do it? Any tips? What kind of string to use, what knots to use? Thanks for the help guys!

Bucktail can be stubborn stuff. You need a strong thread that you can work under high tension. Flymaster Plus works decently for me. Use a whip finish to bind off the thread. Rather than traditional head cement, I'd suggest you make up a batch of flies/lures/jigs/whatever and then coat the thread wraps on all of them with epoxy. Epoxy is strong, durable stuff, but its limited pot life mandates batch processing. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Spazzums08
Anyone do it? Any tips? What kind of string to use, what knots to use? Thanks for the help guys!

I dress my jigs with craft fur instead of buck tail. Carft fur is a lot easier to use and is more durable.

I've Been tying Clouser deep minnows. I spooled some 3 lb Fireline on to a thread spool (Using a long thin bolt a nut and a drill). I was getting mad with the thread breaking all the time. I no longer have that happen.

Whip finish and clear nail polish. Maybe some black nail polish if I'm just doing heads.

I know that Fireline will expand and contract. If it will to the point of comming loose? I'll have to wait for open water to find out. I'm not to worried. That's what the nail polish is for.

As said above, Epoxy is great stuff. I haven't tryed it on fireline so I don't know if it will react with it or not. I'm thinking I'll have to find out.

Is it Spring Yet?